Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loss of BB speed over Network?

• 02-05-2004 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering. I am thinking of setting up a wireless network between my laptop downstairs (with Broadband) and my PC upstairs. Im running IOL 512kbps and was wondering, if i share the connection through the laptop, will i get the same speed upstairs as i would downstairs?(presuming that i leave the laptop downstairs idle).In other words,is there any loss of speed over a wirless network and will i get my normal speeds on the second PC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

you'll be grand

what wireless kit are you thinking of? ... you should think of security, wireless networks are notorious for giving away free internet access to people who live near you (see this thread on this very forum) .... WEP is fundamentally flawed and is breakable .... if you are buying new kit look for WPA (Wifi Protected Access) ... set a good long random key and you'll be sorted
    If you dont have WPA kit set your WEP key to the max .... select a non standard IP range. Turn off DHCP and if you can disable SSID broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

havent a clue what kit.Stealing bandwith shouldn't really be a problem,theres nobody under 90 within.......a long distance

so there should be no loss in speed?

Advertisement