Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car registration -dodgy garage man

Options
  • 05-05-2004 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I bought a Toyota Starlet in January this year and haven't received my car tax book yet. I have been patient let's say, i have been friendly and tried to come to a solution in a very diplomatic way. Luckily i don't need this car as this car was just purchased for driving practice.

I bought this car from a 'company' called 'The Clutch centre' in rathfarnham dublin 16.
    There was a man there called Erik Doyle which sold me the car for 350 euro, i know i know cheap car, but that doesnt matter does it ? I specificly asked if it had all the paperwork on which he replied 'yes' i paid the man and since then....zip.
    I have been calling every week to get that sorted out and...zip just weak excuses and nothing but avoiding the truth.

I am getting tired of the whole thing and want to move on this was my first ever car i bought and lessons are learned (i hope) it's 350 euro down the drain but i just don't know what i can do about this ? i called the cops to ask what my rights are and they just brushed it aside and told me to contact a lawyer, but will a lawyer not cost me more than this 350 ? I dont have a proof that i actually 'paid' for the car other then a witness and the car stands in my frontgarden the last 5 months. He can't claim it stolen since he has never reported that. (btw i did pay)

Now the there have been several potential buyers at my door to buy this car but everytime i tell them that i dont want to burden them with a sale of a unregistered car which they dont seem to mind so much, one even said that he has contacts with garages that could provide him with these papers (?!) Others were just interrested in parts (as if). Is that allowed for me to sell this car with the full knowledge i dont own that car on paper ? I mean if i can , i will but i dont wanne end up in another problem just because i want to end one. (whose to say they dont end up driving the thing and killing somebody with it and somehow comes back to me?)

whats the best possible way to end this misery of a first time buyer ? how do i despose of this car legaly ? Can i do anything to this man who sold me this car ?
    anyone selling a cheap car ?

help is welcome !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the cops are'nt interested I'd try the Motor Tax Office for advice.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

thanks for the tip
    i have called the motor reg office and they will send me some paperwork that i need to fill in have it signed by a solicitor and send back and the car is mine !
    strange that it can be done so easily....

now anyone knows a good garage around dublin 15 without scamming scumbags?

Originally posted by Wook
    thanks for the tip
    i have called the motor reg office and they will send me some paperwork that i need to fill in have it signed by a solicitor and send back and the car is mine !

No worries :) Pity the cops could'nt tell you that!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by Wook
    thanks for the tip

And if you can't get a solicitor to do it, I think a Court Clerk can do it.

What the M.T.O. sent you is a legal affidavit and can/will be produced as evidence if ownership of the vehicle is ever disputed. They (the M.T.O.) just don't publicise it very much. They probably sent you an RF134 form to get stamped at your local Garda Station to declare that you do not have the tax book in your possesion too.

If it were reported stolen at anytime before you finally have it changed to your name, the M.T.O. *won't* change it to your name, regardless of what documentation you have. You'd probably have to go through a solictor then. But if you've already queried it with the M.T.O., they probably would have told you if it was reported stolen so you're probably okay in that regard.

Tommy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Tommyk certainly knows his stuff with regard to his matter.
    I presume he has to swear an affidavid (sp?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Yamad Kuntya

is it costing you a few squid ?? all your getting is replacement documents and any cop worth a **** should have told you that .. useless muppets .. good luck with all the mess anyhoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

this could be an insurance write off with minor damage because of age and the bloke who sold it to u might have fixed it up with parts from a breakers yard and sold it on hence no paperwork.

just a thought i could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

does a starlet with a corrola engine pass NCT or does it need to have the original engine ?

I'm open to correction but I belive that if a new engine is installed which is diff in power/capacity the car will have to be re-registered. Another phone call to the Motor Tax Office I suspect! Your insurance company will need to know as well. Once thats sorted the NCT can be carried out as normal.

Mike.

Advertisement