Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Installation Problem

Options
  • 05-05-2004 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hey, I tried today to install my Lexmark Z25 onto my Pc today but when I went into the control panel-->add printer it said that a new printer could not be added. when I went to install the printer from the cd I said something about a spooler service? This happen to anyone before? Can anyone give me any help on how to solve it? Thanks, Damien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

if your using an nt based pc, make sure your spooler service is running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I'm running Xp and how would i make sure my spooler service is running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Did you use some of the speed up tweaks on the net and disable a load of unwanted services perhaps ?
    Goto START>RUN>type "services.msc" and see if it is disabled in here, if so re-enable it.

EDIT: Should be called "print spooler"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

go control panel -> administrative tools -> services(icon is like 2 cogs) You should get a list of services so click on one and type p to jump down the list...The Printer Spooler service should be there - start it if its stopped(the button with a triangle like a play button) or if its already started - hit the stop button and then start it again...;)

Ok i've done all of the above. The printer spooler was stopped but then when i clicked start it says

Could not start the printer service on local computer
    Error 1068: The dependacy service or group failed to start?

• Advertisement

hmmm, tricky.
    Try this, go into services again and right click on the print spool thing and go to properties, then select the dependencies tab and see what it says in here. Then check to see that any services mentioned here are started.

whne i click dependancies it says
    w32: the remote procedure call did not execute?
    Ba$tard of a thing

edit: it gives this error on all services?

OK, again under services check that RPC service is started.

ahh i can't click start on the rpc thing but I can on the rpc locater?

OK, it's starting to get a bit out of my depth now tbh.
    Some questions though;
    • Is the RPC service (not locator) showing as "started"
    • Do you have anti-virus installed
    • Are you patched against the blaster worm, i.e. Do you install windows updates ?
    I'm reluctant to go any further into this RPC thing, as I don't know enough about it and it could end up in tears.

:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help Dre. Yah the Rpc is showing as standard, I have Avg all updated and what not and i'm protected against the blaster and sasser viruses. The Rpc execute line is svchost -k rspcc. Is that looking ok? that rest just seem to be pretty ordinary. The dependancies of the print spooler thing are LexBc ( Running ) and the RPC ( started but i can't stop it or restart it?) Thanks again

hmm, I'm all out of ideas :)

The printer is showing OK under device manager I guess ? latest drivers etc..
    Right click "my computer">properties>hardware>device manager>printers

no when I try to clikc that add a printer button if give me an error? So I can't install one

Oh OK, I'm just re-reading.

Back to services, is the print spooler service "startup type" set to automatic, if not do that and then try to install again from CD.

Clutching at straws now :D

thanks re-read the whole thing again after a restart and now I think she's ticking over >:C) Thanks for the help dre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sixstrings4

Hey are you still having a problem with this? I might be able to help.

Advertisement