Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people shave ?...

• 04-05-2004 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Why do people shave ?...

Ever since I reached the age when hair started growing on my face. I have felt that I was pressurised into shaving. Eventually, I gave up and grew a beard which I keep under reasonable control, and I am happier in myself.

However, I am still not clear about shaving:

When did this shaving lark start ?..
    Was it for health reasons ?..
    Or cosmetic/appearance ?..

Whats your honest opinion ?.. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Back in olden days beards used to come to life during night and try to take over your body.

This was stopped by shaving...

Think its mainly for cosmetic appearences. I like the way I look / feel after a fresh shave. But I hate having to shave each day. Growing a beard I look like a not so approachable person from about day 5 - day 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Years ago a beard was a sign of wealth. Rich people could afford to keep it clean and washed. Poor people couldn't. Food and dirt would get stuck in it.

Thats what we were told in school years ago, dunno if its right or wrong :dunno:

Personally I don't shave every day. Mainly because I couldn't be arsed. Usually about 3-4 days a week. Sometimes once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i like to go for the stubbly look as for the shaven i want all the women to join the anti bush campaign!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I shave because i like to be clean shaven. If i decided i wanted a beard or moustache (i could never spell that word...), i'd grow one. But i dont want one, so i don't grow one.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Apparently, Neanderthal men were the first to shave

http://www.quikshave.com/timeline.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Why do people shave ?...

Because they're weak and under the hypnotic powers of the Gillette/Bic/Wilkinson Sword triumvirate of evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I dont-well I dont want a moustache cause they suck so I shave under my nose but after that I let it grow.People who shave are corporate slaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I shave because I find rubbing my stubble when nervous stops me biting my nails. Also my beard comes out in patches of brown and blonde, rendering me ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

i think stubble on a guys chin is very, very sexy...
    just my opinion...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

medical reasons for shaving... Only one I can think of really.. It prevents stubble burn on the kissee.

I was going to grow a goatee (or whatever you crazy kids call them these days) but I gave up. Maybe I'll do it as a summer project?!? Sensitive skin is bad mmkay, cant shave more than twice a week without being in horrible pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I read somewhere that its the same reason we cut our hair short. For men beards and long hair give an opponent something to grasp in hand-to-hand combat.

Don't know how true that is because if you look at history facial hair and hair lengths/styles vary so much between different civlisations and periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

/me strokes his sexy beard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by orangerooster
    I dont-well I dont want a moustache cause they suck so I shave under my nose but after that I let it grow.People who shave are corporate slaves.
    :roll-fucking-eyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

society says i have to

bunch o shallow bastard men. and women actually. tbh the women are worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

maybe its cos people prefer the smooth feel ...

whatever floats your boat... either way, it wouldn't put me off someone if i liked them..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Man i just love shaving.... Its feels so smooth and clean after a good wet shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Originally posted by byte

thanks for sharing that link.. that was very interesting :)

THE MIDDLE AGES: 476 - 1270 A.D. -
    <Because women in Europe wear very large and outrageous headdresses, the bizarre beauty secret of removing all hair from the eyebrows, eyelashes , temples, and necks becomes tress chic.>

thats gotta hurt, blah.
    ~beth

Originally posted by byte

ehhh, not quite.
    neanderthals definately didn't do that kind of thing, was early modern man who did all that.
    100,000 BC is a horribly exaggerated estimate. they were just figuring out hunting at that stage, they weren't quite shaving yet.
    shaving really only became popular with the advent of metallurgy. circa. 5000 years ago, depending on where you were in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I have a goatee, moustache thing going on so I still have to shave. but i hate shaving anyway, so those bits of my face and chin I don't have to shave is a bonus !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Originally posted by alleepally
    I have a goatee, moustache thing going on so I still have to shave. but i hate shaving anyway, so those bits of my face and chin I don't have to shave is a bonus !
    A van dyke that is, i had a page with every style explained, but its gone now.
    I'll try googleing it.

A lot f girls like the smooth close shave thing.
    I shaved my feet the other day for the first time ever.
    They were burning me so much, and its very comfortable now. But i do a lot of cycling, and thats my excuse.

Not the link i had in mind, but'll it'll for now.
    http://www.wauu.de/Arts/Design/Fashion/Hair/Facial_Hair/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Because I'm baby-faced (and oh so pretty :rolleyes: ) so the only beard like thing I could manage would be alternating patched of stubly whiskers and bum-fluff that has yet to develop into propper beardy hair.

I don't like shaving but it's better than the alternative.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by orangerooster
    People who shave are corporate slaves.
    Uh huh. That's it. Centuries ago, men who shaved were under the power of the might corporation that was the local smithy/tool maker! Feel the might power as he bestrides his local village! ARGH!

I shave because I despise the itchy feeling of stubble. I dislike the grain rubbing against the tips of my fingers or the distinct feel of the hair on my face. Even if I had wanted to, I don't think a beard would suit me and I don't generally like beards on guys. Which may convince you all to suddenly stop shaving ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Somthing that's been on my mind for awhile

Why have I never seen an American Indian with a beard? not even stubble

In every film Ive seen you'd think buffalo must have s**t razors out for them

What did they use, sharpened rocks?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I assume it's ethnic reasons. Depending on your racial history, you can more or less easily grow a beard. On its simplest level it's because those of us in colder climates needed facial hair to protect us against the cold. Other races never had the need to and so their beard growing abilities (and cultural associations) kind of died off. Some even find it painful to grow a beard and shave it. There's an interesting sidebar about beards in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon (the girlfriend of one of the major characters was doing a look at the history of beards and discusses it in some depth).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monkeymagic

I shave because beards look dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

<Why have I never seen an American Indian with a beard?~bus77>
    theres that rumor that native american men can't grow beards.. i just looked that up to see if i was right on that before i answered u.. and apparently its not true:

this is a reply on some NA site forum to this question if NA men can grow beards:
    <native american men most certainly can grow facial just as any other male can. many native american cultures, however, thought poorly of it (the Lënape thought it unmanly) and so great care was taken to shave or pluck facial hair. the Lënape made razors from abalone and other similar shells and plucked facial hair as well. after extended contact with europeans, the taboo on facial hair seems to have weakened and facial hair became popular among the men...perhaps it was grown in an effort to become more like europeans and make assimilation easier>

another said:
    <This is partly true. Some NA men have very light beards, virtually no beard. Generally as they grow older this tends to change (not always). Some full blooded men have quite thick beards.
    No general condition can be applied to all NA men.
    A common practise was to pull out the beard hairs as they grew (and for some groups, tweezing out hair other places was common, including the head). If a fellow started this at an early age, it wouldn't be too bad>

good to know :)

now enjoy ur films and don't worry ur head about it anymore =)
    ~beth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I shave because well im made shave tbh i used to have a goatee and I liked it!. It proved I actually have a chin!.

Oh and Seraphina I'm dead jealous of your moustache :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i shave because i believe that beardiness is next to crustiness.

and my chin rocks... why the hell would i want to cover it up with some scraggly hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I shave because having a face covered in ungainly stubble annoys me (plus the added bonus of not looking like a neandrathal at work).

That said, I don't shave often enough. This I put down to laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I only shave about twice a week, on a thursday and a sunday. I don't like the feeling of stuble and it itches like hell.
    Coperate slaves my aunt fannie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I've had a beard/goatee thing going on for about 4 years now. I think I shaved it off once in that period. I usually shave once a week with a beard trimmer, using the bare blade for the rest of my (non beardy) face. Although recently i've started using a disposable razor again, because there's something kind of satisfying about it.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I shave maybe every second day, which elaves a kinda permanent stubble effect on my face - so *0's, but not in a George Michael way ;)

I don't particularly like the sensation, but I do have sensitive skin :o

One of these days, I'm gonna get an old style proper barber shave, so I can experience pure skin once again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because when it gets too long it gets really itchy. I tend not to shave every day, but I find when I go too long without shaving, it hurts like hell shaving off the result. Also full beards look seriously unattractive on guys. As for trimmed beard/designer stubble/whatever you want to call it, that depends on the guy. Doesn't suit some guys, on other guys it is well sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There is no simpler, cheaper way to feel loaded than to go into a barbers for a hot towel shave. It's the height of laziness and the shave is excellent. Ladies take note: vouchers for these make excellent birthday/christmas/tuesday presents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Originally posted by monkeymagic
    I shave because beards look dirty.

no way ... they are sexy.

short stuble .. ie I couldn't be bothered shaving today but maybe I will tomorrrow isn't kissable ... but you can't beat a proper beard ...

I think it looks distinguished

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Asok
    Oh and Seraphina I'm dead jealous of your moustache :)

bet you wish you had THESE follicles

/me strokes moustache

its great for looking contemplative. is that a word?

its great for looking.. pensive

/me nods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Seraphina
    society says i have to

bunch o shallow bastard men. and women actually. tbh the women are worse.

your the same girl who posted the pictures slagging of britney arent ya. . . . . the women are worse you say :rolleyes:

omg. look at the ****ing thread.
    i said not a ****ing word against her.

JESUS!

Originally posted by Seraphina
    omg. look at the ****ing thread.
    i said not a ****ing word against her.

JESUS!

Nice temper u got there. i did "look at the ****ing thread." and you did say that you look a dam sight better than her, and also some comment about how good she looked to begin with. ill quote ya if ya want. u only posted the pictures to have a pop at her, be honest.

i just think its a bit hippocritical after your comment about how vain men are.

:rolleyes:

as i said in the other thread that comment about me being better looking was a joke. jesus if i was better looking than her i'd be freakin modelling.

and i said assumed she looked pretty good to begin with, as in i didn't realise the make up actually made that much difference. like i said about 3 times already i was actually genuinely surprised at the difference. in fact i dont even think she looks that bad in the ****ing pictures, i was just amazed that she appears to have some acne which you couldn't spot in any normal pictures and you'd never guess she had.

• Advertisement

ok. if i misunderstood i apologise, but i still dont think i did.

i wont mention the tourettes outburst.

that's the thing. i said nothing but everyone jumped to conclusions about why i posted the pics.
    if it had been a nobody it would have been different, and we've all seen the sites where you see the before and after make-uped and airbrushed pics, but it was so much more obviously with someone like britney.
    i wasn't being bitchy. im not a fan of the girl but lords knows she gets enough **** from the press. however she worked hard to be where she is and earns millions so i'm not going to cry for her either.

Funky's assumptions that i was ugly just because of a few comments i made were the most annoying. i'm not the best looking girl in the world, but his statement was ****ing ridiculous, so i got angry. hence the swearing at you in a different thread.

my apologies :)

well tbh, i (and everyone else probly) assumed the pictures were posted up to have a dig at britney, in the vein of those crappy tabloid magazines showing celebs and being nitpicky about their worst features.

ur reason for posting em seems reasonable too. i wasnt trying to get at you i just dont like the hairy legged feminists who blame guys for all the worlds woes.

we can all be friends again. lets all go round to seraphinas to eat ice-cream and shave our legs.:D

wax paddy, WAX
    mwahahah!

/me pulls out the boiling wax and cloth strips and starts chasing after paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Urgh wax *shudders and cringes*

Anyways, back on topic, people shave because it's the norm. It's expected socially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

such a shame it is expected socially.

men grow beards. thats a request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Gonna have to ignore your request KlodaX. I don't like beards, aside from irritating me to the extreme there's nothing quite nicer than a warm soapy shave :). It all comes down to vanity in the end tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

(the girlfriend of one of the major characters was doing a look at the history of beards and discusses it in some depth).

It was the result of an offhand remark on Randys part actually "He's the suit, I'm the beard".

I love my beard, the notion espoused (in cryptonomicon but also on other beard threads) that men with facial hair spend just as much time preening as men who shave, is in my case certainly, utter bollocks.

I dont like shaving, i dont like the feeling of new hair poking out, as a result of this i havent shaved in about 4 years, i give it the occasional trim with an electric razor, bu its been so fucking cold of late that i've stopped even doing that.
    Anyways, back on topic, people shave because it's the norm. It's expected socially.

it is? no-one told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Stephen, Ixoy is sarcasm beyond your vast minds?Shaving is shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Even my family really tried blackmailing me into shaving off my beard as they believe it reflects badly on them :rolleyes: .

However, as the years have passed the negative comments have reduced in ferocity, except when I meet a relation that I have not met in a decade or so.

However, my beard is staying where it belongs, and echomadman I'm with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement