Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Query

• 05-05-2004 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question:-
    I have Eircom Broadband on my PC.
    When I start up my PC sometimes the Modem does not seem to be working properly.
    Should I turn the Modem on first then start up the PC??
    Or should I start up the PC and then turn on the Modem??
    Or should I even be turning the Modem off at all???

Any help???

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

It shouldnt make any difference whichever way you want to do it. Cant help much since you didnt say which modem you have. I presume is Netopia? Try updating the firmware. I'm using a different modem and had the same problem till I updated my firmware.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by freeasabird
    Hey Guys,

Just a quick question:-
    I have Eircom Broadband on my PC.
    When I start up my PC sometimes the Modem does not seem to be working properly.

Any help???

Cheers.

When you say it does not seem to be working properly what exactly is happening (or not ) as the case may be and has it be working up until recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sometimes it can take a good while for the dsl to sync when the modem is first turned on
    i leave mine on all the time probably the best thing to do
    it uses 15 watts i think
    which sould do absolutely no damage to your esb bill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I got it into my head just after getting Eircom Broadband (6 or 7 months ago) that I needed to turn on the netopia modem first, wait 1 or 2 seconds then start up PC and i've been doing that ever since.

This is probably just the early stages of an obsessive compulsive disorder but since doing that I haven't had problems as often as I had in the early stages. Saying that anytime I need to turn off the modem and turn it back on (while system is running) it doesn't seem to have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I do the same as ConUladh turn on the modem wait a second or two and then switch on the pc, on a few occasions I havent and the DSL won't synch or takes too long and I restart the pc... I agree with the compulsive statement he says washing his hands again!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

The netopia is acting as a DHCP server for your PC, so you should turn on the modem and then any other device (PC, XBOX etc)

Grayarea.

Advertisement