Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account of first night in the Fitz

Options
  • 06-05-2004 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Have being looking around here for a while now, was tring to work up the nerve to go to the Fitz for a while now and finally got around to it last night.

I have to say I didn't feel as intimated as I expected I would, the staff were very friendly and helpful even telling me it was a good night to 'ave a go'

Got there way too early (lesson learnt) but finally got sitting down, only to have Norman I think go all-in straight away, that was me keeping quite for a while...

I won a few pots easy early on and the 'shakes' started. Not really knowing how the night actually worked i.e. when you were really on your own etc, meant a few stupid questions but hey you gotta ask sometimes, (maybe a tiny explanation somewhere would be nice for newbie's like myself)

At the break I had a few chips and decided to top-up just to make sure the night wouldn't end up too early. The tables kept being chopped and moved which is all part of a tournament but this was the most distracting thing I think as well.

Guys who were definitely 'regulars' were falling which kinda bolstered my faith a little, but beginners luck does count for a lot.

At some point then when the blinds went 500-1000 I started losing concentration ended up pissing off the dealer by total mistake, he didn't take my apology all that well in my estimation but hey.

Kept in there and by the time the final table was set I was still there (nobody more surprised than myself) in fact until they announced the prize fund I didn't really realize I was in with any shout at all.

I was probably the 2nd smallest stack, the shortest being a lady who I didn't catch her name. I won one all-in and got some chips though still 2nd or 3rd smallest stack still. The short stack was first to leave.

Then the blinds went mad 1000-2000 and seen as I only had 5000ish when I had big blind I went all-in against a all-in pre flop move, I have A5o and he had A9o. He won and I walked.

All in all great fun and good value as far as I was concerned.

So if you're thinking about just heading along on spec like I did I fully recommend it, it's not as scary as you might think.

BTW I hope I didn't piss off anyone other than the dealer.....

Regards,
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by cmnolan
    At some point then when the blinds went 500-1000 I started losing concentration ended up pissing off the dealer by total mistake, he didn't take my apology all that well in my estimation but hey.
    Regards,
    Conor
    What did you do exactly to piss off the dealer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cmnolan

I threw my cards in face up, by mistake.

No one else seemed to pass any heed, but he definably took offence.

I was a honest mistake (I swear)

/C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

People are always doing that by mistake. That dealer needs to take the stick out of his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Happens all the time that when someone throws in their cards one will turn face up. No reason for the dealer to get annoyed with you.
    Which dealer was it? Did he say anything in particular?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This may sound weird - and no its not a chat up - but are you blonde?

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Wouldn't worry about the dealer at all. He was just in bad form and took it out on you. You did really well to make the final table first time out. The first time I played I got aces and nearly hit the dealer with my chips I was shaking so much. It gets easier (not to get in the money mind). Well done.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well done! Making the final table first time out is an achievement... It was Norman if he had a head like a cue ball and a laugh like one of D'Unbeliveables :)

Ignore the dealer though you shouldnt turn cards up while a game is still ongoing as it gives people information, thats why he's annoyed with you. All the same he should have realised it was your first time... hell I've done that before and they havent been that bent out of shape!

DeV.

Advertisement