Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry min playable spec

Options
  • 03-05-2004 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what the minimum playable spec is for Far Cry.

I'm on a laptop 5600fx/P4-2.8m/512mb@1280x1024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

*opens manual*

Min:
    OS - Win 98 SE
    CPU - Pentium 3 1000 Mhz / AMD Athlon 1.0 Ghz
    RAM - 256 MB
    HDD - 4 GB
    GFX - GeForce 2 64mb / Ati 8500
    DVD - 4x DVD / 16x CD-Rom

Recommended:
    OS - Win 2000
    CPU - Pentium 4 2000 Mhz / AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    RAM - 512 MB
    HDD - 4 GB
    GFX - GeForce 4 128mb / Ati 9500
    DVD - 8x DVD / 32x CD-Rom

High:
    OS - Win XP
    CPU - Pentium 4 3000 Mhz / AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    RAM - 1024 MB
    HDD - 4 GB
    GFX - Radeon 9800 Pro / FeForce FX 5950
    DVD - 16x DVD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

you should be fine, I got the the demo going on a Radeon9000pro64mb - P4 2.4 - 256mb ram

And the demo was supposed to be more of a system hog than the full version

Edit: grrrr, Robert and his manual:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

That sounds good. I don't mind if I have to run without AA or drop the IQ a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by bus77
    you should be fine, I got the the demo going on a Radeon9000pro64mb - P4 2.4 - 256mb ram

And the demo was supposed to be more of a system hog than the full version

Edit: grrrr, Robert and his manual:D

Errr.. I think it's the other way around. The water reflections aren't done properly in the demo, and they are in the full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have it running on a 9200SE (200/166 mhz core and RAM) and its runs fine on 1024 with AA off ,tried Ocing card and turning on AA slightly but bad things happened.

Anything less than what i have may have issues as it puts a serious load on the card to draw distances.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Well the 9200SE would only allow the game to be played using the dx8 path, therefore will look a lot different to the way the programmers intended. If you want to check how your graphics card is doing, bring up the console (using ~) and type "\r_displayinfo 1". This will give you the fps and some stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I ran the demo on low with a radeon 9000 64mb card on my laptop and it was fine. Can't play the full game though, when it gets into any heavy action the frame rates drop way down and its all jumpy :(

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Well the 9200SE would only allow the game to be played using the dx8 path, therefore will look a lot different to the way the programmers intended. .....

Dx8 path? Sorry can you explain that? Which features use Dx9?

This article it would seem to suggest that it looks the same on older cards...
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_nvidia/

Originally posted by skipn_easy
    I ran the demo on low with a radeon 9000 64mb card on my laptop and it was fine. Can't play the full game though, when it gets into any heavy action the frame rates drop way down and its all jumpy :(

Whats the spec on that laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

radeon 9000(64mb)/PM-1.6GHz/512mb@1400 * 1050

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Dx8 path? Sorry can you explain that? Which features use Dx9?

This article it would seem to suggest that it looks the same on older cards...
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_nvidia/

If your card isn't 100% DX9 hardware, the game fall's back to what is effectively a Dx8 version of the "engine".
    So you'll have ver1.4 VS/PS instead of 2.0
    And things possibly do look different, but only under scrutiny.

I was running the demo on:
    Slot1 P3 800 Cu 256Kb PC100
    768Meg PC100 ECC SDRAM
    GF4 Ti4200-8x 64Meg DDR (~270Core, 580Mem) @ AGP 2x
    Win2000 SP4
    Dx9.0b
    nV FW ~53.xx

Game settings were all on low at 800x600x16bpp

Was comfortable enough to play, enjoy and finish the demo which is my acid test for performance.

Yeah basically what syxpak said, the settings will change to suit whatever your machine is capable of.

I understood from that article that the engine wasn't using any dx9 features

From the offical site:
    " Renderer: Integrates indoor and outdoor technology seamlessly while offering rendering support for OpenGL & DirectX 8/9, XBox using latest HW features, PS2 and GameCube. "
    If you have a Dx8 card it'll make do with that (or what ever OpenGL hardware extensions your card supports), if you've got a Dx9 card, it'll take advantage of those features.
    It's like a checklist.
    Some cards have full Dx8 hardware support and partial Dx9 support, the game will adapt to use what it can (driver and game settings permitting).

Whoever wrote the article you were reading isn't the most clued in w.r.t. the actual technology (like alot of game reviewers).

That offical site quote is techo babble. It doesn't give any specifics.

w.r.t. - whats that?

