Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap PC

• 03-05-2004 6:23pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I thought this was pretty good value for what seems to be a high spec PC. Note, it excludes monitor. I just wish that I hadn't spent so much on my credit card :\

SPECS
    • Superschneller Prozessor AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    • 512 MB DDR-RAM
    • 8x speed DVD+R/+RW Brenner
    • superschnelle 256 MB GeForce FX 5700 Grafikkarte
    • große 160 GB Festplatte
    • Card Reader
    • Umfangreiches Softwarepaket
    • 24 Monat Vor-Ort-Service

• HP Design Miditower
    • Markenmainboard von MSI
    • AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Prozessor, FSB 400
    • 512 MB DDR-RAM PC400
    • 160 GB Festplatte mit 7200rpm
    • Dolby 5.1 6 Kanal Sound
    • 16x/40x DVD-ROM Laufwerk
    • 8x DVD+R / 4x DVD+RW Brenner
    • MSI 256 MB nVidia GeForce FX5700 VE Grafikkarte mit Video-In / Video Out, DVI-Out
    • 10/100 MBit LAN
    • Interner 7in1 Cardreader
    • 3,5" Diskettenlaufwerk
    • Schnittstellen Front:
    3x USB 2.0, 1x Mikrofon, 1x Audio-In, 1x Kopfhörer, 1x Composite-Out, 1x S-Video-Out, 1x IEE1394 FireWire
    • Schnittstellen Hinten:
    2x USB 2.0, 1x Seriell, 2x PS/2, 1x Digital SPD/IF In/Out
    • HP Internet Tastatur und Wheelmaus
    • Windows XP Home Edition OEM Recovery
    • Works 7.0 OEM
    • Microsoft Works7.0
    • Acrobat Reader
    • Norton Anitvirus2003 (60 Tage Live-Update)
    • HP Pavilion Recovery Kit
    • Showbiz Video Editing & DVD Authoring
    • Veritas RecordNow
    • Intervideo WinDVD 4.0
    • 24 Monate Vor-Ort-Service durch HP (Hotline)

http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16008

Delivery with GLS works out at €21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

not a bad PC for €799

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

They've also a Gamer PC (FujitsuSiemens) with Athlon 64 3200+ processor here for €899

And a 2.2Ghz P4 Laptop for €777 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

I'd imagine most of the software/manuals would be in German?

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by oneweb
    I'd imagine most of the software/manuals would be in German?

Do you read the manuals?

Anyone buy anything from these guys before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

@oneweb: i'd imagine you'd be right to assume that oneweb. I suppose it would depend on how important the software would be to you...
    More than likely, you could get a hold of english copies of the manuals.
    What couldnt be changed is the germany keyboard setup...which would be a bit annoying.

That laptop looks like great value - i cant seem to find anything that comes near it pricewise.

The 24 month on-site support obviously is not going to apply...hell they should be giving us an even better deal then:p

• Advertisement
    byte

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Anyone buy anything from these guys before?

Yeah, I ordered an NEC 2500 DVD burner from them some time ago. Delivery took about a week (using Deutche Poste option).

Well a keyboard costs very little these days. I wonder would the BIOS be in german?

yeah..keyboards ok in the case of the desktop but not in the case of the notebook.

I would imagine the bios would probably be in english ..i bought my current machine in germany (although not from jes..) and the bios was in english.
    If not, it could probably be flashed with an alternative bios?

byte

What differs on a German keyboard?

Are some letters rearranged? I know it's possible to reconfigure Windows as to the type of keyboard. I guess it would be a difficult task trying to disassemble keyboard on Notebook to exchange keys :dunno:

keyboard differences:

z is where you would expect y to be and vice versa obviously.
    you'll find umlaut'ed o and a where ; and ' are.
    ..umlauted u instead of [

good few changes along the top row, but its the z/y thing thats the most annoying if your used to our setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Jilm
    not a bad PC for €799

For a real cheap PC (there is always a neighbour that want you to get one for cheap)

Got a Dell last month for 450 euros (inc vat and delivery) - including a 17" monitor modem and floppy. (was less than 400 if you dont want floppy drive or modem)

Intel 2.6Ghz 40G drive 256Mb.

Bad points are only CD Rom (not burner) and no AGP slot - so not for the gamer but an ok pc for internet and word processing.
    First time I actually saw MS Works running as I always just threw away that cd - very good package for the total newbie/young kid doing school reports.

http://commerce.euro.dell.com/dellstore

Shuttle SB75G2 P4 3.4, 1Gb DDR-400, 2x120Gb Seagate SATA Raid0, R9800Pro
    Cooling: Artic Cooler. Papst 40x40x20 PSU fans. Sharkon ultra Silent 80mm, Zalman Northbridge heatsink.
    Mods: Shorter Artic Cooler. No grills on PSU. Side Grill mod.

“Roll it back”

Those cheap Dells are a good deal alright. The only problem is that lack of AGP slot. Personally I'd use OpenOffice rather than works. How many PCI slots are in that Dell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Those cheap Dells are a good deal alright. The only problem is that lack of AGP slot. Personally I'd use OpenOffice rather than works. How many PCI slots are in that Dell?

Sorry - cannot remember how many slots.
    I just plugged it in for the Neighbour and it all just worked - everything preinstalled.
    All hardware worked first off (not used to that ! normally its a few days with a dremmil before my own systems are finished:)

I also got on another occasion one of their printers - not sure I'd recommend it.
    It sounds brilliant - all in one - scanner, color photocopier, printer, fax etc. for 99 euros. The print quality is very good and the photocopier is so useful - but.... the carts in it are the tiniest I've ever seen and I believe they cost 40 each for the two official carts :rolleyes:

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

Surely you could just tell the pc that its an english keyboard and then it would work as expected. Then all you need is some really high tech stickers that you can write the actuall letters on & stick em on the appropriate key!

Would that work with a note book? Wat about all the shift keys?

Advertisement