Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sasser Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nightmare......
    It's horrible when everyone comes in and things are generally crawling along and giving trouble.

It's even more horrible when I have to support them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by seamus

I agree, God help those people.
    Thanks for the links ColmOT [MSFT] I know a few people that will get this damn newbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If only they'd install a bloody firewall :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Tell me about it. You wouldn't believe (actually, you probably will because you've all gone through this scenario too yourselves, I bet) the amount of times I've had to deal with someone who's gotten a virus like Blaster or whatever and then I've tried explaining to them the importance of using a firewall, keeping Windows patched and updated and keeping their anti-virus software up to date. And what do they then say to me? "Ah sure, why do I need any of that stuff? I hardly use the computer at all and I only go on the internet once every couple of weeks. And sure that's only for about half an hour anyway, to check my e-mails and stuff. Sure that's not going to do any harm to me." You then try to explain to them that, yes, even a couple of minutes online without a firewall, a patched and updated version of Windows and no anti-virus software means you are 99% certain to catch some kind of virus. "Right, sure, I'll do all that, so."

Then, two weeks later you get a phone call from them to find they've only gone and gotten re-infected again or have caught something else because.......... they never actually went and did what you told them to do! "Sure, you only fixed the computer a couple of weeks ago. It couldn't be broken again. Are you sure you fixed it properly the last time?" Yes! Yes I f**king did. It's you who keeps f**king it up because you won't have a bit of common sense! And, so, you have to go out and fix things for them again, give them the same lecture again, knowing in your heart of hearts it's only going to fall on deaf-ears again.

Christ, even when you actually install firewalls, anti-virus software and all the latest patches for them they still refuse to update the damn things. I mean, how many times do you have to tell someone to update their anti-virus software at least every couple of weeks and make sure they always get the latest patches before it finally gets through to them? It's not difficult, it doesn't take all that long so why can't you do it yourselves instead of calling me out to do it all the time? Jaysus, sure I've even shown you how to go about doing it. What more do you want, for me to hold your bloody hand on the mouse for you? Would you like me to to wipe your f**king arse for you after a sh!te as well while I'm at it? :mad:

Honestly, sometimes I swear that some people shouldn't be even let near a computer, let alone actually own one! :mad:

Okay, rant over! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Tell me about it, I'm working in symantec and its a bloody nightmare. A lot of people seem to think its my fault personaly that they have the virus. Tossers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'll poss get banned for it.

But Ha Ha, my Mac is running great at the mo, pity though cos I always miss the excitment when a new virus, worm, torjon horse or STD comes out for windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

i have a great time when a new virus comes out... we're in da money !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Did anyone else hear the rumour about it was a fledglying Russian Anti-Virus company that started the sasser and then paraded in offering a fix for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Then, two weeks later you get a phone call from them to find they've only gone and gotten re-infected again or have caught something else because.......... they never actually went and did what you told them to do!

/me hears the sweet sound of "cha-ching"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nightmare......
    It's horrible when everyone comes in and things are generally crawling along and giving trouble.

I don't even have to do that :)
    Loads of people ringing work with it
    If there lucky I'll do shutdown -a and give em ms site
    otherwise VENDORRR!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by SyxPak
    /me hears the sweet sound of "cha-ching"

In Other news:
    RTE News is reporting that Compustore have reported 1.5BEUR in profits this year :p
    Originally posted by gillo
    But Ha Ha, my Mac is running great at the mo, pity though cos I always miss the excitment when a new virus, worm, torjon horse or STD comes out for windows.

All those Linux users feel the exact same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theres nothing like having to schedule downtime for all your production windows servers in one afternoon to get an IT support group running around the place looking worried. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Is this the virus thats on the news and in the papers that targets people who don't have a firewall? And that infects your computer just by going on the net?

I have windows 98, will that security patch work for that? :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

wow thats terrible that you have to do your job. I feel really sorry for you

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Tell me about it. You wouldn't believe (actually, you probably will because you've all gone through this scenario too yourselves, I bet) the amount of times I've had to deal with someone who's gotten a virus like Blaster or whatever and then I've tried explaining to them the importance of using a firewall, keeping Windows patched and updated and keeping their anti-virus software up to date. And what do they then say to me? "Ah sure, why do I need any of that stuff? I hardly use the computer at all and I only go on the internet once every couple of weeks. And sure that's only for about half an hour anyway, to check my e-mails and stuff. Sure that's not going to do any harm to me." You then try to explain to them that, yes, even a couple of minutes online without a firewall, a patched and updated version of Windows and no anti-virus software means you are 99% certain to catch some kind of virus. "Right, sure, I'll do all that, so."

