Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 immigrants from East arrive on Enlargement Day1

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a matter of interest - someone posted recently about an Estonian friend, and what he should do when the new states joined.

How many of those 300 are people who were already here, just made themselves legally known? How many of those 300 are family of those already here, who were previously not allowed enter the country?

There's no point in echoing what everyone else has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    LOL I don't think the Government ministers are included in the figures.

Well can you prove thats not the case. Or can you give us a breakdown on who these people are or what the purpose was of their visit. Have they already been in residence in Ireland?

Maybe you should contact the newspaper and ask them for this breakdown?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, if 300 on the day, means a total of 10950 in a year.

If i live for 40 more years, it'll be 438,000.
    That'll be nearly a 1/8th of the population.

Jesus christ, BLOCK THE PORTS

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by PHB
    Well, if 300 on the day, means a total of 10950 in a year.
    300*365=109,500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its been a month now, anyone seen any hoards of Johnny Easternsers who were'nt here already?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mike65
    Well its been a month now, anyone seen any hoards of Johnny Easternsers who were'nt here already?

Mike.
    My new milkman looks a little foreign with the big pasty face on him. Talks funny too. Might be from west Clare though.

Mike.
    A local agency here has brought in 25 or so from Poland in the last month,7 of which work in a local restaurant all for a little above the minimum wage.
    Anecodotally I was speaking to the manager of that agency who is just back from poland having had people flock to interviews he set up there.
    One lady broke down crying when told how much she was going to earn in Ireland ( the minimum wage...) and she said it is too much ...
    The same agency is expecting to bring in 100's more in the next couple of months to do jobs which Irish people do not want to do for that money or probably twice that.

Originally posted by Earthman

One lady broke down crying when told how much she was going to earn in Ireland ( the minimum wage...) and she said it is too much ...

Just wait till she buys milk and bread for the first time....she'll be crying then.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

A local agency here has brought in 25 or so from Poland in the last month,7 of which work in a local restaurant all for a little above the minimum wage.
    Anecodotally I was speaking to the manager of that agency who is just back from poland having had people flock to interviews he set up there.
    The same agency is expecting to bring in 100's more in the next couple of months to do jobs which Irish people do not want to do for that money or probably twice that.

I wish them all the best here and hope that whatever they manage to earn and save here can help their families back home. I also hope employers will treat them with respect and don't exploit them.

Just wait till she buys milk and bread for the first time....she'll be crying then.

Mike.

He told me they've discovered LidL:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

If anyone gets stuck isn't there some law which states a person can go into any shop and request free milk, potatoes and bread. I heard that somewhere and don't know if it's an urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by alleepally
    If anyone gets stuck isn't there some law which states a person can go into any shop and request free milk, potatoes and bread. I heard that somewhere and don't know if it's an urban myth.
    Urban myth. You could wander along to your Community Welfare Officer to get some financial support, but citizens of +10 countries aren't entitled to such benefits yet.
    They obviously didn't tell her what rent is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Despite all the scaremongering by the likes of *cough* certain people and the Irish Sun, I appears that the 'flood' never came despite 'the floodgates' being open. Even our fúhrer has admitted this today, opening a conference on racism of all things..(interesting timing)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0609/racism.html

I thought this thread was due a bump when I read this thin the Sunday Times
    EU migrants flee Ireland’s cost of living by Andrew Bushe

MORE than 32,000 workers from European Union accession states have arrived in Ireland since enlargement on May 1 but many appear to have subsequently left the country after failing to find employment.

Reports from those returning to their home countries suggest that a key factor in their decision was the high cost of living in Ireland, which is significantly greater than accession states, even when higher wages are taken into account.

Seamus Brennan, the minister for social and family affairs, said 32,405 people from the 10 new EU member countries had been issued with personal public service numbers (PPSN) since May. The enlargement gives citizens of the accession states the right to seek work in the republic but they require a PPSN to take up employment or apply for social welfare.

The bulk of new immigrants have come from Poland, Lithuania and Latvia, which collectively accounted for 72% of those who sought PPSNs to the end of August. Ireland has proven to be particularly popular as a destination for Polish citizens, with 15,500 applications since May, a sharp rise from 2,757 for the whole of 2003.

The vast majority of immigrants — 68% — were aged between 18 and 30 and a further 24% fell in the 30- to 45-year-old group.

“This would suggest that the majority coming here from the new member states do so for the purposes of seeking employment,” said Brennan. “The number who succeeded in finding employment is not known but data held by the Revenue Commissioners suggests it is significantly less than 30,000.”

Only a small minority of the new immigrants have applied for social welfare and more than half of the 600 that did seek it were disallowed on the basis of an inability to fulfil a condition of being “habitually” resident in the republic. Applicants who meet this stipulation must still undergo a means test as well as satisfying an adjudicating officer of their availability for work.

There are 700 people from the 10 new member states on the live register. While this represents an increase of 265 since May 1, it is still less than 0.5% of those signing on.

Brennan said the relatively small number of immigrants from these countries who had applied for social welfare indicated that those who had failed to find jobs had left the country.

The habitual residence rule was introduced earlier this year to combat abuse of the country’s social welfare laws. It has generated controversy, particularly after a number of elderly Irish missionaries holidaying at home were turned down for pension payments on the basis that they did not fulfil the criteria.

Brennan emphasised the change to the legislation did not affect long-term exiles returning to Ireland on a long-term basis but said his officials were reviewing the “efficiency and effectiveness” of the new policy.

Mike.

Advertisement