Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelige Version of Boards.ie?

Options
  • 04-05-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Suggestion - > wondering if it is possible to get boards menu's in irish and maybe the other languages..?

English Version
    i.e Music

Irish Version
    i.e Ceol

The only problem would the size of the irish words..

If not maybe for BBV3? :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nice idea... how hard would it be to set up, though?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Suggestion - > wondering if it is possible to get boards menu's in irish and maybe the other languages..?

English Version
    i.e Music

Irish Version
    i.e Ceol

If not maybe for BBV3? :)

Probably wouldn't be practical to implement it for everybody in my nonvb expert opinion but possibly using a Gaelige skin would work better. That way the buttons and possibly other stuff could be switched to on an individual basis.

It'd be a lot of work, but it'd be nice to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They're not that long! You can usually find concise translations if you think about them a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The skin approach is best. Let the scheme menu include a Language prefs menu.

The 'welcome back' upon login and the 'thank you for posting' bits should be attached to the skin choice as well ...... eg

Fáilte Arais Muck
    Go raibh maith agat as ucht do thuairimaíocht ar an ábhar seo

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A version of Boards we can navigate in Irish so that we can read all the posts in English when we get there...

...I think that's right up there with the invention that tells deaf people when the phone is ringing.

• Advertisement

I take it that the Corinthian has started as he means to go on.

Being No Help at All to Anybody at All :D

Thanks dude!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

...I think that's right up there with the invention that tells deaf people when the phone is ringing.

Deaf people use the phone you know

I personally think it is a good idea to have the menus in irish.

Its also ironic that the moderator of the "Italiano" forum" would say something like that about this suggestion

With the amount of people who commit typying mistakes and poor spellings and abbreviations etc i cannot see a program that translates posts being practical.

Originally posted by Muck

Being No Help at All to Anybody at All :D

Thanks dude!
    Telling someone to wake up and smell the coffee is a help, whether they like being told or not.
    Originally posted by fcddunne
    Deaf people use the phone you know
    But we’re not discussing the translation of the whole of boards, just the menus - like converting the ring tone to text, without the conversation. Pointless.
    Its also ironic that the moderator of the "Italiano" forum" would say something like that about this suggestion
    There is also a Gaelige board, where people can post in Irish, and I’m certainly not deriding that. But having an option to change the menus to Irish is a fairly pointless task, given that it would ultimately lead to posts written in English. I would say the same if someone suggested doing the same for Italian menus.

TBH, changing the menus without changing the content is for me indicative of the superficial, lip-service manner in which the Irish language has been treated over the years. Put a sign up in both English and Irish and it’s suddenly proof that it’s a vibrant language, leaving you free to ignore it everywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Being No Help at All to Anybody at All
    Who'd'a thunk it?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Who'd'a thunk it?
    The irony :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    :rolleyes:
    Seans mhaith nach dtuigfeá faic na fríde ar aon chuma ! na bí ag tairiscint aon 'chúnadh' muna dtuigeann :D:rolleyes: .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

What a useless thread.

Back to the gaeilge forum you trolls!

Muise, feicim cúntóir eile , (foghraíocht de réir an Bhéarla dár ndóigh)

M

Muise, feicim cúntóir eile , (foghraíocht de réir an Bhéarla dár ndóigh)

M
    cuntoir isnt an irish word is it? 0_o

Now, stop fantasising about more then 0.1% of the population giving a **** about a dead old language and get back to where you belong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I dont think its pointless.
    Sure, the actual posts will stay in English, but it would be a nice feature to have for anyone who would like to use it.
    Its just like googles Gaelic service, the sites are still in english, but its still a nice little extra to have.

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    Sure, the actual posts will stay in English, but it would be a nice feature to have for anyone who would like to use it.
    Its just like googles Gaelic service, the sites are still in english, but its still a nice little extra to have.
    Fair enough, although I still fail to see the point of such a feature outside of affectation and I’ve stated why - if there is demand for it and someone willing to do the donkey work to implement it, all well and good.
    Seans mhaith nach dtuigfeá faic na fríde ar aon chuma ! na bí ag tairiscint aon 'chúnadh' muna dtuigeann :D:rolleyes:
    Certamente le opinioni di caffoni è’d altri provinciali non mi hanno mai interessato un gran che.

if there is demand for it and someone willing to do the donkey work to implement it, all well and good.
    As I offered to do in my first post in this thread.....sular oscail tusa do chlab de réir mar a thárla.
    provinciali
    iCiao Jackeenista :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

A version of Boards we can navigate in Irish so that we can read all the posts in English when we get there...

