Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Olympic Games get cancelled?

Options
  • 05-05-2004 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Skynews.co.uk
    Three bombs have exploded in the centre of Athens - exactly 100 days before the start of the Olympic Games.

No one was hurt in the attack - but it has raised new questions about security for the event in August

The bombing has started in Greece 100 days before the Olympics games are due to open. There could be more attacks between now and the opening day.

I can see the American government asking its people not to travel because of the possible high risk to their lives.

If America does pull out of the games do you think other countries will follow and the games will get cancelled ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hardly.

Greece has had its own problems with terrorists long before the US got anti about it.

Wouldn't stop me going... remember the point of terrorism is to make you live in terror. If you changed your way of life because of the terrorists then they have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

I'd be more concerned about the readines of Greek for olympics than the terrorism threats as they still have a lot of work to do and opening day is not far away. There were strike threats by the workers over pay recently though it seems to be calm now. Hope it all works well for Greeks and I hate to see terrorism spoiling the biggest world event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

First to answer your question, I don't think it'll get cancelled. Also, I do think it'll be just about ready in time, these things always are. Although it mightn't be as well organised as Sydney 2000, I do imagine they'll just about get through it.

Personally I think the Olympic Games is a bit of an overhyped mess, and it creates far too many problems for the countries that host it. (Sydney 2000 was probably an exception however.).

[Off-Topic]
    But my biggest problem is that there are far too many sports:
    For example, why have a medal for Soccer when there is already a World Cup. I'd also like to see scrapped: Softball, Tennis (played by overpaid robots), Basketball. Just pear it back to the basics of human abilities - y'know, running, jumping 'n fightin' n' stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Also, I do think it'll be just about ready in time, these things always are.
    Well, the Athens World Cup which ended a few days ago showed that the shooting ranges were functional, if a bit rough-n-ready.
    But the Irish Team Manager who was out there and who works in constructing sports facilities, doesn't think much of their chances of getting the main stadia ready in time.
    [Off-Topic]
    But my biggest problem is that there are far too many sports:
    For example, why have a medal for Soccer when there is already a World Cup. I'd also like to see scrapped: Softball, Tennis (played by overpaid robots), Basketball. Just pear it back to the basics of human abilities - y'know, running, jumping 'n fightin' n' stuff.
    *growl*
    You'd better add target shooting to that list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Wouldn't stop me going... .

cool, whats your event?

• Advertisement
Advertisement