Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this enough time?

• 04-05-2004 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Continental Airlines CO 604 31 August 2004
    from Jacksonville / Jacksonville Int'l (JAX), Jacksonville, Florida USA 17:10

to New York / Newark Int'l (EWR), New York, New Jersey USA 19:32

Continental Airlines CO 163 31 August 2004
    from Jacksonville / Jacksonville Int'l (JAX), Jacksonville, Florida USA 17:25

to New York / Newark Int'l (EWR), New York, New Jersey USA 19:50

Status Confirmed, timechange
    Cabin Economy Restricted
    Aircraft Boeing 737-500
    Flight duration 2:25
    Mileage 822 miles Disclaimer
    Stop(s) 0
    Meal Snack or Brunch

Continental Airlines CO 22 31 August 2004
    from New York / Newark Int'l (EWR), New York, New Jersey USA 20:20

to Dublin / Dublin (DUB), Dublin Ireland 07:45
    (Wednesday)

Status Confirmed
    Cabin Economy Restricted
    Aircraft Boeing 767-400
    Flight duration 6:25
    Mileage 3194 miles Disclaimer
    Stop(s) 0
    Meal Dinner - Snack or Brunch

the top flight is my originally scheduled flight.

the next one is my new re-scheduled flight but looking at the times, it doesn't leave much room for error for me to make my connecting flight home to Dublin.

afaik, that flight to Dublin is the LAST transatlantic flight at night.

I booked with ebookers so would I be best to ring them and ask about changing?
    I know when I booked i asked and was told about $100+ to change flight.

:(

anybody any experience with something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seems quite short. I'd ring ebookers, or better still Continental and enquire about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

i havnt been to newark airport yet but 30 mins in any airport is not a good connection time. You need at least 50-60 mins for most airports and for the bigger ones like JFK,Heathrow and Schippol you need a bit longer!!
    But if your travel agent (ebookers) booked these for you or sugested these flights i would be seriously looking at a free change in flights!!
    If you booked them yourself...Good luck,

Gibo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have my mam ringing them cos I'm in college atm.

last chrimbo when i went, my first flight was changed and gave me 30 mins connecting time to get to the JAX flight.
    I was 10 mins late after customs etc.

also my return flight was changed aswell BUT I got a free change to the later flight from JAX to EWK which is the one I booked now.

/me hopes something good comes outta this. :dunno:

ok, from what i can gather, my flight has been changed to the earlier flight :(

I leave at 2.00-something and have a 3hour+ stopover in EWK.

maybe I can work something out Stateside ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

30min connection would not be 'legal' for that airport and is nothing short of insane. Coninental are obliged to accomadate you on other flights if they cancel something you were booked on which by your last post they have finally done (this should not cost you a cent).

If you decide yourself to change at a later date then there could be costs involved. To be honest although I'm sure you're not thrilled at the idea of a 3hr layover Newark can be notorious for delays so I'd be very hesitant at reducing this to anything less than 2hrs.

Buy a good book ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

If you can check in for yer Dublin flight in Jacksonville,
    and get yer Dublin boarding pass you shold be alright,
    as long as yer 1st flight is not delayed..
    (and yer bags are checked right through)
    They will wait a short period of time for you..

You'll be able to check in for both flights,
    in Jacksonville if you booked the tickets
    under one booking..

I've often had 20/25mins to change flights and
    has always gone fine..
    (A delay or terminal change can f00k it up though)

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tbh, would you prefer a 3 hour wait for a flight that you will get, or risk an overnight stay, and another flight, possibly at your own expense? :)

yea, I know 120 mins is better than 30 when I'll be rushing it's just I now have to leave those 3 hours early.

ehh...she wont mind :)

Originally posted by HarryD
    They will wait a short period of time for you..

Eh No, no they won't.

They'll wait precisely as long as it takes them to find your bags and offload them. And if you late due to a misconx then the odds are your bags are far far away too so the flight will leave on-time without you.

Originally posted by Bluehair
    Eh No, no they won't.

They'll wait

I've had a flight wait 5 mins for me.
    I've been on many flights that have waited for passenger(s)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Bluehair is right, they will not wait.

I have been on flights where they have waited for passengers connecting on the same airline but its always been Aer Lingus in Dublin or Shannon. I have never been on another airline that have waited for passengers connecting.

Different in the US, they will not wait. Especially somewhere like New York where if you miss a time slot for departure you could be waiting ages for the next one.

Flights don't wait and I wouldn't be advising be people to count on it in any way shape or form.

There are only two occasions where this might happen. 1./They have a slightly delayed slot anyway and weren't going anywhere regardless. 2./It's the last flight that night and there are more than a few pax connecting to it, here they weight up the costs of waiting a few mins versus the costs of overnighting those pax and rerouting the next day.

Increasingly even in the last scenario unless you're talking about a dozen or more people they'll go without anyway. Pre-911 it happened more (like buck73 says Aer Lingus used to hold late domestic flights for their own conx pax for a few mins rather than have to pay taxis/overnight accom for them).

Possibly the only other time would be for a vip and I'm talking VIP here (ie. the President etc. not some tossy frequent flyer :D ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Eh No, no they won't.

They'll wait precisely as long as it takes them to find your bags and offload them. And if you late due to a misconx then the odds are your bags are far far away too so the flight will leave on-time without you.

Not quite correct, whether they will wait for you depends on a whole lot of factors eg

How many other ppl are running late. (eg if half your flight is connecting then flight might get delayed)
    Whether your bags are already on board.
    ATC slots.
    What mood the dispatcher is in.
    Cost of re-accomadating.
    Whether all the Pax have checked in/or are stuck in security. (Very likely in the US these days).

[edit] my own advice would be never-ever accept a connection of less than an hour, or less than 2 for a transatlantic.

Some travel agents set their connection times far too low imo. [/edit]

Possibly the only other time would be for a vip and I'm talking VIP here (ie. the President etc. not some tossy frequent flyer :D ) .

So Air Force One will "possibly" wait for the president. ah that's nice of em..
    just kidding :)

Flights do wait a short period under certain circumstances..
    If we see a missing passenger is coming from a flight that has just landed,
    we give him a few extra minutes to transfer..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liamk

if your bags get checked-in they will wait a very short while i was on a flight where two lads got locked then didn't board the flight after checkin-in so all the bags on the plane had to be taken off the plane in case the two lads had a bomb in their bags and didn't want to die themselves this was pre-9/11 tho maybe it'll be different now maybe its not just go with the safe option if you can change it till a later time do if you really absolutly can't then risk it!

Advertisement