Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modding Competition

• 04-05-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

If I could arrange a bit of a prize (nothing too mad or expensive) and prehaps an impartial judge, would any of you be interested in a modding competition?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Modding what? And what type of mods? If it's games then I don't think it'd be able to find an impartial judge...cept maybe yourself (but I'm sure you'll also want to enter), no-one else knows all the games involved well enough to judge the changes made.

I can't program at all but I'd enter for the crack anyways
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

He meant case modding ya rim jobbing lefty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

icon_rofl.gif

relko's acrylic case was cool last one, so basically if u want to win fit as many shiny neons as u can into a see through case metal.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm sure to steal the show with my clear side panel that i picked up for €5 in komplett's easter sale:cool:

My case clearly pwns you all with its battered sides and neogothicrepublicannneuefantastikaartdekotmansma design!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Asok
    My case clearly pwns you all with its battered sides and neo..gothic..republican..nneue..fantastika..art.deko..tmansma design!

ustartedtomakesencebutthenlostmemidwaythrough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Asok
    My case clearly pwns you all with its battered sides and neogothicrepublicannneuefantastikaartdekotmansma design!
    oi!
    don't make me come over there

But she does have usb slots......

/me runs

modding cases eh?

isn't that an opinion? Like there's a good few fully custom built pc's in galwaylan, Relko payed alot of money and has a disco thing goin on, but some (me and Cyan anyways) think it's a little bit overdone and prefer nice cases that don't stand out too much.

/me rubs the dell case and cries

p.s. Now that I've almost fully upgraded my DELL (HDD's, Ram, gfx card, network card, cd-rw) how hard is it to buy and fit a new case, and is it possible to get say an IDE adaptor? I don't have any slots left on my motherboard and don't really want to have 1 cable with 3 daisy chained ends on it.........?

dells are nigh on impossible to change the case on, im surprised u managed ot get new ram that would fit it,
    good machines but dont leave alot of room for upgrading.

something along the lines of toxick's old green case with the paint peeling off was sexeh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Fobia
    modding cases eh?

isn't that an opinion? Like there's a good few fully custom built pc's in galwaylan, Relko payed alot of money and has a disco thing goin on, but some (me and Cyan anyways) think it's a little bit overdone and prefer nice cases that don't stand out too much.

/me rubs the dell case and cries

p.s. Now that I've almost fully upgraded my DELL (HDD's, Ram, gfx card, network card, cd-rw) how hard is it to buy and fit a new case, and is it possible to get say an IDE adaptor? I don't have any slots left on my motherboard and don't really want to have 1 cable with 3 daisy chained ends on it.........?

You're not going to like what I've to say.

You need to get your new case, buy a new PSU, buy a new motherboard (or at least a standard ATX one) and therefor will probbaly have to buy a new processor, ram, heatsink and fan because afaik you've got one of the socket 4somethingsomething willemette P4s and RDRAM.

'Course, you could just spray it, laquer it and do a few tasteful LED/window/stealth mods.

Also, re: opinion, I was thinking of asking say 3 people to judge the thing, say someone who mods cars, a contemporary artist and some sort of NUIG representative or something - or someone from Boards if they're interested.

I dunno, I'm only the ideas man.

In the ram situation I can simply take it out and plug it back in again (it's standard DDR), provided that I put it back right eh Asok? :P.

Dunno about the processor being attached to the motherboard etc, I'm not that good yet.

I'm not considering changing case to make it look better, imo that's just sad, I want to add more HDD space so without getting an external (expensive) one/burning my computer up, I need a new case.

I think that anyone who mods cars will laugh at the very idea of modding pc's to make them look good :>

Actually, modding\painting a PC case is pretty much exactly the same as a car, except for the cost (in some places the cost is much the same).
    Neon, Go Faster Stripes, performance components etc.
    In fact, when I was painting my case I was using a car DIY manual and all the cans of spray paints, undercoats, laquers and rubbing compound I bought in an auto-parts store in Galway.

WRT your PC.
    Dell in general use a proprietary PSU connector,front panel assembly/connectors and often slightly non-standard mountings for the motherboard.
    Your cpu isn't stuck to the board, but it's not the same cpu as the current northwood P4s, it has a different socket (423pins as opposed to 478) afaik - I could be wrong, you might very well have a northwood P4, in which case all you need do is gt a new board, psu and case and everything else should swap over nicely.

{edit}Anyways, I've split these tech-related posts off into a seperate thread as they deserve they're own bit of space.{/edit}

<DooDee> p.s i am teh gh3y!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

That is utter bollocks john.
    U falsified that quote.

Your the one so far into the closet that you bought a ****ing clocking machine to escape the lion!

Whatever!
    gay_handbag.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I would have been interested in the Modding competition, only I'm going to me in bloody America.

It sucks even more because my case would have won hands-down. Both because of cosmetic and performance reasons :(

I call it a fix!!

Pay for her to come over here (again).

Has she been to Galway yet?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    I would have been interested in the Modding competition, only I'm going to me in bloody America.

It sucks even more because my case would have won hands-down. Both because of cosmetic and performance reasons :(

I call it a fix!!

The Bull r0x!

What do ye think of getting a judge/maybe a prize from a certain custom case/PC company who's European HQ is in Athlone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

alienware ? those boyo's know nothing . but they would know a nice case when they see them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Galwaylan has sold its sole.

and now hops around on stilts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Goku_C_lan

OK THATS A GREAT IDEA A MODDING COMP WILL BE GREAT.
    ILL EVEN PUT UP A PRIZE IF U WANT
    I AM BIG INTO MODDING IF U DID NOT KNOW LOL
    syx if u want to talk to me about it i use illfoxie on yahoo
    or relko99 on msn but ill probily see u in irc
    i am so excited i am narly wetting my self:D

Advertisement