Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robomow - A robotic lawnmower

Options
  • 04-05-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of the Robomower? Seemingly it can cut lawns up to 1500 square meters. I'm currently thinking about buying a ride on lawmower (approx 2,500 Euro). However the robomower costs 1700 Euro. What do you think?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Hi.
    I dont think you could compare one of them with a ride-on mower.
    The chart on the site says it's about the equivalent of a 5.5hp (53cm) walk behind.

What size is your lawn? Maybe the ride on would be too big? An E2,500 one sounds pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

It's a half acre site Licksy. I wouldn't even contemplate cutting it with a push mower (it takes about 3 hours to cut with a ride on).

Hi.
    Half an acre is about 2,000 square metres... so take the house and driveway and whatever off that and you might have 1,500 metres of lawn?

My preference wouldn't be to buy something that would be at the limit of its capacity (assuming a simple lawn). I honestly have no experience of them and perhaps they are great - I'm just thinking about the figures on their site.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If the lawn is uneven or not a regular shape will it matter to the robotic lawn mower. Also, what is its load space like ? It doesn't look too big. It might be a robot lawn mower but i doubt if it empty by itself.

It's a mulching mower, so basically it cuts the ****e out of the grass and leaves it there... which is fine once you cut when dry and pretty regularly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

some knacker will nick the thing

(jazuz look at dat, fook sake)

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

I agree Licksey it would be at the limit of it's capacity. I think I'll just go with the ride on.
    If the lawn is uneven or not a regular shape will it matter to the robotic lawn mower. Also, what is its load space like ? It doesn't look too big. It might be a robot lawn mower but i doubt if it empty by itself.

As Licksey said it mulches the lawn. I think the idea is you leave this thing running everyday/night and it keeps the lawn length nice and tight. Regarding the irregular lawn you lay down a wire around your lawn which will enable the mower to cut to the edges and not drop off onto the path/drive/flower bed. If it bumps into a tree it reverses and finds an alternate route. It can cut sloping lawns once the gradiant isn't more than 20%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dsutton

Some people use Robomow for as much as 1 acre of lawn. The capacity question comes down to 'how often do you have to run it?'

On a single battery charge it will cut 1/6 acre (750m2) if the lawn is not cluttered with loads of trees and flowerbeds and such. (Trees and flowerbeds reduce the efficiency as the mower has to work its way between/out of these obstacles which takes time).

If you consider that it takes you 3 hours to use a ride-on and multiply that by the grass growing season then you can easily get up to 70 hours spent mowing the lawn - that's almost two whole working weeks!

For your lawn size you would have to run the mower on two and possibly three charges.

It is so incredibly easy to put the mower going (5 minutes max) that you are looking at mowing your lawn in 15 minutes a week instead of 3 hours.

If you still haven't bought the ride-on then I'd be happy to offer you a money-back guarantee if you bought the mower and then decided you wanted to go for the ride-on after all.

Personally I find robomow to be fantastic.

- David

Thanks for the heads up David. Are you a retailer? I would be interested in getting more info from you. Have you any idea what the expected life expectancy of the mowr is?
    If you still haven't bought the ride-on then I'd be happy to offer you a money-back guarantee if you bought the mower and then decided you wanted to go for the ride-on after all.

I would def be interested in this as I havn't bought a ride on yet. Can you post or PM details.

Are you a retailer?
    We are the Irish distributors for robomow but we also retail if there is no dealer in your area yet.
    Have you any idea what the expected life expectancy of the mowr is?
    Most recently I have seen estimates of a 10 year lifespan for the mower. However in reality all we can say for sure is that some folks are in their fifth season and going strong.

Please feel free to call me at 086 814 4011, or alternatively my email is david at suttontrading.com (I've spelled it out to minimize the likelyhood of spammers automatically harvesting it).

• Advertisement

Email sent. How did you find this thread!!

Looking forward to your reply.

How did you find this thread!!
    Careful analysis of web-site logs. I'll look out for your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

How does it compare to the http://www.mowbot.co.uk/ ? Do they work on sloping and uneven lawns?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

will it not just cause thatch and allow disease into the lawn?

Advertisement