Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

power steering issues, again

Options
  • 04-05-2004 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I posted a message two months ago about groaning noises that were coming from the steering in my car (99 Hyundai Coupe) and the occasional hard steering when turning corners. One of you said at the time that it may be a worn power steering drive belt. Anyway, took it to my mechanic who looked it over and said that it was a loose valve in the steering pump assembly that was forcing the power steering fluid the wrong way. He said I needed a new pump assembly, sourced the part, installed it and it cost me about E350.

For much of the last two months I've had no problems since until last week, the steering hardened when I was parking in a multi-storey and I almost hit a parked car. I put it down to the fact that I was turning up a ramp and that may have caused it, thanked my lucky stars and got on with it. Noticed the groaning noises again last week and at the weekend I was driving down the country with my gf and found the steering seriously hardening when turning corners, dangerously.

What I want to know is what kind of come back do I have on this with the mechanic if its the new pump assembly? Surely its currently covered by warranty as I don't want to fork out that kind of cash twice (especially with insurance and tax due the same bloody month). Or, could it be another problem entirely? Suggestions and solutions would be welcome. Jake

Advertisement