Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry min playable spec

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Whats with the Caps?

I didn't think it used higer than PS1.1 dispite what the marketing blurb says. Are PS1.1 in DX8 ?

I must appologise for the caps, was getting frustrated tying desperately to convey my point that the game is not strictly DX 8 or DX9. Imho, it is a DX9-generation engine, but can run on multiple APIs.
    As for exactly which API calls it makes under Dx8/9/OpenGL 1.x, I don't know and I don't particularly mind as it runs on my machine.

The engine requires ~DX8 hardware as a minimum, but if you've got better stuff, it'll run with that.

This is about the 4th or 5th time this has been explained to you on this thread Ricardo.

If you have a GF4 Ti class gpu, 1 Ghz Athlon/P3, 512meg ram, Win32 and Dx8.1 chances are you can run this game.
    Moojuice, I assume you were running that GF2 under OpenGL?

Originally posted by tman
    aye, i'd already seen the correction.

i was merely pointing out that saying that far cry runs nicely on your top of the range desktop, isn't very helpful to someone who's wondering wether it'll run on their laptop

Actually, if he had a P3 running at 3Ghz, it'd whip the piss out of a P4 at 3Ghz in calculation speed at elast, though memory bandwidth would be another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I must appologise for the caps, was getting frustrated tying desperately to convey my point that the game is not strictly DX 8 or DX9. Imho, it is a DX9-generation engine, but can run on multiple APIs.
    As for exactly which API calls it makes under Dx8/9/OpenGL 1.x, I don't know and I don't particularly mind as it runs on my machine.

The engine requires ~DX8 hardware as a minimum, but if you've got better stuff, it'll run with that.

This is about the 4th or 5th time this has been explained to you on this thread Ricardo.

Listen I'm not trying to flame you or anything, I was just curious about all the technobabble about these amazing graphics.

Actually I linked to an article explaining that (by my understanding of the pixel shaders) that it doesn't use DX9 features at all, despite what it says in all the offical blurb. You saying it does without giving any specific example of a feature that is Dx9 only. So your just repeating what the blurb does. Thats not giving me more information, thats giving me the same information, again.

AFAIK theres no game that is NOT backward compatible with a previous DirectX version. Maybe I'm wrong, can anyone give an example of a DX9 game that won't run on a DX8 card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

AFAIK theres no game that is NOT backward compatible with a previous DirectX version. Maybe I'm wrong, can anyone give an example of a DX9 game that won't run on a DX8 card?

Battlefield Vietnam ,seemingly, dont know 100% but from posts on TMT has yet to work on a pc with DX8 (not exactly your Q but wouldnt run with DX8 installed) and the error mentions the card as being the fault but when DX 9 is installed it runs.

Kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Battlefield Vietnam ,seemingly, dont know 100% but from posts on TMT has yet to work on a pc with DX8 (not exactly your Q but wouldnt run with DX8 installed) and the error mentions the card as being the fault but when DX 9 is installed it runs.

Kdjac

Thats a different issue, and is going to confuse this issue. The software is looking for DX9 installed. That doesn't mean it requires DX9 hardware support. Anyway forget it this is getting boring now.

• Advertisement

If it included a software render, but used Dx9 DriectSound, DirectPlay etc. APIs would it be a DX9 game in your eyes?

Just because it doesn't require DX9 hardware, doesn't mean it won't support/use it.
    They've obviously made it as flexible as possible, while still taking advantage of leading edge tech.
    This would imply the latest Vertex and Pixel shaders.

A litmus test would be to install DX9 and the latest drivers on your machine (that should take care of OpenGL support), install the demo and try running it.
    If it runs, you're sorted, if it doesn't, upgrade your card.
    As has been pointed out it will run on a GF2 (Moojuice, could you confirm, I suspect a possible typo?).
    Run !=> "run acceptably" mind.

If you want to know what extensions it uses, get yourself a fully compliant DX9 card on a new system, latest driverts, etc. and run a debugger/analyser in the background to see what functions it calls in the course of the game.

SyxPak - what did you think of the screenies in that article I linked to? Did you read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Yes Far Cry is excellent. Some half-life elements to it but better graphics. I got Manhunt, has anyone else played it? Basically you have to kill people (forced to) to make a snuff movie for this sicko. Its by Rockstar, the GTA boys. I was thinking of exchanging it for Painkiller or Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. What do you reckon? I would love a decent strategy game, last one I got was Civ 3 but ti took up too much time and took ages to play. Any decent strategy games out there?

Moo

Moojuice - could you please confirm what graphics card was in that 1Ghz desktop you had and what API you were using to run it (ie DX or OpenGL)??

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

My Desktop card is a Gforce 2 32MB Card. The API is Direct X. Far Cry installed DX 9b when I was installing the game.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Just Finished Far Cry. Excellent game. Best bang for buck I've gotten from a game in a good while. I was running it on a P3 1Gig, 512MB SDRAM, FX5700 Ultra 128MB and WinXP @ 1024x768x32. I had everything on medium except for water which was on high. These settings were choosen by the game at installation, auto-detect. The game ran fine for me, looked great, very odd stutter when all mayhem broke loose but no so as you'd notice much. The only other thing was that when loading a level for the first time it took 20 to 30 secs to load, but when reloading in the game(saves ect) it only took 5-7 secs. When I first bought it I was a bit concerned that it might not run so well cause I'd heard that ppl with better systems had some probs but I did'nt.

thnx Prisoner6409

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

--Edit-- shít. I replied to the wrong thread...

Advertisement