Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG problems

Options
  • 02-05-2004 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Major difficulties with the old pc!
    Running win xp pro. 256mb ram pentium 4

This morning wen I went on the net I got the blaster virus. Have the Symantec fix from before but it didn't work. I used cmd prompt to stop the shutdown and then downloaded AVG antivirus. Ran the software and it found a few worms. Got rid of blaster and most worms but couldn't get rid of sasser b on 3 occasions. While downloading avg I turned on the firewall.
    This must be wen the problem started. I now cannot turn off the firewall. The option isn't there. It should be under properties of the connection, right?
    Also my user name and password for Eircom flat rate appears to have erased itself and the option to save the password is greyed out. I cant connect to msn messenger either and wen i tried windows update I got the msg: cannot perform update because your time/date settings may be incorrect. They aren't.
    Biggest niggle of all: I can't shutdown. The button has simply disappeared from the start menu. I cant access it from ctrl alt del either and cmd prompt function 'shutdown -s' doesn't work either.

In a word, Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

More likely to be the aftereffects of cleaning up one of those worms than anything else ..... if you can get on the net you need to go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com ... its another antivirus ... might shake loose that last virus. As for the shutdown problem, can you roll back? (and download the microsoft patches to stop getting msblaster again) ..... other than that isnt there a repair option on the XP install CD? ...

Not the best now for faultfinding with several pints in me .... hopefully you'll be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Thanks Bigeejit. I used the trend micro site and it did help. Saw another post in which someone said to try the ''cool web search'' shredder and the ''stinger''. Both of which detected and solved problems.
    All appears normal now. Was able to remove firewall and shutdown. Messenger is working and my flat rate password is now saved. I will do a repair from disc and update to be sure!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there any reason why you can't run a firewall? Most good firewalls will stop things like this from getting in before you patch up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

TBH I dont really know why I don't use a firewall :rolleyes: . I think its because it stops people sending me files on msn, but come to think of it I'll keep it on from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

its probably the new sasser worm, does pretty much the same thing as blaster.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement