Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you be able to vote at 16

Options
  • 06-05-2004 9:50am

A new survey of 1000 15-17 year olds carried out by the national youth foundation showed that 90% of respondents couldn't name an MEP and only 50% could name their local TD

Story here , there was also a piece on morning Ireland this morning discussing the poll.
    Is it time, that a course on politics was made compulsary at least for the leaving cert and preferably also for the junior cert?
    I would tend to agree with the education idea, but at the same time, I recognise that those who feel strongly enough to do so, can usually find where to express their frustration on a ballot paper.
    Discuss.

Should the voting age be dropped to 16? 55 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no (State reasons)
    16% 9 votes
    only if there is a compulsary politics course in Schools
    63% 35 votes
    atari jaguar
    20% 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well I have a 16 year old, and though I discuss politics while she’s in the room, she still knows sfa about it, probably cos I spend most of my time bitching about Bush, so she knows more about American politics than Irish, I imagine that it would be ok to lower it to 16 as the only ones who would bother voting are those who have a real interest, I don't see the harm in it tbh.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The line needs to be drawn somewhere. My experience is that 18-year-olds are at the early edge of the maturity level required to make this kind of decision. At 16, there is neither the maturity nor the real-world experience to contribute to a decision that affects everyone's lives.

IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

To be fair I know little about Irish politics other than what is blatently obvious to someone my age trying to live in this country.

I keep an eye on US politics because I'm looking a bit towards the future and, well, frankly its more entertaining. ;)

Seriously though, its a bit grey to me, I know there are plenty of 16 year olds out there far more informed about politics than I am, so on that sense I think age is a bit of a silly thing to go by.

What is important is that 16 year olds don't have too many alterations to their lifestyle as a consequence of the government. The brunt of these things, even the ones that are related to 16 year olds, are felt by the parents or guardians.

So even though I'm a political dunce, I can and will vote based on how the government in question effects my lifestyle as a worker, earning a wage, paying a mortgage/rent etc etc.

I would be in favour of worker-vote entitlement for those who leave school to enter a trade or profession before 18 as again, voting is something that is likely to directly effect them.

I've a cold and I ramble when I'm sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd prefer to see the voting entitlement stay at 18 years old.

While many 16 year olds have knowlege of the political system and mature opinions, a significantly larger percentage of them don't when compared to the 18 year old age group.

Also, I don't feel that giving younger people a vote is a good solution to political apathy.

Adding a course on 'politics' to the Leaving Cert course, while an admirable idea, does cause instant problems for students who already have heavy workloads. With the exception of physical education and career guidance classes I found all my non academic material an unnecessary encumbrance and in general grew to despise it. I think the Junior Cert already addresses this as part of the CSPE (Civic, Social and Political Education) course which is compulsory.

Perhaps making them read the Irish Times, the Phoenix, Private Eye and watch Have I Got News for you might be the best solution. ;)

The majority of 16 year olds are still living at home. They're not responsible for themselves, and thus, are not responsible enough to make judgements that involve the running of the State. When they start paying taxes, and are legally responsible for their actions, thats when they should have the right to vote (18). Definetly not before.

As for Irish Politics, I know more abt International Politics than i do Irish Politics, simply because its the same crap year after year. Still, I continue to vote at referendums.

Base line. If you're under the roof of yur parents, if you're not contributing to the country as a worker/taxes, you should have no involvement in voting. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

No.

some may know alot, maybe more than you or I, but from my experience alot know very little, or just dont care at all.
    I dont mean to make a general statement, but in my experience, that age group is rife with RA heads who listen to Wolfe Tones as gospel.

Flogen

Adding a course on 'politics' to the Leaving Cert course, while an admirable idea, does cause instant problems for students who already have heavy workloads.

I must admit i can't see the point of such a course. What would they learn? Irish Politics - Number of investigations into corruption, the number of crap politicians, the changes in opinions etc.

All I can see such a course doing would make them disillusioned quicker than normal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No. The problem isn't that young people feel unable to vote - it's that they just don't care about the vote. The successive governments (which is, frankly, the same one) are quite faceless and nothing seems to ever really change (we don't do exciting things like invade countries). The only way to really associate anything with the government is when something mildly interesting happens - like a corruption scandal.

I think what's needed is to actually really get across the concept of a vote making an actual difference and not lowering the voting age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

No. I think that when I was 16 (I am now 24), I would have said "Yes". But that was before I studied economics and business-organisation for my Leaving-Cert, and that revolutionised my political outlook. Before then, I believed the claptrap that companies are better providers of goods and services when they are state-owned monopolies where people have no choice over what company provides the service. Learning these two subjects woke me up totally on that. As such, I feel that had I had the vote at 16, I would have definitely made the wrong decision in elections. Leave the age at 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No - as most 16 year olds can't be counted upon to bring home the right bread....(there's logic in there somewhere)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No. In fact, I think it should have been left at 21 or maybe lowered to 20. It's really only at that age that people begin to properly mature and start to have an understanding of the world around them, along with starting to 'firm up' on the general ideas that they believe in.

Lowering the voting age would serve no useful purpose and may have many disadvantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

i don't see why you should have to be 18 to pick a criminal to control the country.

i think we should ban everyone from voting

except 16-18 yr olds

they seem to know it all anyway...........

Is it time, that a course on politics was made compulsary at least for the leaving cert and preferably also for the junior cert?

No f*cking way, we all ready shove enough useless sh&te down their throats without adding more.

We should be looking towards ways of keeping kids in school making it more enjoyable to learn things they might actually want to learn/need/use in the real world.

not feeding them crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No f*cking way, we all ready shove enough useless sh&te down their throats without adding more.

Some political education would probably go a lot further and make more of a difference than some of the subjects taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I dont think 16 is old enough.

How many 16 year olds show real interest in politics. Heck let them concentrate on more imoprtant matters like getting their leaving certificate.

Then again how many 18+ year olds have any interest in irish politics. We seem to spend more time talking about internation affairs rather than our own

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by klaz
    The majority of 16 year olds are still living at home. They're not responsible for themselves, and thus, are not responsible enough to make judgements that involve the running of the State. .

You are joking right? In my experience down here most 20 to 30 year old still live at home. If having your own gaff was a requirement to vote we would have a lot less registered voters.

Although I can see the problem I think it would be good to somehow introduce politics into the school system. I know that there is plenty of work as it is but some kind of civic awareness/political awareness, I feel would be most beneficial. I think if 16 year old were given a vote, in conjunction with being given a better understanding what their vote is for and why it is important, it would benefit society as a whole.

I think that short term the benefits might be small, but in the long term we would see an increasingly politically aware population. Most of them would be young and would hopefully have a different idea of what makes a good politician (it seems to me that people in Ireland seem to think that someone who bends or breaks the law and gets away with it is good). It might also increase the number of younger people getting into politics.

All in all I think it would be good for the country.

MrP

You are joking right? In my experience down here most 20 to 30 year old still live at home. If having your own gaff was a requirement to vote we would have a lot less registered voters.

Actually, i was talking about the responsibility that goes with having a job, being capable of being tried as an adult in a court of law, and the payment of taxes. If they're not supplying any of those conditions, I don't think they have the "right" to vote. They're not members as such yet. Their parents are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by MrPudding
    If having your own gaff was a requirement to vote we would have a lot less registered voters.

yes yes, only the land owning gentry class should be given the right to vote, while the peaseant class shine boots and tend to the crops.:D

alot of 16 year old know a good bit about politics, but alot m,ore don't and could easily be roped in by various parties using tricks. like say legalising weed (not that its a bad thing)

My point is that teenage years are for reading papers and learning in life and develoiping views. So that by the time you are 18 you can say what you door do not agree with.

As for having a Politics course it would be a good idea, the CSPE couse should bew developed in transition year, in order to give teenagers (not talking down to u guys , i'm 19) a holistic viewof their role in society. Call it a "Social Knowledge Couse".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

16 ?
    Let them vote at 14!
    Teenagers are much less likely to vote 'traditionally' than older people.
    In my experience, many 'mature' people use their vote for one of 2 reasons:

- My parents/in-laws/husband/wife/friends have voted FF/FG/Whatever since 1922 and I'm not going to change now

- Mickey Joe there is a grand fella, lets vote for him

Teenagers might just display enough independant thought to use their vote based on issues.

Many middle aged people to older people float along on the basis that they did their thinking 30 years ago and aren't going to rethink now, as though admitting they were wrong in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by Gurgle
    Let them vote at 14!
    Teenagers are much less likely to vote 'traditionally' than older people.

Yes what a brilliant reason!! I see you really give a shit!

Originally posted by Superman
    Yes what a brilliant reason!! I see you really give a ****!
    And us adults are doing such a great job of electing "leaders".

IMHO, its a damn good reason.

I think, then vote.
    That puts me one up on damn near everyone else.

We elect people but its parties that win or lose. The person you voted for will, in most situations have no say in how his vote is used in the Dail, thats decided by the party leadership.

We're not even told what the party is planning to do once they are in.

Examples:
    Did you hear anything about the smoking ban in the last general elections ?

Was there any mention of whether Ireland would support the "liberation" of the middle east ?

How much difference does it make what party does the 95% paper-pushing part of government ?

Its the other 5% we (the people) should be consulted on, but are not.

Fact is, teenagers do have and are entitled to an opinion.

We, who should know better, sell our votes for lower income tax and end up paying just as much tax in different ways.

Why shouldn't elections be won on lost on actual issues ?

• Advertisement

A
    Agreed, but below 16 how well informed are those opinions compared with your average adult?
    What emotional and un reasoned ideas might be floating through many of their heads?
    After 16 they mightn't be too well informed/experienced either or after 40 for that matter.
    But you are far more likely to get a better decision out of an adult that out of a fourteen year old.
    I'd have thought that was a given.

True enough, but its us adults that face the consequences of the voting. we're the ones that lose to tax raises, benchmarking, rip-off ireland etc.

Teenagers might have some good ideas, but their idea's would have no real affect on them. Their decisions would affect everyone over the age of 18 though.

