Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sunny roofies

Options
  • 06-05-2004 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I'm p!ssed off having the drivers window down when i'm smoking in the car, so i've decided to invest in a sunroof and use the vacumn effect it creates ,

Now a mate of mine got his done for around a 100 euro , but the shop is no longer in existence ,

I've phoned for a few quotes and got ridiculous (see also F'ing ridiculous) prices of 280 euros and 360 euros , for a bleeding manual tilt and slide sunroof !!!

such a rip off , does anyone have any experience in getting this done or know of somewhere decent that does them at a reasonable price ? i say reasonable , it doesn't have to be bargain of the century .

else i'll drill a hole in the roof , stick the smoke through that , and have a pipe leading to my mouth , police checkpoints will never be so much fun

hope it doesn't rain ,

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Fionn101
    else i'll drill a hole in the roof , stick the smoke through that , and have a pipe leading to my mouth , police checkpoints will never be so much fun
    If this is about the smoking ban it only applies to commerical vehicles, not private vehicles. If you are driving a commerical vehicle you can still be fined even if you have sunroof or window open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Its a bad job in my experience, very prone to leaking, I'd advise against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

nah nothing to do with the smoking ban, cheer though ,
    i would rather have teh sunroof open to take out the smoke then the drivers window is all ,

i find it's so loud having the drivers window open , especially on the m50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

2 step guide
    1. Sell car
    2. Buy car with sunroof

gurgle, stop being so stupid, it wasn't even funny

where's the humour ??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Now a mate of mine got his done for around a 100 euro , but the shop is no longer in existence ,

I've phoned for a few quotes and got ridiculous (see also F'ing ridiculous) prices of 280 euros and 360 euros , for a bleeding manual tilt and slide sunroof !!!

The only thing you will get for €100 is someone with an angle grinder cutting a hole in your roof and giving you a roll of cellophane to colse your 'sunroof'.
    Aftermarket sunroofs are always bad - never heard of a good conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Very dodgy installing a sunroof in a car as in hard-top cars the roof plays an integral part to the structure. Convertibles are reinforced in other areas to compensate for this.

sound advice , cheers kbannon / duke dredd

suppose i'll have to go look at the other blokes car and see how that went ,

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I have a sunroof and I still roll the window down. Doesn't work m8! Negative pressure or summat. As everyone said aftermarket sunroofs are prone to looking crap and leaking. If you are getting wet with the window open you should get those perspex window thingies that run up the pillar and along the top of the door frame over the window. Can't for the life of me recall what the are called or describe them properly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by Calibos
    you should get those perspex window thingies that run up the pillar and along the top of the door frame over the window. Can't for the life of me recall what the are called or describe them properly! :D

they called wind deflectors. you can usually get em from aftermarket shops or direct from a main dealer. strangely there's not much difference in the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

gurgle, stop being so stupid, it wasn't even funny

Actually, wasn't really meant to be funny.
    AFAIK a non factory fitted sunroof does not work so well - leaks and draughts and stuff even when its closed.

On the other hand, a sunroof does not particulary add value to a second hand car, and it doesn't have to cost you money to change your car, just the trouble of an add in the buy and sell. Actually, if you're clever, you can end up with the same car, same year, with sunroof, and €€€ change.

Unless you're particularly attached to the wheels you have now, thats what I would do.

Especially if your car is a few years old, its not really worth spending good money on adding extras like sunroof or deflectors or whatever, just change the car for one that has what you want.

There a couple of years ago, I flogged a 96 1L Micra with no ps, sr etc and bought a 96 Rover 414i, with ps & sr. Mileage was almost the same and I had change to pay the difference in the insurance.

Aye , i see your point now ,

unfortunatley it's not worth it in my case,

the car I got was not used for 2.5 years , and before that it was rarely used,

hence I have a 95 Civic with a genuine 35k on the clock , granted i could sell that and get another 95 civic , but i'd be doing myself , cause i'm not going to get such a car with so little on the clock in such good cond. .

I reckon wind deflectors are gonna be my best bet ,

What does everyone else do when smoking in the car , do you have the air-con on or just windows open ???

Cheers

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Windows open hail rain or shine if I'm smoking. Opened varying degrees depending on conditions obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

What does everyone else do when smoking in the car , do you have the air-con on or just windows open ???

i smoke with the passnger window open and the air blowers on full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i don't smoke so i can't tell you what i'd do but i know that wind deflectors will be less than 100 to buy and you can fit em yourself in a few minutes. it's a piece of piss

Advertisement