Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judgement Day thoughts/predictions

• 05-05-2004 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

As far a SD PPVs go, this could be an ok show, but i would put the mortage on it.

The Taker vs Booker match could be interesting, booker can really make some good matches when he puts enough thought into them and develops a few good spots, cause we know Taker cant wrestle and he's gonna play his phenom role of not staying down anyway.

Eddie vs JBL, I really dont know what to think here, Eddie great but Bradshaw in a main even, Im not so sure.

Cena vs Dupree, two great wrestlers, this could be and most likely will be the match of the night as long as they work the match well over the next two SDs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

An OK show?
    Dupree a good wrestler?

What shows have you been watching. This is the worst PPV in recient years and is getting worse every week. Smackdown smells like WCW did before it belly uped and went down. It sucks. Get Judgement day over and done with so JBL can get kicked out of the main event status.

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

First of all, "ok" doesnt mean great, or good for that matter, it means OK! Its probably worth staying up to watch if your not getting up in the morning and if you read some SD spoilers from yesterday, theres been 1 or 2 interesting developments that make it slightly more attractive. Secondly Dupree and Cena are two talented young wrestlers (Cenas far better of course) who i think work well together and the match could be good if they build it up well over the next week.
    I dont see why you have to be so negative about the whole SD brand, their shows are still entertaing even if they are well behind RAW, and they have RVD and the cruiserweights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Of the matches already announced

Eddie vs JBL - I am dreading this one. Granted Eddie will be able to carry JBL through the match - but for some reason I have a feeling that JBL will take the win - cause McMahon seens him as the new Million Dollar Man

Undertaker vs Booker T - can we say another squash for 'Taker or atleast a DQ finish

Rene Dupree vs John Cena - cant see anything but goodness for Cena - but I do see him losing the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Judging by the quality of smackdown later this is going to suck apples.

Remember when RAW was bad and how their PPVs suffered. The shoe is on the other foot now.

arrgghh Bill O Herlihy get out of my head with your cliches

The point I always try to make about wrestling show, PPVs etc is that major negativity is a bad thing. However, I have always encouraged anyone to express their dislike of anything they belive to be inferior, but no to flame.

If you, for example, buy a manky burger in McDonalds you go up to the counter, complain and get your money back. Its the same with anything you buy. I payed for my digital bills, instilitation everything, for the one soul purpose, to watch wrestling. If I am upset at a perticular product I will express my dislike. At this moment in time I am very upset with the smackdown product.

Mabey I was a bit of a hypricate, and mabey I did flame a bit at your post, and if I did... Sorry... but I still am very upset and anoyed at Smackdown ATM.

Hanza

JUST REALISED THAT THIS WAS MY 666th POST... cool :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I am also very skeptical of Judgment Day and i have to agree that the SD product has just gotten soo bad at the moment, I've been watching wwe for 17 years and the last time i remember programming this bad Hardcore Holly was still race car driving Bob Holly and Kona Krush was fighting Doink!

I really think that the draft lottery screwed smackdown and could have been used to bring new life into the show, (I still can't understand what Shane Helms is doing on Raw) Eddie is a great champ but i'd have preferred to see ron simmons challenging than bradshaw eeugh.

BUT an important thing to remember is that SD is on UPN, a rather respectable US network (home to buffy etc) and as such the programming has to be differrent to what they can put on Spike (TNN) - which is billed as "the first ever men's channel" - . I think this is part of the reason that SD is becoming a lightweight show in comparison to raw, they are aiming for a different demographic and so are trying to include more humour, soap opera storylines etc to appeal to more people.

just my 2 cents

Originally posted by savemejebus
    BUT an important thing to remember is that SD is on UPN, a rather respectable US network (home to buffy etc) and as such the programming has to be differrent to what they can put on Spike (TNN) - which is billed as "the first ever men's channel" - . I think this is part of the reason that SD is becoming a lightweight show in comparison to raw, they are aiming for a different demographic and so are trying to include more humour, soap opera storylines etc to appeal to more people.
    Excellent point!

