Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aib bank cards

• 02-05-2004 5:45pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

am traveling in the czech republic, poland and germaney...

will a regular aib bank card work over there?
    dont want to bring lots of cash, a card would be handy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

The AIB card has a "PLUS" sign on the back, this means you can use it in all ATM's. Personally I have used it in Germany, Holland, Belgium, UK and France. I think it's great, because you don't have to bring your holiday money with you all the time.

And i heard it's possible to use it in the States and Canada aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Check the back of your card. If there is a "Link" logo and a "Plus" logo then you should be able to withdraw money from any ATM that displays these logos.

However there are fees associated with oversees withdrawals so you might want to check that with your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

check your card. If it has Maestro and Cirrus logos on the back, it can be used in foreign ATM's. go to the link below and type in the town where you will be and it will show the atm location.

http://www.mastercard.com/atmlocator/index.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

the charges for using your ATM card abroad are immense. When I was travelling to Canada & the US last year I enquired about the charges and after recoiling in horror, I was offered another solution. If you have a credit card, put some money into the account (so it's actually in credit) then use it like an ATM card when you're away. No extra charges and you can always use it to buy stuff in shops if youre too lazy to find or cant find an ATM.

It's definately a better alternative to using the likes of Cirrus or Maestro and far more convenient than bringing travellers cheques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

yea i agree with rymus.....i used my AIB card in Australia and while out of work it was my only way of getting to my money (apart from getting my dad to transfer money when i was really stuck) anyway the charges are massive and also if u lose ur card its a major pain in the ass. i lost mine and it took ages to get another one cos they have to send it to my house, then my parents had to send it to melbourne and then we still had to wait for my pin number. and all this happened around christmas so it took even longer.

i'd say bring the bank card cos its handy but dont rely on it like i did and be aware of the huge charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I have an account with BOI a student one and i just asked them to make mine available for abroad, they gave me a new card a week later and I set up the 365 thing.
    This was handy as i could use the card abroad and check balance online. There was no surcharge for me using it abroad. beware that you can withdraw money in an other country and it will be a delayed transaction. I got an overdraft of 100 and i'm not meant to have an overdraft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The charge per transaction is something idiotic like €10-15 iirc. Your best bet is to get cash for a day or two at a time, if you're worried about it being stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

If you've got a student account, it'll be cheap. Used mine in Canada and the US for the last few years and it worked out fine. If you take out €100 you're charged €1, take out €200 you're charged €2 and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Don't some banks give free banking to students, or does this not apply abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah BOI was free on a student account in germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I was charged a transaction fee of 10-15 on a student account withdrawing stuff in various places around europe with an aib card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My Irish BOI card works in forgein ATMs. My UK one doesn't. They're both Student accounts, and when I asked in my BOI branch, they said that UK student accounts aren't authorised to issue link ATM cards, which is strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

think this is more appropriate here, as it is to do with traveling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Moriarty
    I was charged a transaction fee of 10-15 on a student account withdrawing stuff in various places around europe with an aib card.
    I've never had this. I've used my card in Geramny, Austria, Czech, Greece and I think the US. Was charged 1% on what I withdrew but never as much as 10-15€. I don't recall using it abroad since they cut my free-banking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

If any bank cards work in the Eurozone, they will cost no more than the equivalent transaction in Ireland. i.e. 20-30c at the most.

I used an AIB card in australia a few years ago. The charge was something like 2 euro per transaction plus the usual foregn exchange rate. This was reasonable enough if you took out 100 euro plus at a time.

If you ring/call in to your branch you should get proper clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

With AIB, it only costs 20 cents within the EU to withdraw cash with your ATM card, the same as home. It used to be expensive until they changed their policy on charging fees. It used to be free to withdraw cash with your credit card if you kept a positive balance on it, but since they changed their fees this is no longer the case, 20 cents per withdrawal. So there is no difference in using your credit card or ATM within the EU for withdrawing cash. Only advantage with the credit card is that every ATM machine will take, you might have trouble finding a machine that accepts Plus depending on where you are.

Advertisement