Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6600 support in ireland

Options
  • 03-05-2004 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    Does anyone have any details of when Nokia 6600 will supported by O2 or vodafone?
    I have been told by O2 it could be 6 weeks as they need to test WAP 2.0 on their network but i have seen from previous dicussions they have been saying this since Jan. Metor are supporting the phone but they have problems with basic MMS so do they even support WAP 2.
    Its seems to be the perfect phone for me (big screen, email, MP3 and Memory expansion up to 1/2 a gig)
    Does anyone have experience using a sim free 6600 while its not supported by the networks, ie: can you check your office email/calendar etc... over the air?

Please share any experience/rumors you heard

slyi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

I've never experienced meteor mms probs with my 6600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i bought this baby with meteor for €499, just put my o2 sim in it. gprs and mms dont bother me. to be honest, its a blessing in disguise them not working as they can get addictive and you find yourself sending mms's for no reason.

it keeps the costs down and you can still ring/text people, for me thats more important. transfered a picture taken from a 3200 to my big, clear screen and it blew it away. no comparason. everyone that has been lucky enough to hold my phone has marvelled at the camera, not a single person has failed to be impressed.

a video recorder, remote control, babysitter, mosquito repeller, torch, world clock, lie detector, cocktail maker, it even has a program to calculate the amount of alcohol in your blood and a lottery number generater! how ridiculously useless is that?! it's THE phone to show up all others, theres nothing it cant do, really, nothing.

the great thing is its so expensive hardly anyone has one, so you immediately have the best phone out of everyone you know. its great listening to jealous people trying to pick faults with it. 'its so chunky, €500 your mad its only a phone, well i prefer my phone it looks nicer.'

this phone is the james bond of phones. you can even get a program to take a picture when it detects movement and record all your voice calls. 6600 deserves a forum of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have it on pretty good authority that the WAP gateway should be upgraded come June at the latest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are threads here on all the operators and the 6600. I have one on O2 but havent managed to get gprs/mms working (even with the test settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Originally posted by smemon
    i bought this baby with meteor for €499, just put my o2 sim in it. gprs and mms dont bother me. to be honest, its a blessing in disguise them not working as they can get addictive and you find yourself sending mms's for no reason.

it keeps the costs down and you can still ring/text people, for me thats more important. transfered a picture taken from a 3200 to my big, clear screen and it blew it away. no comparason. everyone that has been lucky enough to hold my phone has marvelled at the camera, not a single person has failed to be impressed.

a video recorder, remote control, babysitter, mosquito repeller, torch, world clock, lie detector, cocktail maker, it even has a program to calculate the amount of alcohol in your blood and a lottery number generater! how ridiculously useless is that?! it's THE phone to show up all others, theres nothing it cant do, really, nothing.

the great thing is its so expensive hardly anyone has one, so you immediately have the best phone out of everyone you know. its great listening to jealous people trying to pick faults with it. 'its so chunky, €500 your mad its only a phone, well i prefer my phone it looks nicer.'

this phone is the james bond of phones. you can even get a program to take a picture when it detects movement and record all your voice calls. 6600 deserves a forum of its own.

where'd you get those apps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Celticwarrior
    where'd you get those apps!
    check out My-Symbian.com Series 60 Downloads, most listed will have cross handset support
    pick faults with it. 'its so chunky'
    the 6600 is definitely on the chunky side... but a decent Series 60 device none the less...
    this phone is the james bond of phones
    i think the P800 or P900 would be more deserving to that 'title', as the P800 did appear in the last movie ;)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

I feck**n love my 6600 but yesterday after 6 months of use the vibration alers has just folded!! Off to MPRC with ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

On Voda everything works except for MMS. GPRS is fine with Opera and other apps. Great phone - short battery life but I believe the latest firmware improves it somewhat. You can sync with your office mail/calendar if this is supported by your email server. I have this working a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 slyi

So the metor phone doent have to be unlocked to use my os sim I might try that one. Thanks for the help June isnt too long to wait for but my battery on my current phone is going fast. time to get a new phone I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I transferred a few tones from the internet to my phone. I put one as my default tone but it plays another tone for all calls, anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

.. my big, clear screen .....

...you immediately have the best phone out of everyone you know....

Dude, get a P900, THEN come back and talk about big clear screens, and having the best phone out of everyone you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭dermoto

Fraid not my p900 friend. the 6600 is the most amazing phone on the planet. Its not chunky, its stylish. I ****in love it, and ive had it for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I have a p800 (since pre-production times), a P900 and now a 6600. THe 800/900 are great phones but only if you are writing lots of input. Ie- composing lots of email/sms messages on the phone. It pen input is great but this is also its failing. You need two hands for anything on the 800/900 - The jog dial is only for selected apps and in flip closed mode.

The 6600 is great for the regular user. Its UI is clean and logical and everything can be done one handed. Its screen is also a lot clearer than the 900.

My 2 cents.

not sure the P800/P900 pen input is a "failing", it's a pretty fundamental part of the design and functionlaity and would (should) be one of the major factors for someone to think about before considering it as a device they would use

personally find the P900 grand for one handed use with the apps I'd be using most, being able to check/read email and navigate around the browser e.g. scrolling / visiting bookmarks / going back etc. all with the jog dial is great - (but it's implementation is better that it was in the P800) - also find the browsing experience better being able to tap the exact link to follow rather than tabbing through links on the Series 60

BrianG

Originally posted by dermoto
    Its not chunky, its stylish.

one's person "chunky" can be another persons "stylish"

i think it's on the chunky side though :) - it's a nice phone but would be even nicer if it lost the love handles :p

a video recorder, remote control, babysitter, mosquito repeller, torch, world clock, lie detector, cocktail maker, it even has a program to calculate the amount of alcohol in your blood and a lottery number generater! how ridiculously useless is that?! it's THE phone to show up all others, ......

Did u get the lie detector to work? it wudn't work for me :-( kept crashing

The mosquito repeller sounds great, does it work and where can you get it??

Originally posted by jo.king
    The mosquito repeller sounds great, does it work and where can you get it??
    I think he's referring to mosquitos, the game. It uses the camera, u move the phone around and the mosquitoes are superimposed onto the room around you. U then run around the room like a mad bastrd trying to shoot em. Its a brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

All those apps are series 60 - so they're not specific to the 6600.

Ahh jeeshh - here i was thinking it could emit some weird high pitched sound or soemthin!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

sorry, havn't been on ere in a while.

as for the mosquito repeller, its not a game (although i have that too, very good game by the way too) its actually real and free.

lie detector i got of a mate, dunno how he got it working but its working on mine anyway. i really dont know if it works, has a few graphs etc and moves when you speak but it's just a gimic.

the p800/900 to me are computers. there not phones. plus they luck ugly. 6600 although chunky looks like a phone and is very easy to use. you can customise it all u want and the screen is the perfect size. not a big tv but at the same time not a 3200 or alike.

Please Note: no linking to crack/warez sites
    BrianG

your point is?
    well, how about this, i can play red faction (or sonic, tomb raider etc...), minimize the game, and take a photo. what other series 60 phone can do that?
    (besides the sx1 maybe, but im sure thats a cool phone too)

Advertisement