Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Firewall?

Options
  • 05-05-2004 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

I'm on a college network so I am led to understand that it has a router/firewall. Don't really know the specifics except that the connection is through a proxy server. However with the sasser virus and all I decided to turn on the in-built XP firewall, I think someone refered to it as a software firewall, anyway I take it that it is not as effective as purpose built firewall software, but I was just wondering how a firewall actually work, the mechanics and all. All I know is that it prevents outside data and commands from being given to the computer. I didn't get infected by sasser, auto-update is on and Norton Corporate is up to date. But I'd like someone to explain how these firewalls work. Thanks in advance.

Comments

Advertisement