Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty: Torture pattern in Iraq

Options
  • 02-05-2004 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/02/iraq.prisoner.reax/index.html
    A leading human rights group has said graphic pictures shown on TV and in newspapers of alleged abuse of Iraqi prisoners by coalition soldiers are the tip of the iceberg and that it has uncovered widespread torture.
    But Nicole Choueiry, Amnesty's Middle East spokeswoman, said the group had detailed "scores" of reports of ill-treatment over the past year but the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq had ignored them
    "We have said there are patterns of torture by coalition forces," Choueiry told CNN on Sunday.
    Choueiry said the authenticity of images published by the Daily Mirror on Saturday was largely irrelevant. "These pictures are certainly not the only evidence of abuse. They are just the tip of the iceberg."

isolated incident my anal sphincter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is there some reason that this needed an entirely new thread, or why it wasn't appropriate in the myriad of existing threads already discussing this exact same topic?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

new article on CNN... new events unfolding, I think its interesting that amnesty will be publishing a dosier on the 11th of May...

edit - not to mention the other posts on this issue seem to have gone a good bit off topic. This post is specifically for discussing amnesty's statements on the issue, and the wider implications of them.

I'm still waiting for ppl who called this an "isolated incident" to own up that they were wrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'm with you, and I love being right!

Don't those those fascist Bush monkies ever get tired of being wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Memnoch
    new article on CNN... new events unfolding, I think its interesting that amnesty will be publishing a dosier on the 11th of May...

So thats a no then. The same story has progressed, and you feel that because its not where it was a new thread was needed?

May I take this as a suggestion to close every thread on the subject that predates this one, as new events have unfolded and the stuff is clearly no longer current nor relevant?

edit - not to mention the other posts on this issue seem to have gone a good bit off topic.
    /me looks at the big to-and-fro that Memnoch just partook in about America being a rogue state in a thread discussing North Korea's leader and cocks an inquisitive eyebrow.....

I'd rather you didn't mention something as a problem when you are actively contributing to said problem.
    This post is specifically for discussing amnesty's statements on the issue, and the wider implications of them.

Well how nice of you to say.

But why, as a matter of interest, did you think that a thread entitled North Korea's "Leader" may not have been about North Korea's leader, but instead about you, Earthman and vorbis repeatedly going on about whether or not the US is a rogue state.

I mean - if you aren't going to show any respect to topics that others start, but decide to follow any slight remark in there that you're interested in and turn the entire topic into discussing that side-issue.....then what possible grounds have you to either complain about threads going off-topic, or indeed to use it as an excuse for starting multiple threads.

In case you're not getting the hint, I'll be clearer : you starting multiple threads to discuss the same topic, whilst hijacking other topics to discuss the same topic still is part of the problem. So stop putting the cart before the horse and saying that the problem is why you're doing this.
    I'm still waiting for ppl who called this an "isolated incident" to own up that they were wrong :P

Good for you.

The fact that the Amnesty reports refer to apparent systematic abuse by the interrogators, while the incident which made the news is of a seperate nature entirely may mean that your wait is, in fact, quite long, as the two deal with things which are similar in nature but not necessarily related in any meaningful way - especially not in repsect to the conclusions you've been drawing from lumping the two together.

So I hope you enjoy the wait. It could be a very long one, even if people are willing to admit they are wrong if and when it becomes clear that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

"But why, as a matter of interest, did you think that a thread entitled North Korea's "Leader" may not have been about North Korea's leader, but instead about you, Earthman and vorbis repeatedly going on about whether or not the US is a rogue state.
    "

hmm let me see, if you take another look at that thread you will see that i didn't make any comments about america or otherwise till vorbis decided to attack me.

no moderator seemed to correct him on this so I felt I had a right to defend myself.

edit : in any case my intention has never been to hijack anyone's thread, and i'll be extra careful to make sure that i don't do it accidentaly. Though i would appreaciate if I wasn't accused of trying to "run away" from a "tricky" arguement by earthman every time i refuse to participate in an off topic discussion so that, the thread doesn't get "hijacked".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

see bush is making a speech on arabic media tonight to 'explain' that torturing is alright now, as long as it's a hillbilly wearing a coilation uniform of peace and justice and not devilish, vampiritic, frankenstieness of that white wristed deamon sadam. what's the bloody diffrence? I don't know? do you? cos I don't. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Spacedog
    see bush is making a speech on arabic media tonight to 'explain' that torturing is alright now, as long as it's a hillbilly wearing a coilation uniform of peace and justice and not devilish, vampiritic, frankenstieness of that white wristed deamon sadam. what's the bloody diffrence? I don't know? do you? cos I don't. *sigh*

Maybe you were watching different new coverage, but from what I saw he was embarrassed, as he should be, he even looked a bit embarrassed*. Unfortunately he did not have the guts to come out with an explicit apology, left that to one of his spokesmen, Ari Fleischer.

Whether this is the "tip of the iceberg" or not there is enough evidence there already to justify several "resignations" aka sackings up to and including Rumsfield. I hope this culminates in the ultimate sacking for Bush in November

(* maybe that was shifty)

Advertisement