Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 on Xbox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The marine has access to a flashlight that can cut through the darkness, but the caveat is that you have to lower your weapon to switch to the flashlight, so you can't shoot and use the flashlight at the same time. This is bound to cause plenty of frantic moments when you encounter something terrifying in the darkness and have to switch back to your weapon in a hurry.
    :eek: I can see myself dying alot when this happens.

Can't wait. No smelly Xbox version for me. PC all the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Rabies
    :eek: I can see myself dying alot when this happens.

Can't wait. No smelly Xbox version for me. PC all the way :)

Yeah, i used to worry 'hmmm..is my pc up to the task of running doom 3?' But christ, if itll run on an xbox ive nothing to worry about, my pc kicks xbox's ass :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even tho they have managed to port Doom3 to the xbox, the xbox's doom3 graphics are vastly cutdown from the pc one by the looks of things, however i think that the pc version will still require a ninja pc to get it to look anyway decent moving at a good frame rate. Possibly a 2.4ghz P4 with a gig of ram and 128mb geforce wud be the minimum to running doom3 at a half-decent level?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Damm i was hoping it would be on PC only

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's just something about playing a fps on a joypad just doesn't go together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    there's just something about playing a fps on a joypad just doesn't go together

yeah, the analogue sticks aren't as quick as a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Theres something about playing a fps on a joypad while stretched back on a comfy leather sofa watching the action on a 8ft projected screen that just does go together ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Bluehair
    Theres something about playing a fps on a joypad while stretched back on a comfy leather sofa watching the action on a 8ft projected screen that just does go together ;)

quiet you!

I always wanted a projector...pretty expensive though...is the picture quality any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I can do the same, so meh!

Doom3 on xbox hardware sounds good to me. Of course I'll be playing it with the x800xt :D

PS. What pj do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually its a mates - Panasonic PTae500. Really superb bit of kit. Am in the middle of moving house at the mo myself but will be putting together a similar setup for the games room.

Tbh expence wise I reckon I've saved a fortune not upgrading every year not to mention the hassle/time trying to stay on top of the drivers/os problems etc. etc.

Bar the odd rts I've split my gaming off the pc years ago and never looked back. Was realising that I was prob spending more time 'fixing'(ie upgrading/downloading patchs,drivers etc/re-installing) the pc than playing the games.

Plus it rocks having a few mates round to have some beers in comfort while playing games on the big-screen, no worries about crashes or whatever. The controller issue is a small sacrifice imho. :)

(edited to add; this is the projector here http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=123116&cks=PRL pretty reasonable if u ask me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Nice pj! It's great having 1 metre sized split screen to yourself :) Halo rocks. Dead or Alive 3 is a great 4 player bash too.

Need more 4 player games though, xbox should really focus on that. Might as well make use of the 4 gameports. Hopefully doom3 will have a splitscreen option too. 4 player please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Gonzo
    even tho they have managed to port Doom3 to the xbox, the xbox's doom3 graphics are vastly cutdown from the pc one by the looks of things, however i think that the pc version will still require a ninja pc to get it to look anyway decent moving at a good frame rate. Possibly a 2.4ghz P4 with a gig of ram and 128mb geforce wud be the minimum to running doom3 at a half-decent level?
    I have 2.8ghz, 1gb ram and 128mb geforce. should be sorted when it comes out at the end of the year.

The xbox version looks very good for a console. Although to get the full benifit out of the multiplayer you need BB :(
    Really looking forward to this game, more than HL2.

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Need more 4 player games though, xbox should really focus on that. Might as well make use of the 4 gameports. Hopefully doom3 will have a splitscreen option too. 4 player please :D
    If you read the article in the link you would have seen that it will not be split screen. The xbox is running at full power to even run the game.

The Xbox version will be the only version of the game to support cooperative play, and the game will support up to two players over Xbox Live or a system link. There will be no split-screen multiplayer, because Hollenshead says that the Xbox is already being pushed to its limits to render a single screen. The game will support up to four players in multiplay over Xbox Live and system link, and the game will ship with five multiplayer maps. Hollenshead says they're not trying to break any new ground, but he did promise something fun and uniquely Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Blam!!!
    who cares anyway Half life 2 (and potentially S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) are the ones to be lookin' at for my money.
    sure, doom 3 'll be all purdy and stuff but essentially it's probably gonna be a mindless blasstathon with a story pegged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Originally posted by hairball
    Blam!!!
    who cares anyway Half life 2 (and potentially S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) are the ones to be lookin' at for my money.
    sure, doom 3 'll be all purdy and stuff but essentially it's probably gonna be a mindless blasstathon with a story pegged on.

be carefull with your words hairball, the publicity around half life 2 is huge etc. you can read a games magazine without hearing about hl2, but all the while in the background id are surely working away at doom3 and i think that since there is less publicity they are surley making more improvements rather than making more vidoes and posting up screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I agree valve are takin' the piss wih the release of half life and the nigh on direct sponshorship shenanigans of ATI and valve sickens me (even tho I have a 9800 pro),
    but If they follow the pedigree of the first game ,and from what I've seen it looks like that's a strong possibility, then that'll be a sure contender for my game of the Year.
    I also think that Far Cry may have stolen a wee bit of thunder from HL2.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Another big title that's been kept relatively quiet is a sequel to another largely excellent game Halo 2.. again I'd have to say I'm lookin' forward to that more than doom 3 and as you mentioned per the doom development ppl, Bungie are quietly Beavering away and bar the odd screenshot ain't giving too much away...intriguing year ahead at the very least:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

hell yeah :D i thought you were writing id off there for a min but it will be a good gaming year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

it will be a good gaming year

Which bloody year will it be though?

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hopefully the co-op play on two xbox's will be as good as if not better than Halo's.
    not even going to ponder upgrading the pc until hl2 or doom 3 comes out.

Advertisement