Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York

• 03-05-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

3 of us are planning a shopping / sightseeing / fun trip to New York. We are looking for convenience and comfort. Does anyone have good / bad experience regarding travel / accomodation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i had nothing but a fantastic time when i was in new york. i recommend spending as much time there as you can as there is so much to do and see and after 8 or so days there, there was loads i missed out on. i can't recommend accomadation as i was staying with my gf's at the times brother in brooklyn about 30minutes on the sub from time square.

we flew aer lingus non stop from dublin to JFK. but we got a good deal on the flights as it was near the start of the iraqi war last year. other wise it would have been first over to london and then on to newyork which would have been a bit longer i suppose. flight was fine even though it was the longest flight i've ever been on.

i'd pick up the lonely planet guide for new york city, definetly think that this was worth while having. lots of useful info it on accomdation, walking tours, the sights, shops and restaurants.

from a practical point of view you can get stuff like ground zero, the statue of liberty, and the ellis island muesuem done fairly handy as they are all in south manhatten and in walking distance from one another.

while muesums like the met and the natural history museum on are opposite sides of central park iirc. didn't get to see those :(

take in a broadway show if you get the chance. each day on timesquare people queue up for tickets that they sell for shows for that night. think the stand is called TKMS (or something, lonely planet has more details) they sell tickets for each show for half the price of the most expensive seats so its about 50 dollars but tis good enough.

have a good one

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

welcome to boards .here are loads of threads about new york just do a search in travel. try these for a start. ps you will have a ball

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=411543&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

gonk:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi WMitty,

I worked as a hostel receptionist in Manhattan for a couple of months last summer, and lived in New lork for longer so I know quite a bit about the place.

First off new york is a very expensive place to stay, especially Manhattan. Even at €100 a night you'll still be getting a very basic room in a cheap hotel. Hostels aren't a bad way to go. The one i worked in was right beside Time Square (very central location) and had small private rooms for about $100 depending on the time of the year. Dorm beds are still about $40 even though you are sharing with other.

Another possibility, depending on how long you're going for is to sublet an apartment. Try http://newyork.craigslist.org/ and look in the sublets and vacation rentals part. You could even try swaping your place in Ireland for somewhere there.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bleedin'header

im also headin to the big apple for 4 nights near xmas and we are staying in hotel pennsylvania its very central and excellent value www.hotelpenn.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pigeoncrumb

If you really want to do some extreme shopping you want to head to 5th avenue, near Rocafeller Center. thats where you'll find ALL the major designers (and Sacs 5th Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman are AMAZING!).
    If you are more the type who likes cheap but cool clothes (obviously not as fancy or 'New York' as the designer stuff but still lots of fun) then any store way downtown (aka little Italy and China Town) thats where you should go.

Food is my thing. If you love chocolate (like me) then La Maison Du Chocolat is the place to go. Like most New Yorkers I love Sushi (i dont know if you do but you might just want the expeirience) a sushi restaurant I'd suggest Hatzuhana or Yuki (93 and Amsterdam).
    A great hot dog place is Grays Papaya, on like 72 str. and Amsterdam, and Carnegi Deli is a great place to go after you see a show or something. Sarabeth's has great pastrys and stuff, thats in Chelsea Market (a great place to visit anyways).

A for Hotels Im not as helpful. the AOL time warner building is supposed to be great despite its price (very expensive) and of coarse the Plaza rises above the rest.

This is coming from someone whos lived in Manhattan her whole life, so TRUST ME ON THIS! Any other questions email me at pigeoncrumb@aol.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

I go to New York every 6 months or so. I have family there so normally don't stay in hotels, however I did once stay in the 'Holiday Inn Wall Street' on Gold. It's a nice hotel, the location is great for Chinatown and the village but it is a bit of a hike to midtown. If you want some great bargains go to the Woodbury Common Outlet centre, it takes about 1.5 hours to get there, you can book a coach tour to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gibbie

I love NYC, and the best way to explore it is on foot, in my opinion. Bring comfy shoes.

I enjoyed the Empire State Building and Liberty Island. There was a 3-hour wait to climb the statue of Liberty so I didn't bother and don't feel like I missed out at all.

The MoMA is also fabulous, unfortunately I've never had time to experience the other museums.

A highlight for me was inline skating through Central Park, it was a great way to see the park and get some exercise at the same time. Don't know if there is a place where you can rent skates or bikes though, I had mine with me.

Window shopping on 5th avenue is also fun. For designer discounts, go to Century21 across from ground zero. They have some amazing deals.

Another thing to do is just experience the different ethnic neighbhourhoods - little Italy, Chinatown. I had a terrific and cheap Italian meal on Bleeker st. Can't remember the name of the restaurant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Never mind Century21 - for shopping you have to go to WoodBury Common - it is the largest outlet store in the world - it has over 250 designer shops all under the same roof!!! & The bargins are just amazing - you can get a bus from Penn Station - it leaves every 1/2 hour - it is well worth the trip - you wont get any prices anywhere near them....
    I'm going again in 6 weeks time -- can't wait!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Originally posted by bleedin'header
    im also headin to the big apple for 4 nights near xmas and we are staying in hotel pennsylvania its very central and excellent value www.hotelpenn.com

I stayed in the penn hotel for a night 2 years ago as I was going to a Knicks game in Madison Sq Gardens and the hotel was directly across the street plus the fact that it was great value but sorry to dampen your excitement - the room we stayed in was mingin!! Maybe they've improved since then but I know I wouldn't be rushing back. On the positive side, it's very central as you said. Right above Penn station, Macys a stones throw away and only a few minutes from Times Square/Broadway. I just hope the standard of accomodation has improved.

