Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is these Boards going to get a revamp??

Options
  • 05-05-2004 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Having been a member on these boards for a while and also a member of other forums (I'm not a traiter I'm just a spy),
    I'm wondering have the mods any plans to to revamp these boards.

Quick reply at the bottom of page is great and saves opening up new pages for those of us on dial up

Extra smileys can also make the posts more interesting
    or any other suggestions also welcome.:ninja:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

These boards will be revamped in the near future (1-2months) as we are currently testing VB3 on our new test server...

I doubt that animated smileys or quick-reply options will be included in the revamp though. Animated smileys make baby jesus cry and quick reply options promote oneliner "LOL!" type posts...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

down with quick replies, seen them in action in another forum type place and all you see is

Yes
    no
    N00b
    Lol
    rofl
    lmao

and so on.

can't wait to see what the revamp will look like, seen quite a few changes in my time here at boards

ps where's the tear rolling down the cheek similies for this moment?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

this could do with some links added...liek being able to go to the post directly && click on a user's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Boards.ie isn't wanting for much tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by seamus
    Boards.ie isn't wanting for much tbh.

couldn't agree more
    me so happy with my minimalist screen which blends in perfectly with the software I use for work, so don't change that whatever you do!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's good as it stands, but vBulletin 3 rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Kaimera
    this could do with some links added...liek being able to go to the post directly && click on a user's name.

i'm not really a fan of that page at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Remove all smilyies.

But esp the ww) one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Thats terrible. If thats whats going to be on the front page then PLEASE DONT BOTHER

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

please got rid of the cool newbie / freak / no life in the revamp. i know you can change them if you get a subscribers pack, but seeing loads of users with freak under there names just scares me.

i actually like that page *boards.ie bookmark replaced*, well except for the stupid pictures...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ach, couldnt be bothered using that frontpage til its finished. the dropdown menus are obscured too much and private boards show up in the latest 20 posts and that'd drive me NUTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

For what it's worth, I'm with Seamus and Beruthiel on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper
    please got rid of the cool newbie / freak / no life
    How about 0, 1, 10, 11, 100?

how about none at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

When you put the pointer over a thread title, and it gives the first few lines of the thread is very handy.

I want that feature:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What about sticking the top rated posts on the front page aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    What about sticking the top rated posts on the front page aswell?

oh ya thats a great idea would be nice to see more people using the rating feture had forgoten about it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by DeVore
    These boards will be revamped in the near future (1-2months) as we are currently testing VB3 on our new test server...

I doubt that animated smileys or quick-reply options will be included in the revamp though. Animated smileys make baby jesus cry and quick reply options promote oneliner "LOL!" type posts...

DeV.
    I've been asking for quick reply for about 2 and a half years, the forums I do see it on dont suffer from that problem.

If people post 1 word replies, warn them and ban them.

If the mods dont want to do this, get different, or more mods.

quick reply saves everyone time, and no doubt will save boards some bandwidth, dont ignore this feature on the chance that 0.01% of people will abuse it.

After all, if thats true, why not remove PM'ing, after bubbles recent spamming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

The only thing I see wrong here that's not been mentioned has to do with the voting system. I'd like to be able to vote without posting if possible/feasible and change a vote as I often want to vote, but only wish to do so after I've posted and have nothing to say at the moment. I don't want to put in a pointless post at the same time, so I go away and forget about it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I've used the quick reply on vb3 and it's not as good as it can be.
    To activate the box at the bottom you had to click a button above in someone's post. Ruining a good quick reply.
    Wheter this is the same on all forums I dunno but I'm against it for boardsie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Celt
    quick reply saves everyone time, and no doubt will save boards some bandwidth, dont ignore this feature on the chance that 0.01% of people will abuse it.

Where are you getting that figure from? Just making it up as usual I see. The overlords of boards.ie have rules against quick reply, something I personally agree with, and 93% of boards agree with moi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i have to say i like the new front page... as with all new releases of software there are going to be bugs and annoyances that will have to be ironed out, but the new design looks nice and 'professional'...

the only usability thing that is annoying is the scrolling of the last 20 posts on the front page... thats gonna drive me mad...

i would also say that the current design works well and has very good usability... as the old saying goes 'if it aint broke dont fix it'..

i work with a major software company and the effort that is involved with getting a customer to move to a new release, on the issue alone of a new GUI and its features is unbelievable... ordinary users dont like change...

my 2c anyway...

Just thought of something else that would be nice if integrated. When your reading a thread, you read it top to bottom obviously, and most forums will have a link back up through the heirarchy as it were at both the top and the bottom of the page. Boards.ie don't, and it may not be anything major, but it'd be nice if it was there none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    The only thing I see wrong here that's not been mentioned has to do with the voting system. I'd like to be able to vote without posting if possible/feasible and change a vote as I often want to vote, but only wish to do so after I've posted and have nothing to say at the moment. I don't want to put in a pointless post at the same time, so I go away and forget about it completely.

Do you mean voting in polls? Because you can vote there without posting.

No, I mean voting as in how good a thread is. Sorry, it was kinda unclear the way I worded it.

Edit: My god I'm a moron, I didn't even see the rate thingy. Uh, wait, yea, I did. Of course I did, this was all just a deliberate ploy to inform the masses about it. /me sweats profusely. Nothing to see here folks, move along :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I like it, it's quite professional looking (with the exception of Regi's naked table-top dancing :D ) and will go nicely with vBulletin 3's look; although I think it could do with the removal of that middle column. The 3 columns tend to move offscreen for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Stark
    I like it, it's quite professional looking (with the exception of Regi's naked table-top dancing :D ) and will go nicely with vBulletin 3's look; although I think it could do with the removal of that middle column. The 3 columns tend to move offscreen for me.

This depends on what resolution the majority of users are using to browse boards - and I'm sure there are some statistics available on that.

To me, the new page looks great, but the blank grey space in the middle column could easily be filled with the user specific links which are currently in the right column with the copyright (etc.) info placed in the white space below, effectively removing the right-hand column - which might in itself be a good idea, with functionality in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

RE: thread rating without posting
    There's a "Rate this thread" dropdown box at the bottom of the page when you're viewing the thread... or at least there is for me (using Cloud theme)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Well, so there is!

• Advertisement

Its there on all skins i think

Advertisement