They're entitled to an opinion. A vote on the other hand, they're not.
    We, who should know better, sell our votes for lower income tax and end up paying just as much tax in different ways.

Aye, but we're the ones that pay for the running of the country, and face the pain should the government that was voted in ****s up.

I'll never vote to allow under 18's the ability to vote, unless they lower the age limit for adult offenses, and also start taxing teenagers. Until, they have a real stake in the success or failure of the country, they can continue to sit on the sidelines with their opinions.

IMHO, its a damn good reason.
    Let me see if I've read you correctly: the governments elected by adults have left something to be desired, ergo a government elected by children must necessarily be superior?

Methinks someone needs a level 3 diagnostic on their logic circuits...
    I think, then vote.
    I'm impressed by your humility, if nothing else.

Tell me: what percentage of "everyone else" did you canvass to arrive at this conclusion? What percentage of your survey sample counts as "damn near everyone"?
    We elect people but its parties that win or lose. The person you voted for will, in most situations have no say in how his vote is used in the Dail, thats decided by the party leadership.
    That's a completely different issue - and one on which we're agreed - but I don't see how allowing children to vote would have a bearing on it.

I'll never vote to allow under 18's the ability to vote, unless they lower the age limit for adult offenses, and also start taxing teenagers. Until, they have a real stake in the success or failure of the country, they can continue to sit on the sidelines with their opinions.
    I think it's safest to avoid confusing the concepts of taxation and suffrage (Boston Tea Parties notwithstanding). I've been paying income tax - continuously - since I was sixteen. Many adults don't pay tax (for various different reasons). Keep the issues separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

And allowing minors to vote will change this, how?
    Why shouldn't elections be won on lost on actual issues ?

They should be. But again, how does giving minor's a vote bring this about?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Until, they have a real stake in the success or failure of the country, they can continue to sit on the sidelines with their opinions.

As OscarBravo has pointed out, having a stake in your country is not down to whether you pay tax or not. 16 year olds clearly do have a stake in the future of the country.

I'm tempted to take the opposite tack to some people posting here and say that 16 year olds should be allowed vote precisely because they're not job-holding, home-owning people. Because they're not in the position of having all these individual interests to protect, they should be able to take a wider view of what's good for society as a whole. With less to conserve, they may even be less conservative.

Keep the issues separate.

Oscar, Do you understand where i'm coming from though?

i.e. Until Teenagers face the consequences of Voting, I don't believe that they should have the right to vote. As things stand their parents take the brunt of most consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

i.e. Until Teenagers face the consequences of Voting, I don't believe that they should have the right to vote. As things stand their parents take the brunt of most consequences.

Won't younger people by definition be facing the consequences for longer than us older people? Since very old people won't be 'facing the consequences' for much longer, should we take away their vote, as otherwise they'll only use it irresonsibly?

Originally posted by shotamoose
    With less to conserve, they may even be less conservative.
    I think I was trying to say something along those lines in the first place.
    Originally posted by bonkey
    They should be. But again, how does giving minor's a vote bring this about?
    From vague memories of being 16, I think my vote would have been won more on issues than personalities/parties.

IMHO, the voters of Ireland are too conservative.
    Teenagers, in the process of rebelling are likely to be anti-conservative.

This could possibly lead to a balance, enabling political progress rather than the current status-quo.

quote:
    I think, then vote.

OK, I withdraw that bit!
    Though I have spoken to quite a lot of people who were determined to vote a particular way but would/could not give any reasons.

Originally posted by oscarbravo
    Let me see if I've read you correctly: the governments elected by adults have left something to be desired, ergo a government elected by children must necessarily be superior?
    I dare you to go to a lecture room full of 1st year engineers and announce that everyone there under 18 is a child and that their opinions should be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think I was trying to say something along those lines in the first place.

I would rephrase it and say that its not that the youth are more conservative...I'd see them as more "anti-establishment".

From vague memories of being 16, I think my vote would have been won more on issues than personalities/parties.
    So what are you saying? Now you have the vote, you no longer vote regarding issues? Why not? And if you think letting 16 year olds do this is the solution, is an equal solution not to recognise the failings in your own voting style and revert to what you're saying is a better option?

Teenagers, in the process of rebelling are likely to be anti-conservative.
    Rebelling is "anti-system", not "anti-conservative". They're just as anti-liberal as anti-conservative.

This could possibly lead to a balance, enabling political progress rather than the current status-quo.
    How? How do these people make up such a large voting block that they would lead to such a balance?

And more importantly....what possible reason do you have to believe that this "anti-conservatism" only lasts until they are 18? Because thats implicit in the assumption that we need them to add a missing element. If 18-year-olds were still anti-conservative, they too would be able to provide some of this balance....but where is that in evidence? Its not.

I dare you to go to a lecture room full of 1st year engineers and announce that everyone there under 18 is a child and that their opinions should be ignored.
    I dare you to go into a secondary school and tell it to the first years there. I'm pretty sure you'll get the same reaction. Does that mean that secondary school attendees are all adults as well????

jc

Advertisement