Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scumbags Broke into my Car

Options
  • 04-05-2004 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Went to Liffey Valley last night and some w*nkers broke into my car while I was in the cinema. They forced open the passenger door and ripped out my 300 euro stereo and most of the dash around it causing my dashboard lights to break too!

Question is how does this affect my insurance if I claim? Its my first year driving so Ive only got Third Party Fire & Theft coz my premium is roughly 3,000 euro. If I claim how will it affect my insurance next year? Am I even covered for this damage???

Its going to cost me a fortune to get it fixed myself, Im gonna need a new door handle on my passenger side - Ive a limited edition Mitsubishi Colt with chrome door handles so they're not cheap, whats even worse is I might need a new lock on that side.

I'll also need to get the dash lights looked at, a new section of the dash where the stereo was pulled out, and a new stereo!!

It's killing me that way I done absolutely nothing wrong and Im still going to get screwed either way!!

Anyone any advice on what I can do?? I rang the insurance co. but their phones are down so Im waiting for them to get back to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Did you leave the face on the stereo by any chance??
    Every weekend without fail I sell/fit at least 10 glasses and stereos to people whos cars were broken into in Liffey valley shopping centre.
    And every one of them has left the face on their stereo.You are covered by insurance once its not only 3rd party you have but your premium will jump by a fair bit I believe.
    See if Liffey valley management will do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Yeah - I left the face on it alright - but tbh it was probably only the second time Ive left it on - we were rushing to the cinema and never thought of taking it off :mad:

Liffey Valley are checking the camera'a atm but Im not getting my hopes up.

Know anywhere that sells second-hand parts in Limerick/Wicklow/Carlow??

insurance company just got back to me - listen to this....

they said if I decide to claim I have to pay the first 380 euro towards the cost of getting the car fixed and even then I will be liable to a 40% increase on my premium next year!

What the hell are we paying these cowboys for? Im paying them 3,000 euro for NOTHING!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

i agree completely. Insurance is an absolute joke.
    I have a friend who had Full NCD protection on his insurance.
    He got broken into in Liffey valley and claimed on his insurance.
    €4000 worth of damage even though the car didnt move. They just smashed it up.
    So the following year he rings around for quotes and gets told NCD protection doesnt count unless its with the company he was insured with. So now he's tied to one insurance company.
    Then he calls his own comapny for a new quote and gets qouted 20% more even though he still has a full NCD.
    So for the laugh he calls them with a different name and same details and gets a quote of less than he paid the year before.

Conclusion: NCD Protection is money for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by trotter_inc
    insurance company just got back to me - listen to this....

they said if I decide to claim I have to pay the first 380 euro towards the cost of getting the car fixed and even then I will be liable to a 40% increase on my premium next year!

What the hell are we paying these cowboys for? Im paying them 3,000 euro for NOTHING!!

Oh, so the injuries/life of someone you hit in your car is 'nothing' is it? That's what your third party is for. Thiry party fire and theft. It means it covers damage to third parties, fire damage to your car and theft of your car. It's hardly a complicated concept to grasp.

It takes 20 seconds to take the face off your stereo and stick it in the glove compartment, was your film really that important? Don't hold out much hope of liffey valley management reimbursing you, did you not notice all the signs in the car park that state 'cars parked at owners risk'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

There is a scrap yard just outside of Carlow town on the Laois side that I have often bought parts off of and you might be lucky.

059 9147729

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Originally posted by eth0_
    Oh, so the injuries/life of someone you hit in your car is 'nothing' is it? That's what your third party is for. Thiry party fire and theft. It means it covers damage to third parties, fire damage to your car and theft of your car. It's hardly a complicated concept to grasp.

It takes 20 seconds to take the face off your stereo and stick it in the glove compartment, was your film really that important? Don't hold out much hope of liffey valley management reimbursing you, did you not notice all the signs in the car park that state 'cars parked at owners risk'?

This is fair enough, but i think his ppoint had nothing to do with injuring people.
    OK, so he injures someone and pays for that you can understand the premium going up.
    But he didnt injure someone and the cost is certainly nowhere near as high for a breakin to the insurance company. How can they justify 40% the following year (and for all he knows, every year after that).

By the way i dont go to Liffey Valley anymore.
    I know several and have heard of lots of other getting their cars broken into in the car park there.

EthO.. I'm merely making the point that Im paying these guys for insurance and as soon as I want something from them Im getting nothing back!

I mentioned nothing about driving on roads or injuring anyone - so RELAX!

Thanks for that number Veron01 - might try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Originally posted by eth0_

It takes 20 seconds to take the face off your stereo and stick it in the glove compartment, was your film really that important?

that must b the second most obvious place after the door pocket to hide the facia of the radio.

It must work though - I always (except this one) leave it in the glove box - no-one's ever tried robbing it once they cant see it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement