Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Penalty Points Idea

Options
  • 04-05-2004 9:29am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

After the last month or so i'm just fed up of particularly the number of people talking in the library. Would some kind of penalty points system with maybe fine and/or exclusion which was applied rigourously solve the problem. It's just the noise particularly in belfield but increasingly in earlsfort terrace seems to be getting a hell of a lot worse, and people are constantly complaining about it on the boards here. What other sort of measures should be taken, short of taping first year art's mouths together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Have you complained to some on in the Library? And if not, the student union, course tutor, head of school, draft a letter to the college administrator. I can tell you one thing, thousands of people moaning on boards.ie won't get fuck all done.

John

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Thing i'm wondering is has it gotten worse, or did i just not notice it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i agree that there should be something done.

Originally posted by Red Alert
    What other sort of measures should be taken, short of taping first year art's mouths together?

to be honest with ya mate, as a first year arts student i find that its older students making most noise, at least around the history section. ya shouldnt generalise like that. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yes i admit, that was just put in for devilment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I think that they should bring in points idea, would need a bit of work to implements and i'd say the librocops would want a raise. I think there should be area's where you can talk though, say between floors. because half the problem is you may want to give someone somethin or say a quiet word, but the only way you can talk is by leaving the library!

they could put mic's on wall and be alerted when noise gets high, thats what my mom's old car alarm was like it was ok to have radio on but if it went high alarm went off.

There should defo be some sort of penalty for the people who come in a half 8, put a folder down and go off for hours on end. At this time of year its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

I suggest going up to them and telling them to shut up - if that doesn't work, go find a librarian.

There should defo be some sort of penalty for the people who come in a half 8, put a folder down and go off for hours on end. At this time of year its ridiculous.

Don't know about UCD, but in Trinity they have a fifteen minute rule, you can get a piece of paper, stick the time on it and put it on the desk - if they're not back in fifteen minutes you can move their stuff. You could also just put their stuff on the floor anyway. There's no way people should be wandering off for extended lunchs, lectures, a trip to the cinema and god knows what else while taking up a place in the library. Especially not people who only go to the library in the last 3 weeks of term, grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Trinity they have a fifteen minute rule,

yeah, they are meant to hae the 30 min one in ucd but it is never inforced. I wouldn't go to tell librarian but I was really annoyed once and I just gave a cough few pen taps and a strong glare. They were some idiots, talking about some party ****.

Advertisement