Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem

Options
  • 02-05-2004 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, when I connect to the internet. All applications become unresponsive for a while ( 3-7 minutes) I can browse through my hard drive and other windows like the recycle bin. I can open control panel but the system and internet properties etc. windows wont open. All the programs and the taskmanger wont open during this period either. I dunno for the life of me why this happens.

I have windows updated, AVG updated, Ad-aware updated and everything is clean and clear. Anyone any ideas why XP Pro freezes in this odd manner? CPU is under load or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

turn off automatic update and try again ...could just be that its downloading the latest patches and hosing up your connection so that nothing else gets any bandwidth ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Automatic Updating is off. The connection isnt saturated or anything. IE and stuff just are slow to start and its nothing to do with the CP cos its idle. Waiting the processes to load after a bootup is slow too. Drive is defragged, scan disk was done too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sausages

are you sure its pluged in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Set your homepage to about:blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think you are missing the problem. When I connect to the internet the programs that are already running continue to run fine. But starting others is the problem, the mouse changes to the cursor and timer symbol and go back to normal, nothing happens then about 5-10 minutes later they all pop up straight away.

Another problem, on bootup 25 processes start immediately then it waits around and loads another 10 then I can start doing stuff, its only doing this recently since i updated windows. Drive is Defragged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement