Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill Receives Damages over Article linking him with the pool

• 04-05-2004 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Damages fro O'Neill over Pool link

Martin O'Neill took a libel case about claims he had signed an agreement contract to join the pool, he was awarded damages in the court.

I was pretty sure he was going to Anfield but now I'm not so sure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great news. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

He Stated when he left Leicester he would have only left for 2 clubs - Celtic and Man Utd. Wonder what hes waiting for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I was pretty sure he was going to Anfield but now I'm not so sure

The article in question stated that he had signed a pre-contract agreement to join Liverpool in 2003. I would say that he sued more for defamation of character.

Anyway Houllier will probably be there next season, but unless something happens it could be his last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

O'Neill is definitely leaving Glasgow, because his family hate it up there. ManU is no longer his ideal job, either Arsenal or Chelsea is. His wife wants to move to the London area and they agreed at the time of the Celtic move "this one's for my career, the next one will be for you". However, O'Neill is still ambitious and ideally he'd like a Champions League team. This is all from a work colleague who's friendly with O'Neill's family up North.

Spurs have offered him their job. He's asked them to wait till the summer to see what else he's offered, and they've agreed. If either Newcastle or Liverpool offer him the job, and they have NOT qualified for the CL, then he'll pick Spurs ahead of them.

If either Arsenal (no chance) or Chelsea (thought to be unlikely, but Chelsea are very unpredictable) ask him, he would definitely accept.

ManU are the one team in the North that his wife would relent on, and wouldnt have much of a problem with, as it would be such a massive opportunity - but apparently within the O'Neill family circles, they think it very unlikely that United would ask him.

If Liverpool or Newky got 4th place, and asked O'Neill to manage them, then he'd have a big poser, that my source does not know the answer to.

- Keep the wife happy and stick with Spurs
    - Annoy the wife and take the big job.

You'd imagine he'd go with the latter, but my source is far from sure from his ties. But it is certain that he will not be going to Liverpool if they finish 5th or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by The Rooster
    O'Neill is definitely leaving Glasgow, because his family hate it up there. ManU is no longer his ideal job, either Arsenal or Chelsea is. His wife wants to move to the London area and they agreed at the time of the Celtic move "this one's for my career, the next one will be for you". However, O'Neill is still ambitious and ideally he'd like a Champions League team. This is all from a work colleague who's friendly with O'Neill's family up North.

funny.. i live in the north about 25 minutes away from Kilrea - where he is from and I hear a different story..

why would a man that supports the club and invests money into the club, want to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I didnt say he wanted to leave. I said his wife wanted to leave, and he wants to please her.:dunno:

But also maybe winning a 2 team league every year gets a little boring after a while - especially when failing in the CL. And of course without Larsson (and maybe one or two more), Celtic are very likely to be just as bad as Rangers next season.

Spurs would certainly be a challenge! And despite being 4th or 5th bottom, I would see O'Neill putting them up there with Villa hot on the heels of Newky and LPool, challenging for a UEFA spot and maybe even 4th place.

Another possible option, but I left it out previously as it now seems likely Sven will stay, is the England's manager's position. If Sven had left, MON would have been very high on the FA's wishlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yes, liverpool mess up any chance they had of getting him. nobody wants to manage liverpool because houllier has run them into the ground and squandered all their money.

the longer they stay with houllier, the harder it will be to sack him.

Advertisement