Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed please - 6600 e-mail attachment problem !

Options
  • 05-05-2004 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I got my 6600 last week and have it set up now with the mms settings and gprs settings etc...

And now I have my e-mail set up on it - works grand BUT - I have a program on my pc that my mate sent me - its a small program - 21.8 KB....

I don't have a bluetooth thing to send it from my pc to my 6600 - so he said to e-mail it to my-self then open the attachment on my 6600......

Sounds simple enough, but I get as far as going in to the e-mail and seeing the attachment - but I can't select it....

The only options I get are "back" or "inbox" .

What am I doing wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - has it an .sis extension on it? (in case it is sipped or something)

also is the full email being taken downloaded not just the headers / text content, not sure how 'advanced' the internal mail client has got on the 6600 - other handsets/3rd party apps can leave any attachments behind unless set to download them...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Just Do it ?

Hi DubWireless,

Yeah its a sis file - but anyway I think I know the problem.....

I was reading trough the thread by Celticwarrior "Meteor and Nokia 6600" with my mate...

And realized it must be something to do with me just having a pay as you go 085 sim......That meteor don't have it set up for the pay as you go sim's !!!

My mate said you can't get on to the proper net on the sim I have ( pay as you go ) - he said I only get the WAP net on the 6600 !

it sounds like you were using your WAP browser to read your email this just formats the text of the message to display on WAP pages

the phone has a 'real' email client which can handle attachments and you can set up to connect to a POP/IMAP email account, but it needs an ISP/Internet connection not a WAP connection to work, as you are on pre-pay you've seen this isn't currently available to you on GPRS

however, you could use a dial-up connection for the purposes of checking your e-mail with the built-in email client - so once you enter in you POP email account details you can dial up that ISP

O2 and Voda both have a dial-up (not GPRS) Mobile ISP where you get an 'on network' call rate, haven't seen this service listed by Meteor though will drop them an email to check...

you just have to bear in mind that the connection will be quite slow, and you are billed at the appropriate rate for the number you dial...

if you don't have settings from a dial-up ISP account you use at home, you could try with one like eircom.net free. if you don't know how to set this up post back and i'll list the settings

BrianG

mmmmmmm - I think I might just get a contract phone with o2 or Vodafone :dunno:

Well to get the sim anyway and just sell on the phone !

The dial-up connection seems to a bit to much hassle for me at the moment - but a great idea ;) ...

I just wanted to use the file my mate sent me <snip> .... :D

My mate was also saying (today) that that program wouldn't work with my pre-pay account anyway that it would have to be a bill sim !

So what do ya think ? - Will I go for the contract option and also what network would be better ?

I might aswell just get a contract sim - for more freedom and flexibility on my 6600 !

Cheers DubWireless - :)

wouldn't matter if it was bill or pre-pay, it appears to work over GPRS or CSD (Dial-Up), however not sure if it would be legal to use that application here though...

choosing an operator and tariff is a very personal thing, look at what numbers you call (if you call one particular operator more than others) and when during an average month, also any add-ons that would be good for you (like extra text messages) - then you should be able to make a choice

bear in mind as yet only Meteor support MMS and WAP GPRS with this handset, currently O2 and Vodafone don't (but will at some stage)...

BrianG

• Advertisement

Ok DubWireless - Thanks alot for your help - ;)

Advertisement