Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD 64 overclocking.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Sounds alot like the problems data was having with his Ram............. very funny, but i think its the Winbond chips that are generally picky about timings (BH) that are loose.

With your newer board you might be able to raise the voltage a little more and get higher, so far so good. Given the huge FSB capability of the AMD64 you should be either going for very high speed Ram or medium speed with tight timings. Some of the newer Adata Ram is hitting crazy speeds, with a newer version on its way. And you can nearly buy 2 sets of 1gb for the price OCZ / Corsair charge. 300mhz ........ now that would be a sweet deal. Even if you sold that Ram it would prob pay for 1.5gb of Adata lol.

Either or the system is going to perform v.well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've not idea if this is applicable in this case and loki you have probably seen it yourself where people with socket A motherboard put there ram at X-X-X-11. for some reason that 11 is good. while instinctively we go for lower timings try the 11 anyway

anyone know whats up with that?

Yea there have been a few tests that ive seen which have indicated that 11 was the most stable number. It seems to have very little effect on performance .

I have no idea why that is TBH but it seems to do the trick in some cases!!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Can anyone here send me clock gen via icq or e-mail. I can't access the cpuid site to download it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Quite suprising when I read this. Comparison between PC4200 and PC3200.

[Edit]I think the Clockgen site is up again[/Edit]

• Advertisement

I'm still unsure what to go for even though it clearly indicates the tighter timing is better than higher bandwidth. Is pc 3200 going to be good enough for overclocking with a mach II. Its hard to tell weather those tests refer to the average air cooled overclock. Suppose also depends on the voltage I can muster into them from the motherboard I get.

I think it all depends hoe much your ram can go up to at the end of the day. I've asked one of the OCZ rep whether I should get one of the PC3500 or PC3700 EB's when I change my mobo later so that I can overclock better, he seems to think that I should just keep my current ram and just up hte voltage. But at least its good to know that the ram can go up to 266fsb no problems.

I suppose its a question of how much braggin rights the mad high FSB will get you. Performance wise its very hard to beat such tight timings @225mhz FSB . The AMD64 setups can have the FSB and memory out of sync without any problem so this wont limit your overclock or it wont reduce your performance.

If you are getting memory then you should be lookin for near 300mhz FSB , you just wont find memory that will do very high FSB at tight timings unless you give it serious voltage (and/or its Winbond chips). Huge bandwidth looks good .......

could someone send me clock gen via e-mail.

OH MAN i'M SUCH AN IDIOT.....e-mail is azzamain@hotmail.com

• Advertisement

http://www.cpuid.org/clockgen.php

I opened the site and tried downloading without any problems. You sure you got the right site?

Advertisement