Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Bypass

• 03-05-2004 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Is the bypass going ahead ? If so have they decided which route and the completion date? This has to be on e of the most dangerous bottlenecks in the state.

Slane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

has anyone like, every heard of Slane or like, the bypass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm aware of it, but I'm just wondering how much traffic till uses it now that the M1 is open?

This page indicates it's current status. http://www.meath.ie/Roads/N2_Slane_Bypass/what_next.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've heard of Slane. I've seen two fatal accidents at the bridge. I don't use that route anymore (nothing do to with the M1), but I'll feel better if and when there is a bypass.

Good point (re M1) but there does seem to be a great deal of lorries still using the (medieval ?) bridge...

I think Slane was/is the biggest black spot in the country and since the NRA is upgrading the N2 (like Asbourne + Ardee further north in monaghan) they should defintely fix this death trap!

[rant]
    I can never get much info off that darn NRA/NDP site..
    why cant they have a national map of what they have done so far and what they are going to do in graphical form next year + the year after? maybe next year they can employ people to build a proper website :confused:
    [/rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The spur road from Dunleer to Ardee (N33?) was meant for trucks to bypass Slane and carry on up the N2.

But of course, the truckers dont use the toll bridge on the M1 cos they have to pay, so Slane still is the death trap it always was.

• Advertisement

New motorway 'will cut road deaths by 75pc'
    The Indo

A NEW €200m motorway from the M50 in north Dublin past Ashbourne in Co Meath will cut road deaths, it was predicted yesterday.

Transport Minister Seamus Brennan yesterday announced the signing of the contract to allow construction work begin on the notorious death trap, part of the main N2 Dublin-Derry road.

He said the new road would save save lives by reducing the unacceptably high level of deaths and serious injuries in crashes, many involving heavy goods vehicles and other trucks.

It was estimated there would be 75pc fewer deaths compared to the existing N2 route from Ashbourne to Finglas which is transporting increasing numbers of heavy trucks and cars from expanding commuter towns and villages heading to and from Dublin.

When completed the motorway will significantly relieve traffic congestion, reduce journey times and improve safety.

The new 17km scheme would tackle two of the most infamous traffic bottlenecks on the N2 route, the M50 interchange at Finglas and the Co Meath town of Ashbourne.

Mr Brennan said: "It is a cause of serious concern that accidents are considerably higher than average rates for the overall length of the N2 to Derry."

Treacy Hogan

Major cause of serious concern eh ? did factor that slane place into the equation did ya seamie ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    has anyone like, every heard of Slane or like, the bypass?

Yes unfortunately.. a criminal level of neglect resulting in terrible fatal accidents..

Bee

http://www.unison.ie/drogheda_independent/stories.php3?ca=34&si=373632&issue_id=4001

Slane mourns baby David

THERE were emotional scenes at St. Patrick’s Church in Slane as hundreds of mourners said a final farewell to baby David Garvey, who was killed in last week’s tragic accident at Slane Bridge.

Crowds thronged the church for a memorial Mass on Monday night, which followed a private funeral held earlier that day. In a moving homily dedicated to David and his parents, Joan and Cathal who are still seriously ill, Curate Fr. Martin Carley spoke of the great shock and numbness felt by the parish following the accident.

The paschal candle lit for David on the day of his baptism was lit this time in his memory as the Mass began. The strains of Ag Criost an Siol echoed around the church as offertory gifts of David’s toys were presented.

Advertisement