Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car

Options
  • 05-05-2004 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭

Anybody here have any experiences with the Series 1 Peugeot 106?
    I'm looking for a cheap first car and I found some cheap ones that are NCT'd in the Buy And Sell. Also, anybody know how much insurance would be on the 1 litre model?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Not sure about the car but your insurance depends on your age and experience.

Im 24, its my first year driving and Im paying about 2,400 with Quinn Direct. The size of the engine wasnt really taken into account - Im driving a 1.3 Colt but the premium was the same for a 1.1, 1.2 or 1.4. However a 1L might be slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I know age affects your premium but I thought they would have taken engine size into consideration, too. Doesn't really help that I'm 17. Ah well, I asked my dad could i go on his insurance and he said yes, can get me going for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're going to bend you over and utterly ride you at 17, whether you're on your dad's insurance or not.

I know. :(

You'll be screwed no matter when you start so if you can afford Id start as early as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

goto that insurance website www.123.ie ,

you can put in your details and they will obtain a quote from a few insurance providers , should prove handy

one thing to note about the peugeot 106 , the pedals are REALLY REALLY close togeter , so much so that i had great difficulty driving my mates,

if your in any way bigger than a dwarf then try them out first , it's the worst feature about such a good car

hope this helps

Fionn

Dont worry if that www.123.ie site doesnt return any quotoes to you - it didnt return any quotes to me anyway! Just ring up the insurance companies themselves - I found it mush better to talk to them over the phone.

Thanks for all the help. I need to get my provisional first, I think I'm getting carried away with myself, looking at new headunits and amps and the like, before i have my car, let alone provisional. Oh well, everyone goes through this phase, don't they? :confused:

edit: If i do goto buy the car from someone privatley, I presume its not as easy as hand over the money and drive off. Do i need to get forms or the previous owner? If so, which I suspect i do, what forms do i need to get?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

All you have to do is fill out the form on the back of the tax book:D

Sounds too easy to be true, but I'll trust you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I have a 106 at the minute great wee first time car I will be getting rid of it within the month and going for something bigger but I would recommend them as a first car. As was said the pedals are very close together but you will get used to it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

The pedals are real close together. If you have size 10s, you will struggle. I nearly destroyed my neighbourhood moving a friends one when my foot got caught under the brake thus holding the throttle flat to the floor. She never had any problem with the car itself, and its still going strong since 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

You would be as well to apply for your full licence now as their is a waiting list nation wide also the way you drive on your test you will never drive like that again. usually people fail on bad habbits rather than inexperience.
    If you are buying a car more than 5 years old you are as well to get it private and pay an AA guy to check it out. Also a Japanese model are easyier in the long run cause parts are much more easy to get in breakers yard. I had an import micra for 4 years not very pretty but no hassle at all.
    look in www.cbg.ie

Looks like I wont be getting the car anytime soon. I asked for extra shifts in work, and I didn't get them, and at th moment im not getting enough to pay for Insurance, let alone the car. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

heh, your insurance is likely to cost far more than the car is worth.

Advertisement