Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amsterdam Accomodation?

• 04-05-2004 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Hi - looking for cheap, decently located accomodation in amsterdam. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Do a search - this is a common topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Waxing the Gaza

Heart Of Amsterdam Hostel, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118-120,
    Amsterdam,
    Netherlands

Good spot, Cant get more central then this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Originally posted by Waxing the Gaza
    Heart Of Amsterdam Hostel, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118-120,
    Amsterdam,
    Netherlands

Good spot, Cant get more central then this

We stayed there aswell, twas grand... right in the heart of sleeze(red light district) nice little bar two doors down from it that was opened till 4 aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

are the flying pigs still going? I stayed in both and had a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Flying Pig hostels are usually dirty kips though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I thought they were ok, then again it was a good few years ago...and I was out of my head :D.
    There was another hostel which was really clean, beside the Vondelpark, but you had to have an an oige card to get preference on the rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

Originally posted by leonotron
    Flying Pig hostels are usually dirty kips though
    What do you mean "usually"? AFAIK there are only 3 of them and I've stayed in 2. Both were decent enough, good value and friendly staff. If you want to eat off the floor than get a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Okay, the two I've stayed in were dirty kips. In one, the room and bed with duvet were so dirty I slept on the floor in my sleeping bag. Splash out a little more and get a nicer place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

this is where i stayed
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~nellys/nellmain.htm
    It has a fine pub also and it is open until 8 am for the residence :)
    but em if u do stay there.. make sure u use the locker provided...
    a jumper and t shirt of mine went missing...
    Fairly sure it was this group of english prats that were staying there that took it.

check it out. Its a grand spot.. right beside the red light but that can be annoying at times cos u get absolutely sick of the eastern europeans offering u this and that...even at 9 am in the morning!

and take note that its more expensive to book online...
    so u might wanna just turn up there and....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

for anyone who's anyway interested - this is where i've booked - amstel botel

Didn't really want to stay in a hostel - most of the hotels are v. pricy and with some dodgy online reviews- this one struck the best balance for me. Plus its a boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

thats expensive..
    the place i was on about is like 20 euro a night and you get breakfast with that..
    Its a grand spot...

there's two of us - 460 yoyos for the 5 nights. about 45 a night each. And its a hotel. I think I'm beyond the stage in my life where a hostel will do it for me. Especially going there with my girlfriend - if I was going with a (male) friend for a few days of boozing etc it wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by davidwwalsh
    for anyone who's anyway interested - this is where i've booked - amstel botel

Didn't really want to stay in a hostel - most of the hotels are v. pricy and with some dodgy online reviews- this one struck the best balance for me. Plus its a boat!

Be warned, they don't allow drugs (if thats any use to you), and will come knocking if they smell anything funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

Bobs its dead centre. (just at the edge of the red light district) and cost EUR18 a night i checked and it is the cheapest hostel in the Dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

Bobs also has a smoking room that is open from 6am till 3am. they do breakfast and sell cans of heineken for EUR1 a 330 ml can. there are always people around its a good place. its also reasonably clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ellesmere

there are many rooms in amsterdam to stay in every nearly every resturant, bar or live sex show theartre has rooms above to rent. there is an excellent booking facility in the heart of amsterdam on the Damrak, their "O'Connell" street, opposite Central Station. I've been many times and just walked in off the street and they were able to book a room to suit pocket, tastes and location.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Be warned, they don't allow drugs (if thats any use to you), and will come knocking if they smell anything funny...

Not an issue for me. Wouldn't particularily want to sleep in a smelly smokey room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by davidwwalsh
    Not an issue for me. Wouldn't particularily want to sleep in a smelly smokey room.

Then you'll be grand. Its a quiet enough area, so you'll get a few hours sleep if your interested in that sort of thing. Spent the night of my 21st in it...

There's also a huge boat round the corner that is a Chinese Restaurant, it does decent grub with pretty good service (a surprise in snotty central).

Advertisement