Well at least in the article they gave an example on the different cards and the only difference they found was in the lighting. Even then there wasn't much of a difference.

Like as asked originally. What specific features in the game use Dx9 features? Preferably demonstrated with a screengrab.

WRT = with respect to

This link has a few screenshots of what the 6800 looks like using version 1.0 and version 1.1. Version 1.1 uses PS2.0 and the other one PS1.4. No water reflections in PS1.4, and in PS1.1 you might not be able to see through the water. I'm not sure if the 9200SE has PS1.4 even. But anyways you get the picture.

It plays sweet on my machine:

2.1Ghz Athlon Thoroughbred
    512 DDR400
    9700 Pro

30-50 fps outside, 50-90 fps wandering around inside.

Edit: typos

That offical site quote is techo babble. It doesn't give any specifics.
    :rolleyes:
    From the offical site:
    " Renderer: Integrates indoor and outdoor technology seamlessly while offering rendering support for OpenGL & DirectX 8/9, XBox using latest HW features, PS2 and GameCube. "

I dunno about you, but to me that implies that is CAN USE EITHER DirectX8 OR DirectX9 VERTEX AND/OR PIXEL SHADERS, but then again, I'm just talking through my ass.

From what i have seen from using CryEditor ,it doesnt really matter whether your card is DX8 or 9.
    The shading effect that it uses doesnt seem to differeniate from card to card, example i made a small map of indoor prison with a large leadup (no water or sea well none you can see or get to anyway) just to see how it would perform on a few systems ,its 2 KM in game size and on a few machines noone noticed any slowdown or anything missing.
    Tbh from what i have seen bushes look better and ground textures have a better look to them.

Both useless to me as i have to make sure it plays fast online with no FPS slowdown or high VIS areas.
    But overall the map performed will on 9800Xts and a Ti500.

Kdjac

Originally posted by SyxPak
    :rolleyes:

I dunno about you, but to me that implies that is CAN USE EITHER DirectX8 OR DirectX9 VERTEX AND/OR PIXEL SHADERS, but then again, I'm just talking through my ass.

Whats with the Caps?

I didn't think it used higer than PS1.1 dispite what the marketing blurb says. Are PS1.1 in DX8 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Whats with the Caps?

I didn't think it used higer than PS1.1 dispite what the marketing blurb says. Are PS1.1 in DX8 ?

Are you designing a game or sumtin?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bus77
    Are you designing a game or sumtin?

Why on earth would you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I am running it fine on my lap top.

2.8Ghz
    512 Ram
    64 Nvidia GeForce
    Everything is set to medium and there is no slow down during heavy action.

It gets a bit hot due to the graphics card doing a lot of work but it looks spectacular, the water is unbelievable. It also runs on my 1 Ghz 512 Ram, 32 Meg GForce 2 Desktop. Everything is set to low but it still looks good.

Originally posted by Moojuice
    I am running it fine on my lap top.

2.8Ghz
    512 Ram
    64 Nvidia GeForce
    Everything is set to medium and there is no slow down during heavy action.

It gets a bit hot due to the graphics card doing a lot of work but it looks spectacular, the water is unbelievable. It also runs on my 1 Ghz 512 Ram, 32 Meg GForce 2 Desktop. Everything is set to low but it still looks good.

Thanks. Thats what I was wondering. Is the game any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Far Cry runs very smoothly for me at 1280x 764 at 32 bit with everthing else turned up to highest

System:
    P3 3 gig
    512 megs of DDR400
    Radeon 9800 pro

I'm happy with that for now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Is the game any good?
    yep, an early contender for my game of the year.
    pisses all over recent fps's like call of duty and halo.

ooooops I meant p4 3 gig

Originally posted by hairball
    Far Cry runs very smoothly for me at 1280x 764 at 32 bit with everthing else turned up to highest

System:
    P3 3 gig
    512 megs of DDR400
    Radeon 9800 pro

I'm happy with that for now:)
    wow, that's very strange... your specs are nowhere near as powerful as even the weakest of modern laptops... how the hell are you getting good performance?

Originally posted by tman

pisses all over recent fps's like call of duty and halo.

from a great height i would add.

kdjac

I'll refer you to the correction above...erm..sorry *ahem*

• Advertisement

aye, i'd already seen the correction.

i was merely pointing out that saying that far cry runs nicely on your top of the range desktop, isn't very helpful to someone who's wondering wether it'll run on their laptop

Advertisement