Then, two weeks later you get a phone call from them to find they've only gone and gotten re-infected again or have caught something else because.......... they never actually went and did what you told them to do! "Sure, you only fixed the computer a couple of weeks ago. It couldn't be broken again. Are you sure you fixed it properly the last time?" Yes! Yes I f**king did. It's you who keeps f**king it up because you won't have a bit of common sense! And, so, you have to go out and fix things for them again, give them the same lecture again, knowing in your heart of hearts it's only going to fall on deaf-ears again.

Christ, even when you actually install firewalls, anti-virus software and all the latest patches for them they still refuse to update the damn things. I mean, how many times do you have to tell someone to update their anti-virus software at least every couple of weeks and make sure they always get the latest patches before it finally gets through to them? It's not difficult, it doesn't take all that long so why can't you do it yourselves instead of calling me out to do it all the time? Jaysus, sure I've even shown you how to go about doing it. What more do you want, for me to hold your bloody hand on the mouse for you? Would you like me to to wipe your f**king arse for you after a sh!te as well while I'm at it? :mad:

Honestly, sometimes I swear that some people shouldn't be even let near a computer, let alone actually own one! :mad:

Okay, rant over! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by begbie
    Is this the virus thats on the news and in the papers that targets people who don't have a firewall? And that infects your computer just by going on the net?

Your safe on windows 98. Dont need to worry about this perticular problem.

Originally posted by begbie

You won't be affected because your OS is ultra-shit™.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Gillo, this is probably a case of 'the pot calling the kettle black', but Apple OSs aren't without vulnerabilities either...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798

'let he who has not sinned case the first stone'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

it doesn't "target" those without firewalls, its just that firewalls are generally configured to block the ports that the virus uses, thus its having no effect on machines behind such firewalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

You won't be affected because your OS is ultra-shit™.

ROFL !!! that made my day, whats left of it anyway :p

The patches we've been rolling out are causing more hassle than the worm itself.

IE5.5 has suddenly decided to stop working, so we have to do a rollout of IE6. My head is melted.... :dunno:

• Advertisement

Seamus, what patch did you roll out to cause 5.5 to stop working?

IE5.5 has suddenly decided to stop working, so we have to do a rollout of IE6. My head is melted.... :dunno:

Sigh..bloody IE
    I've given up using in altogether at work now
    Only reason I use IE now is for winupdates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    Gillo, this is probably a case of 'the pot calling the kettle black', but Apple OSs aren't without vulnerabilities either...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798

'let he who has not sinned case the first stone'! :D

Why do you always do that?

there's a handfull of fixes there over TWO years for 9 and OS X and the majority of the fixes are for 3rd party software and not the base OS.

please stop doing this everytime a windows worm/virus/security vun is announced.

Originally posted by Emboss
    Why do you always do that?
    there's a handfull of fixes there over TWO years for 9 and OS X and the majority of the fixes are for 3rd party software and not the base OS.

Agreed, abit stupid to post such old and inacturate info here
    Alot of the *patches* are just issued to fix crashing issues (ie: quicktime) or improve performence with applications within OSX, these are NOTHING compared to the security issues with Win9x/NT/XP

Seamus, what patch did you roll out to cause 5.5 to stop working?
    No idea, they decided Tuesday morning would be a good time to roll out 12 patches concurrently. After that, it all went pear shaped.

Should have upgraded to IE6 long ago, but now we have to so....

Ok. Just as an FYI, all patches are tested on the various flavours of IE from IE 5.0 up to IE 6 SP1.

If there was an issue with a patch, it _should_ have been caught.

If it happens again let me know and I'll try to find out more info for you.

Cheers,

Colm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Your safe on windows 98. Dont need to worry about this perticular problem.

Awesome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Blah blah, pathetic clutching-at-straws put-down of MacOS...

Are you aware how sad and brainwashed you look when you do something like this? I thought you'd have learnt your lesson on the Unix forum.
    Originally posted by TomTom
    Tell me about it, I'm working in symantec and its a bloody nightmare. A lot of people seem to think its my fault personaly that they have the virus. Tossers.

I hate these ****. They don't even realize that they're the very reason that worms like these are so widespread, every infected machine in turn infecting dozens of others. The worst kind of fu<king morons I deal with.

I hope MS turn on automatic updating by default with XP SP2 as well as the firewall. Idiots need to be protected from themselves (and the rest of us need to be protected from these idiots).

AU & Firewall are turned on by default in XP SP2, as is a popup-blocker.

And to your other comment...I'm not brainwashed, I just understand software development and the fact that Windows isn't the only OS with bugs. Someone else is allowed to post a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment, and I can't? Where is your reasoning to this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The reason MS gets hit so often with virus'es is because its the most popular and its the most popular because its an easy system to develop, which also makes it the easiest to develop virus for. So its a bit like complaining a square has sharp edges and why can't it be more like a circle. Also most software works on a 286 to Xeon. So again it just makes it an easy target.

Whats the Mac market share now 1.7%? Nice Machines and all that but why would someone even bother writing a virus for it? Most people don't even write legal software for it.

Advertisement