Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband via power lines finally here?

• 05-05-2004 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

16 schools in dublins liberties are now hooked up to broadband.
    The powerline technology does not require a phone network to provide broadband to each desktop computer and uses existing eletricity sockets to pipe the internet directly into classrooms.

This project marks the first comercial deployment of powerline broadband equipment in Ireland. This iniative uses 34mbyte point to multi-point wireless technology to deliver high speed access from a transmitter on top of the Guinness Storehouse to recievers positioned on the roof of each school with speeds of up to ten times faster than standard 512 DSL connections.

Not quite what i was expecting wheni read the article, but interestig none-the-less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah.. just networking via powerlines internally in the schools. I suppose in some situations it's preferable to do this instead of knocking loads of holes in walls to run cat 5.

a tad disappointing none the less. I was half expecting some big sceal from some ESB spokesperson. Ahh well, the waiting continues

Advertisement