Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drink from a few years ago

• 04-05-2004 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭

Can anyone here remember a drink that you could make at home. It came powdered and you added water (or mabye it was lemonade) ive sorta remembered the taste from somewhere, and the powder came in lots of different colours, usualy very strong, red and blue probably. Does that ring any bells, id love to drink the stuff lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Soda Stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

is soda stream not the wee machine you can buy that fizzes the water with a compressed gas? the thing im on about is just pure powder, but it may have been called soda stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

sounds like a mr. frosty type thing but that was ice.

thought soda stream when i first read it too tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

My sister used to have a mister frosty, and that thing was a bitch to crank. I can still see my dad, red in the face, as he struggles to grind Ice cubes into a crap tasting slush.

yea they were a bit crap alright. the ice-pop thingys u could make were really cool though (even if they were completely tasteless!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

ah lads no not mr frosty it was called a creamola foam!

http://icnorthernireland.icnetwork.co.uk/web/reviews/content_objectid=13183745_method=full_siteid=91603_headline=-Foaming-at-the-Mouth-name_page.html im only after googling the right answer, so can anyone remember this stuff now? it was very very nice, full of e-numbers prob lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by weemcd
    Can anyone here remember a drink that you could make at home. It came powdered and you added water (or mabye it was lemonade) ive sorta remembered the taste from somewhere, and the powder came in lots of different colours, usualy very strong, red and blue probably. Does that ring any bells, id love to drink the stuff lol
    Hmmm, sounds familiar. Was it in a jar or little sachets?

Did anyone ever use spangles dropped into water to make a drink? I have a weird recollection of doing this, but I can't remember if they were supposed to be like that... :dunno:

what the hell is a spangle???

(god i feel so young....shouldnt even be on this board! j/k)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

lol! Well, I only have hazy recollections of spangles, but I remember a cola flavour, and they kida fizzed slightly on your tongue. I think there were a good few flavours, but they were just square little sweets.

I can't find any pics on the Web!!! :( But I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine them :)

<EDIT>
    Found this description :)

Spangles were fruity boiled sweets, with a very slight fizz about them. You could suck them thinner and thinner until you felt like you could cut your tongue on them, but upon trying they would always snap in your mouth.

They were relaunched a few years ago, but didn't seem to take off. The wording on the packaging was in that big fat-bottomed font, the same one that The Goodies used on their opening titles. Ah, the 1970s, so very tasteful...

'Old English' spangles were a more 'traditional' boiled sweetie, with flavours like butterscotch and humbug rather than a non-medicinal version of Tunes (a cold sweet) They were a kind of aniseed/boiled molasses/cough medicine flavour and were the sort of sweets you ate for penitence. They came in a black and white packet.

At one point, Spangles launched a 'guess the mystery flavour Spangle' competition. There were two in a normal packet and they were wrapped in white waxed paper covered in question marks.
    </EDIT>

man i missed all the cool stuff growing up.....although i am thankful that i wasnt a teen in the 80s. nobody will ever convince me that those clothes and those hairstyles looked good.

*shudder* just remembered my sisters disgusting mint green skirt with polka dots and the perm....oh dear god.....why the perm!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

The fact that someone mentioned sachets has ever so slightly jogged my memory. There was something like that alright. Its wrecking my head now.

Advertisement