Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

optimising RAM

Options
  • 03-05-2004 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hey
    is there any best set of actions to take to optimise ram in order to give fast performance in general?
    i have an athlon xp 2.7 (2.2ghz) with 750mb ddr ram ad an 80 gig HDD
    i would mostly be browsing the interet/dl'ing stuff and opening documents, maybe playing the odd game aswell.
    also, windows(XP) reads my RAM as 750mb ram, and not 1.5g... this is obviously normal, and i am really getting 1.5gb ram performance, right??

thanks a bunch
    ¬Hacksaw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

1.5gb = ~1500mb not 750mb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

DDR means double data rate (bus speed) of your ram, not double the quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

but does double the bus speed not equate to double the general speed it and therefore equal the speed i would get if i had 1500mb (non-ddr) ram?

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Yeah, the bus would be faster, but that doesnt affect teh physical amount of RAM that you have. You still only have 750mb of RAM, even if its a faster bus speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by HacksawEddie
    but does double the bus speed not equate to double the general speed it and therefore equal the speed i would get if i had 1500mb (non-ddr) ram?
    If you double your ram to 1.5Gb, it won't increase your PC's actual speed. It's the bus speed of the ram and the ram's timings that affect performance.
    Larger amounts of ram mean less HD swapping, so operations that involve moving large amounts of data will get done quicker and smoother, but the PC isn't going any faster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement