Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Word question.

Options
  • 05-05-2004 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Probably a stupid question, but I am a novice
    I have a new dell 510M laptop. If I open a saved word document through My Computer and try and print it the print dialog box does not appear but the border of the document will keep flashing.
    If I minimize the document the print dialog box is available. It looks like the print dialog box opened in the background. I have had many print dialog boxes open in the backround this way.

If I open Microsoft Word first and then open the document I have no problems.

Am I making a meal out of a mole hill or is it something simple.

I am running XP.

Thanks for your help…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Are you pressing print from the right click menu of the file in explorer?
    What printer do you have?
    A lot of printers have their own crappy software instead of the standard windows one?
    Is all thats happening is the dialog box is behind and word maintains focus?

I know i'm not being much use here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Explsv_Cornflk

I am going to the file menu in the word document.
    I have a dell printer A920.

I have noticed that when I open the document and click anywhere on the body of the document before going to the file menu to print, it also works ok.

I am just a bit worried that I have avrus or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Hmm, thats a puzzler. I'm stumped. What version of word is it?
    Maybe its something to do with the document not being active in word, but i could be talking a lot of ****e. :)

I'll leave it to someone else who knows better.

word 2003.
    Actually checked it out on a friends laptop with the same specs and the same thing happens so its not my machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Does the same thing happen if you press CTRL-P with the document as the active Window?

Additionally, is the document in maximised mode within Word, or is it a floating window?
    And the same question for Word, is it maximised or floating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mtbartechie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by mtbartechie
    Check here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;812075

Let us know if that doesn't fix it.

I have been away but thanks a mill. for all the help.

I ran Live Update but that did not work so I disabled Office Plug-In and that worked.

Advertisement