Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offaly for the Leinster title?

• 04-05-2004 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

From Hoganstand:

Offaly team-manager Gerry Fahy has sent out a warning to the Faithful County's championship opponents by suggesting that there is more to come from his side after the team's NFL triumph over the weekend.

"Down and ourselves are two young sides and I think you need the Croke Park experience to be built on and both of us will gain from actually playing there.

"The more experience you can gain at Croke Park, the better.

"It's needed by these young teams if you're going to cope with big games in Championship.
    "It was a good, close game and the game was a great experience for the players."

As I said before Offaly are the dark horses in Leinster. I'm off to the bookies to put some money on them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I actually expected them to beat Down by more than they did, but perhaps I underrated Down.

It will be an interesting championship though for Offaly. Westmeath first up. A real derby with no love lost between opposing players and supporters. WM havent beaten them in something ridiculous like 40 years. They've played I think 3 times in the last 3 years. Each time WM have been hotly favoured, but each time Offaly have put them, back in their box, as Offaly see it. I hear that Mad Mac has a particular dislike of Westmeath and always produces virtuoso performances against them.

But this time things will be different. Offaly will come in as raging hot favourites. A tag they don't like. And Westmeath, while they had a terrible league campaign, they have managed to get things together again. Paidi has reeled his neck back in and hasnt been seen in the media for months. For a change there will be zero pressure on Westmeath. It might have the ingredients for an upset. Either way I'd expect a cracker of a game.

I would be very hopeful of the Dubs beating Westmeath. Less optimistic v Offaly. They havent beaten us since 1982, so that'd be a factor - though it didnt stop Laois last year.

If Offaly did get by that, they'd probably have Kildare in the semis with probably Meath or Laois waiting in the final. That's a very long road to win a provincial title (4 games that are all close to 50/50), and I can't see them doing it. They're bound to slip up sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

congrats to offaly - well done.

hmmmm i still think it will be a dublin-laois leinster final but then again, i guess we just have to take it game by game. offaly are a match for any team and could produce an upset or two.

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I think that Offaly have a good chance of beating Dublin to set up a Wexford Offaly semi final (a unique paring for a Leinster football semi)

However I feel that that is as far as they will get, so it will be a Wexford Laois Leinster Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Wexford vs Laois Leinster Final. Now that would be something. Makes a change from Dublin vs Meath. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

I'm now backing Carlow to take the Leinster title. They will be a good bet to take Laois if you ask me. come on the Scallion Eaters!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

So much for the dark horses! Still say a Dublin v Laois final, and hopefully Dublin will shade it. Don't think Meath will achieve much, but never really feel comfortable writing them off.

luckily i didn't bet on them. The money went on Roscommon to win Connacht instead!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I had 10€ on Westmeath. Paddypower.com gave me 7-4 which was too good to turn down. Pity it was only 10€ now!

As they say, hindsight is 20:20. 7-4 was a good price, I had it as part of a patent but the draw in the Sligo game prevented me from making a sizeable profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Don't count of Offaly out of Leinster yet....

From todays Indo

"Offaly prove Morley 'point' was wide

OFFALY last night placed the ball in Westmeath's court over the Brian Morley 'point' they are now claiming should never have been.

Video evidence of the disputed 'point' was viewed by Offaly County Board officials last night and clearly showed that the score should not have been awarded.

Two videos of the Brian Morley 'point' in the 22nd minute were watched by members of the Board's Management Committee who drew the conclusion that they have been wrongly eliminated from the Leinster championship.

Offaly cannot appeal the result under rule 149c, but under the precedent set by Laois in 1995 when they agreed to a rematch with Carlow when video evidence showed that a Leo Turley point was wide, the Faithful County could be granted a re-fixture if Westmeath were willing.

A statement from Offaly last night underlined the growing anger in the county over the point.

"The video clearly shows that a shot taken by Brian Morley in the 21st minute of the game, for which a point was awarded, was wide. Offaly County Board is extremely annoyed at being eliminated from the championship in such an unsatisfactory manner."

Given that it was their first win over Offaly in a championship game for 55 years, Westmeath are unlikely to be in such a gracious mood, while Leinster Council will be keen to keep their fixtures programme rolling on without any interruption. "

• Advertisement

there is a precendent here as well... Carlow got to reply a game of theirs vs Laoid way back in 1992 (I think) when they proved that Laois's winning point actually went wide

There may be trouble ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There is a huge difference. Laois offered a replay to Carlow, they were under no obligation to do so. Plus the Laois "point" was the last score of the game, so it most deifnitely affected the result.

In the WM-OY game, there was 48 minutes to be played after the dubious point. It would be a nonsense, in my opinion, to have a replay in such circumstances. Westmeath people are also saying that later there was a WM shot that looked definitely over, but was waved wide.

I really cannot see the point of the Offaly statement, other than a case of sour grapes.

In any event , there is another, more recent, precedent when Kerry were awarded a goal v Tipp, when the ball went clearly wide. No decision was taken, as no decision could be taken and Kerry didnt offer a replay.

while i have every sympathy for offaly i do not think they have a case. as we already know the 'point' being talked about in question did not come at the last moment of the game.

as for the laois game (a few years ago) the point did come at the last moment and to be fair, Laois offered a reply, Carlow did not request one.

in fairness, i think we can point to all types of sports where crap like this happens. some people say things like this average out over the course of a season. however, i think in offaly's case it won't. pity!!

anyway, westmeath are under no obligation to offer a replay and i do not think they should.

--laoisfan

Taken from indo

This was Westmeath's hour and nothing would take it away from them that's until the Brian Morley point that never was became an uncommon currency of the chattering classes.

And people started seriously talking about possible ramifications. Like a replay.

But, to me, it is a very simple equation. Offaly knew how much they were behind at half-time; they fought back to level terms, gained a numerical supremacy when Rory O'Connell was correctly sent off for a foolish offence, but they were unable on the day to match Westmeath's wonderful resolve not to bow the knee again.

I sat beside a Westmeath man who died a thousand deaths hoping his side would hold on and then exploded into the most tearful exultation of gratitude I've ever seen from a grown man. After 55 years of being a member of the downtrodden, this was his day in the sun. Sure, I was heart-broken myself, but who could begrudge him, or the thousands of maroon followers like him, drinking that moment of satisfaction to the full.

Mindful that many years ago the Offaly hurlers benefitted from a goal that never was against Laois in a Leinster championship match, it would be churlish and unsporting of us not to wish our neighbours well against the Dubs and to congratulate Páidí and his lads on their ground-breaking achievements at our expense.
    This has sort of been said before but the last paragraph is the interesting one for me.

Were a replay to be allowed it would set a bad predcedent imo as anyone who lost a match through a score that shouldn't have been, or should have been could claim a replay based on the presumption that that score or disallowed score swung the game in the oppositions favour. Once you make such a ruling then a wrong decision by a ref could be seen to swing the game.

Wasn't there an incident just like this in a Munster club match acouple of years ago involving Castletown Bere Haven from Cork? I cannot remember how that one worked itself out. Does anyone else remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

was it not louth?

with a point at the town end in portlaoise that was dispuitted?

was it not louth?

No - Laois versus Carlow.
    Laois got a 'winning point' at the end, as it turned out it was actually wide. However, Laois offered a replay and won it.

Well done to Laois, they beat Carlow yesterday by 5 points. Carlow put up a good fight except for the last 5 mins. Laois definately have to improve but still a good win, we will take it!!.

--laoisfan

As a follow-up to the Westmeath-Offaly point fiasco it appears that Offaly may have won the minor match in similar circumstances.

(I don't have a link but someone who was at the match told me)

Advertisement