Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband rankings letting us down

Options
  • 05-05-2004 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

THE latest World Competitiveness Report from IMD shows that Ireland competes very effectively on a global basis, heading the league tables in a number of important categories, notably educational achievement, corporate tax rates and investment incentives.

But we fall down on some crucial areas, such as access to broadband communications.

When it comes to "suitable access" to the internet, Ireland is ranked 29 out of the 29 countries surveyed. It is also discomforting to read that the country is ranked in the same position when it comes to discrimination on grounds of race and gender.

And it will hardly come as a surprise that bribery and corruption is judged to exist in the economy, with Ireland ranked 19th out of 29 when it comes to dealing with these factors.

But the economy is also performing well in some other key areas, with a ranking of number two in the export of commercial services and real GDP growth. Ireland is also judged to be the second most welcoming country for foreign companies.

The country occupies third spot in crucial areas such as the export of high-tech goods, productivity and growth in productivity.

Ireland is placed fourth when it comes to promoting women into senior positions, our ability to attract high-skilled workers from abroad and the overall image of the country abroad.

Pat Boyle

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=1175355&issue_id=10820

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I noticed this report too, and it struck me as funny that we're so competitive on a global scale, but when it comes to local/national competition, we're woeful. (Not funny-ha-ha, but funny-they're-all-bastards. Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off topic junk moved here.

Sign, if you feel like continuing with that, head to the humanities forum. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sign

I dont believe it was off topic at all . My first reply was commenting on the article and my second reply was commenting on a reply to such .

Strange how the 'dahamsta' mod merely posted his own view without trying to censor mine but the 'Moriarty' moderator got a nice rush of power from moving my message off topic . Maybe o'reilly press owns boards.ie too . that would make a lot of sense .

I suggest that the whole racism headline is off topic ,

yours etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

your new here so you deserve a break
    ill give you some pointers
    mods are only in control of the boards listed under their name dahamsta is not a mod here so has no power here
    Moriarty is and if he says something is off topic it is

if you fell you have been unfairly treated you could take it up in the feedback / seggestions forum
    but it proably wont do much good unless you have alot of users to back you up

making ridiclus acusations like you did in the post above will not help your case

hmmm im tired have i just fallen for a troll? not sure :(

thanks for the pointers tuxx ,

In response to your pointing out how the mod system works, fair enough .
    Im not so bothered that I would want to involve anyone in any argument who wasnt a reader of this topic .As long as I get to express a view freely then Im as happy as can be .

This place is all about interesting debate , right ?if no one posted anything then it would be a a dead place. I think my viewpoints are all valid and have a place somewhere in this forum .

Ill just quote you if I may , tuxx

making ridiculous acusations like you did in the post above will not help your case

I totally disagree with the above statement . I never made accusations nevermind ridiculous ones . I merely speculated as to the reasons why my message was moved. I didnt bother to research the ownership of this board etc

And in closing , I wish to confirm my view that if this forum is primarily concerned with the achievement of a better communications system in our land then articles about racism and subject lines giving racism prominance are more off topic than anything I ever posted .

I was merely following the topic set out for me in the subject line and content of the starting post which was supposed to be an expose on Irish society and I resent my comments being labelled as junk which in itself is an unsubstantiated accusation .

yours etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You still can't get wired broadband in Ranelagh - doesn't matter what race, colour, religion or sexuality you are. Apparently it's the same for all folk - a non-discrimatory policy from Eircom! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ISTR that Ranelagh (canal end) is on a remote concentrator which is a micro exchange in a box somewhere. Some 01497 numbers are affected. Typically these concentrators will not support BB because are too small to have the DSL kit shoehorned into them . They are also found in new suburbs where Eircom 'ran out' of copper due to deliberate underinvestment in ducting. Galway City has 2 at least if not 3 .

If you went for the ESAT BUSINESS DSL (not the IOL branded stuff) you may find that Eircom has to wire your line in such a way that it bypasses the concentrator and is patched directly into the main exchange. That is not guaranteed but it is guaranteed that the consumer DSl will not work, no matter who ya ask.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Looks like I'm on that mirco-exchange...yet I am only a few hundred metres from the office block concentration on Harcourt Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Concentrator MUST be attached to one of the exchanges on this list Here otherwise you are wasting your time and everybody elses. ESAT Business DSL is only available from some 10 of the 30 odd exchanges in greater Dublin City.

A side effect of being FULLY unbundled is that you may lose your landline number and all voice services on that line in order to get DSL .

A PARTIAL unbundle may not work, this is where you have ESAT DSL but Eircom voice line and your existing number. That is because Eircom will not disconnect you from the concentrator. Tell ESAT you are prepared to lose the number to get BB if that is indeed the case, if not then you are stuck.

You can order a new pairgained piece of crap line to do voice only for you or voice and sl0000wwww fax and port the number over to it but you will have to rent two lines. You awill also have to ensure that Eircom dont try to pairgain the DSL line.

Try to speak to a product manager for Business DSL in ESAT or a Business Account manager who can ask a product manager. This could require 3 or 4 calls. The front line customer services in there are scary but not as scary as Biddy if the process goes awry and you are back to one (pairgained) Eircom line :D

You are also close to the RtÉ mast which has Leap Wireless BB . If you have restrictions on sticking aerials on your pad then do tell them what these are before you ask for a LOS test. It is pricier than DSL but is reputedly lethally fast and is also uncapped . Search Boards for comments on Leap, I have yet to see a bad one.

If there are restrictions on what you can bolt outside your house you may have to wait for IBB to get their 3.5Ghz Ripwave Kit working in your area. This uses a gizmo with built in aerial that sits on the table beside your computer and has no external elements. IBB's rollout plans are legendary . 2 Months . 2 Months and 2 Months .

You are by no means in the third world or buried in a deep (but picturesque) Glen in the Wickila mountains where your only 2 way BB option is expensive cruddy VSAT .

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off topic stuff split and moved here. Feel free to continue the debate over there. Just to be clear, the racisim stuff is off-topic in here, so head to the humanities thread if you want to discuss that. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for acknowledging the validity of my point by changing the subject line of this thread

Advertisement