Exactly.

As I offered to do in my first post in this thread.....
    No you didn't.
    iCiao Jackeenista :D
    Are you inventing words in languages other than Irish now? :rolleyes: :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

I'm a native irish speaker but there's no way in hell i'd use irish menus. The function of the menu is to get you to where you want quickly. Having to decipher the name of a forum which doesn't translate well into irish causes confusion and hence delays. It would be interesting to go ahead with this though and track how many people actually use the menus. I'd be very surprised if the usership reached double figures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Tá brón orm :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No you didn't.
    Yes he did. Unless you took "I could help" to mean something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

What he said.

Go back to suggesting forums for 1 armed jugglers please.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Yes he did. Unless you took "I could help" to mean something else.
    Unless Much has worked on VBB before, he cant help much, can he?

Originally posted by Celt
    Unless Much has worked on VBB before, he cant help much, can he?
    Why not?

The key issue as I see it is 7 bit or 8 bit ascii

Irish requires áéíóú and ÁÉÍÓÚwhich are in the 8 Bit ascii set but not the 7 bit set. Implementing 8 bit could cause grief within the Milesian JS which is a hound in some browsers already ....IE 5 for the Mac comes to mind.

The menus, font substiututions and browser peculiarities (or combinations thereof) may cause grief if the 8 bit set has to be implemented.....as it does. Therefore it may not be worth doing as it affects the overall usability of Boards. Who knows till ya try. I see cedilles and tildas in the Society / Languages submenu menu already :D though.

If Irish works then any western EU language can be 'skinned up' with equal ease. 8 bit supports tildas and umlauts so German/Spanish / Nordics/French can be deployed with equal ease. Funky sh1t like browser setting detections can be added then so a 'French' IE will get French menus and off goes Boards into Europe .

Kick it to a comm'it'tee , let the comm'it'tee fall out over it and report that agreement could not be reached.

M

VBB 3 does appear to have some multilingual support; however there would be a number of issues involved (off the top of my head):
    • The menus are a custom hack and so making the language dynamic would require some potentially substantial recoding on the server. This would naturally have to be done by either the admins or trusted parties given the opportunities for abuse.
    • Boards runs VBB 2.3 and so multilingual support may be either limited or non-existent without a version upgrade. If this is an issue, one must consider the potential upgrade costs in terms time, effort, money (are upgrades free?) and risk.
    • While translation of phrases could be translated by volunteers, as with the recoding above it would still require an admin to do the donkey work of inputting them (or injecting them directly into the database).
    • Skins would have to be designed and tested, then installed. Anyone designing a skin would have to know how it must be formatted to work with VBB.
    • Character sets, while a consideration, are frankly minor when compared with the above.
    So it can be done, and while I accept flogen’s assertion that it would be a “a nice little extra” to have, one has to consider the cost in work and resources that this nice little extra will chew up.

In short, is it really worth it - and not just worth the effort of those who may help in design and translation, but also the effort of coders and admins for their work, as well as the general user who may suffer a performance hit because there’s just that little bit more going on at the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Êáé óôçí Åëëåíéêá ðáñáêáëù.

Not refuting on this occasion TC, just commenting... :)
    The menus are a custom hack and so making the language dynamic would require some potentially substantial recoding on the server.
    This shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway, since the menu content is stored separate from the code. Well, it is in the default Milonic anyway.
    Boards runs VBB 2.3
    True, there'd be no point it doing it before moving to vB3. I think this is on the cards though. (Upgrades are pretty simple, but I believe the lads have hacked vB a little (or a lot). Yeah, upgrades are free.
    While translation of phrases could be translated by volunteers, as with the recoding above it would still require an admin to do the donkey work of inputting them (or injecting them directly into the database).
    Haven't really done any language work, so I can't really comment on this.
    Skins would have to be designed and tested, then installed. Anyone designing a skin would have to know how it must be formatted to work with VBB.
    The skin can pretty much stay the same, the only thing that would need to be changed would be the text on the images. I reckon this could be done without access.

I'm not really bothered either way tbh, since I don't speak Irish, but it would be a nice touch. And if it works for Irish and it's not too much hassle, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done for other languages.

(Come to think of it, isn't it possible that - supposing vB3 supports it - many translations have been done already?)

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    This shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway, since the menu content is stored separate from the code. Well, it is in the default Milonic anyway.
    But the menu code still needs to know what content it needs to pull.

Advertisement