Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain redirecting

Options
  • 06-05-2004 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hello there.

I have created a web site for a friend of mine and I am now looking to get a domain name for him and some web space to upload the site.
    This is the first time i have done this so i have been looking around at the different providers to see where i can get the cheapest .ie domain and host.
    This is a small site for a local politician so no fancy stuff required and most of all NO ADS!!!
    I read somewhere you could use free web space from a provider (like Eircom) then do a domain redirect and send users to this space therefore saving on the costs of a host. Can this be done for free? If so where please?

Apart from Eircom, who else provides free web space without ads? Direct links would be great.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Hi most providers will re-direct your domain for free after you have purchased the domain off them.

Have a look at http://www.freehost.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 marielle

Hi, thanks for the reply

I have seen these guys but they ask 114€ for the .ie domain or even the same price to just transfer the domain to them which is rather steep.

I'm just looking for 20 MB of space, and the cheapest .ie possible with free redirecting to a free host.

I know that's a lot of "free" but money is a factor....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

For cheaper .ie's have a look at www.blacknightsolutions.com or www.alwaysamber.ie. My recommendation is BK, alwaysamber don't charge VAT which makes me suspicious (even if it is all legit), and also rules me out as a business customer. Besicdes if you're getting hosting with BK too, the domain still works out cheaper than with alwaysamber.

HTH

.cg

Alwaysamber dont pay VAT as they are billed by the IEDR to their Budapest office, so been outside the EU its VAT exempt.
    Besicdes if you're getting hosting with BK too, the domain still works out cheaper than with alwaysamber.

He already said he wants free hosting with Eircom so Blacknights prices would be €55 + VAT = €66.55.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Sposs
    Alwaysamber dont pay VAT as they are billed by the IEDR to their Budapest office, so been outside the EU its VAT exempt.
    Yeah, I know the reason, but that still makes me suspicious. Anyhow, I don't want to drag it more off-topic.
    Originally posted by Sposs
    He already said he wants free hosting with Eircom so Blacknights prices would be €55 + VAT = €66.55.
    Missed that, sorry, but you're right. If the politician has a means of claiming VAT back, then BK would still be cheaper (aside from being more contributory to the Irish economy). If not then, yes, alwaysamber would be cheaper.

.cg

• Advertisement

The price of the domain is important but mostly i want to be sure that if i register the domain with one crowd because they are cheaper, ( blacknight or alwaysamber) i won't have to pay ridiculous amounts for forwarding the domain to a different host or to use a redirect to a free host.
    btw, do you know if Eircom do free redirecting?
    Also, I have been trying to find other free ISPs who would give free web space but i seem to always come back to Eircom. Are there actually others?

http://frostyhost.com/

Heres a link to a company who offer free hosting aldo there based in America, also try

http://www.webhostingtalk.com im sure you'll find more free hosting providers there.

another little question. Are there such things as shareware ftp programs cause Eircoms program is messy and slow. I was just wondering if i could use something else than theirs.
    I tried to use explorer and could access the folders and the option to publish to the web was there but when it came to copying the files, "problems were encountered" and I could not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Marielle

Have a look on http://www.tucows.com There are plenty of FTP clients that are either freeware, shareware or adware. You should be able to find one that suits your needs.

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Michele, you better change your marketing statements to

Ireland's lowest cost .ie domains with VAT. :p

just kidding ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement