Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow IE pages

Options
  • 03-05-2004 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi
    i have adsl hooked up to 3 computers using a router
    my main computer is pretty fast(athlon xp 2.2g/1.5g ram etc)
    but lately on this 'faster' computer, opening up web pages is kinda slow
    its almost as if when i type a url then enter, my browser (IE 6) stops for a few seconds then opens it up.
    i am on one of the slower computers now and web pages are just popping up in a flash, so its not my connection anyway.
    could it have aything to do with worms/trojans?
    i ask because by the time i got around to installing mcafee a.v. it found about 12 trojans from advertising sites and places like that. i had to delete a few files and i often delete/clean files with "spybot search&destroy" also so could i have deleted critical pages for IE accidentally?

thanks
    ¬Hacksaw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Try using firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I've been using it for a few months now and havnt once been tempted to go back to IE. Even if you want to stick to IE, trying out firefox will test if its an IE problem or something more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Try using ad-aware, and maybe installing AVG virus scanner and see if it turns up anything. Both are free programmes.

I don't think that Spybot would have deleted anytihng important. And don't listen to these monkeys going on about firefox. I installed it, on pretty much the same setup that you have and nothing would load. I don't know was it that I had set it up or what but I went back to IE in the end.

Also do you have XP's firewall running. That may be causing issues. Try disabling that and using Kerio personal firewall.

John

these monkeys going on about firefox. I installed it, on pretty much the same setup that you have and nothing would load.

rolf - nearly fell off my chair laughing at that.

Lump - do you use a proxy for connecting to the internet ? IE - tools -> internet options ->connections -> lan settings. If you have a proxy selected here, you also need to set this up with firefox (Tools -> options -> connection settings)

Firfox is a very good browser, even just taking the tabbed browsing feature puts it above IE never mind the popup blocking features and absence of MS security holes.

HacksawEddie - Try out firefox, if it solves your problem then either stick with firefox or reinstall IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well my google toolbar stops pop-ups, and I keep IE updated I've had no security issues and no I don't use a proxy.

John

I keep IE updated I've had no security issues

no issues that microsoft has decided to tell you about

Anyway, I dont want to get into a IE vs Firefox argument - the point of my post was for HacksawEddie to try firefox in order to rule out IE as a problem. Just because you cant get a piece of software to work,doesnt mean its rubbish and everyone should avoid it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When you enter the address for the router config page do you get the same lag ?

What are the ping times like to the local machines ?
    Someone above asked about a proxy setting, is there one in any of the other machines, or the sick machine.

ZENER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

dunno if its the same for Xp , but in 98 ya gota clean out the temporary internet files every one in awhile.

Also try this http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

no, the router page is fairly instant in opening up,
    proxy settings are just automatic
    i pinged www.boards.ie on the sick machine and got:
    approximate round trip in miliseconds:
    min=74ms, max= 77ms, ave=75ms?

does that mean anything or do u need the full readout?
    i havent got a chance to check the other 2 machines yet, (studying to do!)
    i will do later

hey, thanks all
    i ended up formatting the c drive and reinstalling windows, (for other reasons aswell)
    i got kerio firewall, seems ok so far.
    its now asking me
    "Someone from 192.168.0.1,(router?) port 1900 wants to send UDP datagram to port 1031 owned by 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' on your computer"
    details: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

i know some viruses can hide in svchost, so not sure if i shuld let it connect to the net..does it need to go online?

cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Angry_Penguin, please read the charter:
    No Off-Topic Advocacy: When someone asks a question about their current browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin.

• Advertisement

boo~hoo

ah, sure ur probably right

Advertisement