Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Heller

Options
  • 04-05-2004 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Ok, i read catch-22 years ago and have read it a couple of times since. What i'd like to know is peoples opinions on his other books.Anybody i've talked has basically said they're pretty bad. Are any worth reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Years and years ago I enjoyed Catch 22 and started to read another of his books, "Good as Gold". Got to about page 80 and could not finish it. As far as I remember it was pretty tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by wonderboy
    Anybody i've talked has basically said they're pretty bad.

That's a bit harsh of them, I think. I loved Picture This, which is a very odd but very funny and illuminating book about painting, war and philosophy. It's a made-up book based on the facts of history, which everyone knows aren't true anyway.

I tried God Knows and Something Happened too, and despite getting a lot out of each I ended up giving up on them, but for different reasons. God Knows is very funny but a little repetitive. Something Happened is a long, unflinching gaze into the abyss of human misery (which I usually like!) but so incredibly well observed and acute that I actually found it pretty disturbing and had to give up.

Don't know about Good as Gold or the very late ones such as his memoirs, though I've heard they're not up to much. I got an audio book of Closing Time read by Elliot Gould and it was funny-ish though no great shakes.

So to sum up - Definitely give Picture This a go, try God Knows if Jewish humour is your thing, and have a go at Something Happened if you think you can handle it.

Advertisement