RH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Originally posted by Darren
    I go to New York every 6 months or so.

Do you normally manage to find competitive flight prices Darren? I was looking recently as I'd love to go back to NY for a few days but found that flights were hugely expensive. One example was €990 through ebookers. Even Aer Lingus online was getting up towards €700 per person. Any value to be found elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gibbie

I find Aer Lingus to be usually the cheapest. I'm always on the lookout for a cheap flight back to Toronto and that's invariably through NYC or London.

Another airline to check is American Airlines or Delta. Don't know if Continental services Shannon or Dublin - they would fly out of Newark.

Originally posted by ravenhead
    Never mind Century21 - for shopping you have to go to WoodBury Common - it is the largest outlet store in the world - it has over 250 designer shops all under the same roof!!! & The bargins are just amazing - you can get a bus from Penn Station - it leaves every 1/2 hour - it is well worth the trip - you wont get any prices anywhere near them....
    I'm going again in 6 weeks time -- can't wait!!!!

Hey Ravenhead , where exactly is woodbury common?
    I'll be in New york ( again :) ) in july and will have a car so will drive to that place.
    That question also to Darren and is it open on sundays?
    Originally posted by Dataisgod

while muesums like the met and the natural history museum on are opposite sides of central park iirc. didn't get to see those :(

data
    yeah the natural history museum is great
    from a practical point of view you can get stuff like ground zero, the statue of liberty, and the ellis island muesuem done fairly handy as they are all in south manhatten and in walking distance from one another.
    You didn't walk to the ellis island museum I hope unless you were wearing scuba gear and a tank :p

The queue at touristy times can be pretty long for the security tent there and the boat.
    The statue of liberty was closed the last time I was there but as far as I know it's open again to climb up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

indeed woodbury commons is the fashizzle!

i got timberland boots there for $80 2 years ago, im still wearing em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Originally posted by Earthman
    Hey Ravenhead , where exactly is woodbury common?
    I'll be in New york ( again :) ) in july and will have a car so will drive to that place.
    That question also to Darren and is it open on sundays?

Hope this make sence to you - Woodbury Common Premium Outlets is located on Route 32 in Central Valley, NY. One hour north of New York City.

Main Route:
    New York State Thruway (I-87) to Harriman, Exit 16.

Alternate Routes:
    George Washington Bridge (upper level) to Palisades Interstate Parkway (north) to Route 6 West (Exit 18, Central Valley). Exit onto Route 32 north (right turn at traffic light); proceed to center entrance on right.

New York State Thruway (I-87 north) to Exit 15a onto Route 17 north. Continue approximately 15 miles onto Route 32 North; proceed to center entrance on right.

the website is www.premiumoutlets.com it gives you all the info that you'll need to get there...

Woodbury Common is North of NYC, It is quite close to Westpoint on the Hudson River. The drive up there takes you through some of the most beautiful areas of New York state near Westchester. I go there most years to do my Christmas shopping. I found that the best deals tend to be in Timberland, The North Face and Seiko. Shortly before my daughter was born we went there and bought lots of Osh Kosh B'Gosh stuff which was incredibly cheap. The Sony centre is well worth a visit and is right next store to Tommy Hilfiger. The place is massive....

This website has quite good directions

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Try... Travelnow for cheep flights.... Less than 1000Euro for 2 persons in June. Dub/Lon - Lon/JFK.

Originally posted by Darren
    Woodbury Common is North of NYC, It is quite close to Westpoint on the Hudson River. The drive up there takes you through some of the most beautiful areas of New York state near Westchester. I go there most years to do my Christmas shopping. I found that the best deals tend to be in Timberland, The North Face and Seiko. Shortly before my daughter was born we went there and bought lots of Osh Kosh B'Gosh stuff which was incredibly cheap. The Sony centre is well worth a visit and is right next store to Tommy Hilfiger. The place is massive....
    Excelent-thanks for that.
    I drove once from montreal to New York and went through some beautiful countryside,though the state troopers or what ever they are called looked nasty so, it was 55 all the way...
    I remember that tapanzee bridge or whatever its called,I presume we are talking north of that,I'll take out my rough guide,it's probably in there.
    I'm looking foward to the clothes now and the sony centre especially with the Euro at more than a dollar twenty \o/ \o/ \o/

Oh and thanks Ravenhead as well

Originally posted by Earthman
    Excelent-thanks for that.
    I drove once from montreal to New York and went through some beautiful countryside,though the state troopers or what ever they are called looked nasty so, it was 55 all the way...
    I remember that tapanzee bridge or whatever its called,I presume we are talking north of that,I'll take out my rough guide,it's probably in there.
    I'm looking foward to the clothes now and the sony centre especially with the Euro at more than a dollar twenty \o/ \o/ \o/

Oh and thanks Ravenhead as well

Earthman,

We normally travel along the Bear Mountain Parkway and cross the Hudson at Bear Mountain Bridge as we come in from Peekskill, I'm not sure where the tapanzee is. Go on a weekday if you can, the place gets real busy.

I'm not sure when the college football season starts but if there is a game on a westpoint it is well worth going to. I went to Army vs UAB last year, a great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Would definitely recommend a trip to Woodbury Common.

Well worth it for the bargains!

Advertisement