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'll probably not watch Judgement Day, and I rarely miss the PPVs, but this is partly because I have exams.
    I think it is ridiculous that they have only announced three matches at this stage. Of those three, none look particularly exciting. If there ever was a completely missable show, then this is it.

I agree with Hanza, very good point by Jebus. SD has a real family orientated atmosphere to it most of the time. We get the odd "holy S**t" but there few and far between, its definitely geared towards the "younger" WWE audiences but at the same time I still rate some of thier talent as the best. Heyman i think is also a good pull when he's used correctly.
    I hoping that some of you might change your opinions on the PPV slightly after seeing SD on sat, but again I wont bet on it ;)
    If what you think is right Ph3n0m about JBL, the WWE championship will lose a lot of respect in my eyes, moreso than it already has. Jesus, its a scary thought.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Originally posted by TheGreatOne
    SD has a real family orientated atmosphere to it most of the time.

I wouldn't really agree to that. I mean, there's the whole Rico thing, the racist angle with Bradshaw, Kurt getting thrown off a roof, Dupree assaulting Torrie....

In my opinion, it's as family-orientated as Raw, just that Raw has better matches and angles at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

UPN isn't actually all that big a channel. It is considered to be among the 6 major channels in the States, but it (along with WB) is looked down upon as just being pure crap. You know, maybe one or two really popular shows ever? It's not at the elevel that the other 4 companies are at. To use a phrase that has been relevant to Smackdown lately, it's very much in the minor leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭largerthanlife

THIS will be BORING!!!

eddie vs jbl- Vince will have his way with this one maybe eddie will win it but we could see a rematch at vengeance. JBL wins it will be crap he has no talent.

renne dupree vs cena - John Cena , Renne dupree is not ready to hold a title yet.

undertaker vs booker-t - either rvd inteferes and attacks undertaker and turns heel which i doubt most likely undertaker will sqush booker-t which is a great easy match for taker as usual. Lazy a$*. I'd wish he'd stop being like hhh and put someone over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭burningspirit

Originally posted by savemejebus

just my 2 cents

Yeah.... but if they are trying to be tamer than raw why cant they go back to the pushing wrestling a sport like this time last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

judging by the last few Smackdown shows Judgement Day is just gonna show how bad SD really has become!

for a start JBL is not or even near main event status and then throwing Dupree against Cena, i really dont wanna see Cena drop the title especially to the very overrated Dupree IMHO( the man brings a poodle to the ring???!!!!)

wont get near the buyrate that Backlash(thought this was the best PPV in a while) got!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i will force myself to watch judgement day as i try to watch all ppv's live but will have to keep the coffee flowing during it i think, normally we are always treated to a 'coffee match' during a ppv, however Judgement Day looks like being the first ppv to have nothing but coffee matchs..zZzZzZzZzZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

well at least its free

Originally posted by Gonzo
    i will force myself to watch judgement day as i try to watch all ppv's live but will have to keep the coffee flowing during it i think, normally we are always treated to a 'coffee match' during a ppv, however Judgement Day looks like being the first ppv to have nothing but coffee matchs..zZzZzZzZzZ
    Oh get over yourself Gonzo :D You know as well as I do that Judgement Day is an excuse to test out that new George Forman grill of yours with shed loads of burgers.

Whos coming to Gonzos gaf for Judgement Day and Burgers? :D

Hanza

Whoever is on the writing tream for smackdown atm must have worked for melrose place or some other really cheesy soap back in their day. There problem is there are too many soap opera like story lines going around lately. Like the whole Cafe Renee spot with torrie and
    eddies mom having a heart attack caused by JBL
    . But apart from the terribleness of it all, the matches can be very good, thats why i will watch Judgement Day, with coffee on the side of course. I just hope the Dudleys and RVD are put into good matches, which will save the PPV somewhat if they perform well.

I honestly dont know if Smackdown has enough star tallent to pull anything good out of the bag now. Its a strange fate when Im hoping a humours match with Rico and Hass saves the show. OMG, I never thought it possible Rico could save a PPV.

Hanza

Advertisement