Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to improve star trek?

Options
  • 05-05-2004 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone

Long time star trek fan...first time poster.

In recent series's of star trek i have felt that the franchise has been lacklustre with its drama so i pose this question

How in the next or current star trek saga could the franchise be improved on in the ways of drama, tension and conflict?

Personnally I feel the next series should have more politics among its characters and in society both within the ship and outside. This has been lacking particulary in voyager because they had the oppurtunity with both isolation and the natural tension of an unsuited crew for its situation. This politics would help with intense linking plots with no more abstract filler episodes which essentially end where they began; perhaps only developing a single character or relationship. Such things should only be done as subplots in larger conflicts. All characters must develope drasticly which should provide directly most of the plots twists (possibly excluding the intervention of hostile forces)

For example: A captain who is slowly shown over numerous episodes to be both incompetant and alienated from his crew.

In this example and many others it would be effective if each season was concentrated into a shorter time span then usual.

Example: A whole season focusing on a single series of battles with all damage being carried over to the next episode encouraging a more realistic damage to the ship including the bridge and raising tension. Come on who wouldnt watch the final episodes of a series where the enterprise badly damage trying to return home while being stalk by a bird of prey Spanning numerous episodes if there was the correct balance of tension and social order.

One series which has pulled off a tense science fiction drama set loosely around a star trek style is the animation Infinite Ryvius. A space opera about a terrorist attack on a training facility resulting in an underage crew taking control of a experimental spaceship. The terrorist attack itself and the collapse of the training facility covers 4 episodes alone. The studants are then divided into socio-political groups including an elite and a anarchic dictatorship. I have only seen ten episodes and while very little has happened overall (the ship has only reached and has been in 3 conflicts) the characters are much more fleshed and interesting then any from enterprise (inc. a napoleonic/Louis relationship and several stalin trotsky like characters.)

The series engrossing and is a sign where science fiction dramas should go. Away from stand alone episodes and partly following inspirations from series like 24.

The battles themselves are very strategic and less reliant on simple orders and actions. Many conflicts happen on the bridge over which order should be given, battles theoriticaly take hours if not days and the ships do not respond like fighter jets as they are too large, more similar to submarines and other naval vessals.

While i am not telling star trek to become infinite ryvius, i feel a few leaves can be taken from its book and applied to the star trek universe as they are very well suited to one another.

On a side note anyone interested Infinite Ryvius i sadly report it is unavailable in Europe. It is a japanese anime but does not have many of the japanese stereotypes if any. The least appealing factor to star trek fans is the young age of the crew. To me it adds to the atmosphere. heres a link:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BWVD6/qid=1083716413/sr=8-4/ref=pd_ka_4/104-1784659-1622303?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'd be happy if they just hired a team of biologists to represent accurate ecosystems, and alien life on other planets.

The attempt at science is woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

QUOTE]Originally posted by syke
    I'd be happy if they just hired a team of biologists to represent accurate ecosystems, and alien life on other planets.

[/QUOTE]

Yep because 99% of viewers really care about that :p
    Come on who wouldnt watch the final episodes of a series where the enterprise badly damage trying to return home while being stalk by a bird of prey Spanning numerous episodes if there was the correct balance of tension and social order.

Um not more than currently watch it seeming the enterprise and main crew can’t be destroyed...It would be amazingly predicable and dull
    Meh your idea wouldn’t make star trek better it would make it even more unlike star trek than enterprise currently is bad idea tbh Your whole plan revolves around alienating most of the hard core fan base buy turning it into something its not and never was TNG/Ds9 proved star trek can get by perfectly fine as star trek Enterprise proves when you mess with the forumula it doesnt do so well.

So to make star trek better learn from Ds9 TNG TOS and learn from the mistakes of Voyager and Enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

A series like the others but about Romulons..sp
    Would be very interesting as theres so much to work with..
    Society..social structure..personalities etc..
    It would also be interesting to see their point of view on other civilisations .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Yep because 99% of viewers really care about that

while perhaps syke is going a bit far, he has a point. The current star trek plot lines of crap hackneyed ****e time travel rubbish etc. etc. and constant bending of the rules set down in shows b4 it just make it totally unwatchable. (and i really mean it i got 30 mins into monday nights ep and switched off.)

It's crap. The writers are just crap.

As was suggested in a thread a while ago, the whole series needs to be canned for at least 3 or 4 years, fresh talent brought in etc. etc.

The whole prequel idea was so shockingly bad. What were they thinking?

If you think about what Q said in the final episode of TNG, and then compare that to where they've actually taken the serieses (the plural of series. seri? serieseses? whatever) . Jesus christ someone just shoot them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Just do a series, that has a goal e.g. Voager --> trying to get home, great idea

& load of new technology, I mean WTF is with enterprise how can you do a prequal to kurk.......

Anyways it better be a goodun

• Advertisement
Advertisement