Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEBATE: Boybands V's Real Music

Options
  • 06-05-2004 3:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so here it is the big debate on boybands. I absolutely detest all boybands for the reason that they are not real musicians and most of them are a bunch talentless air brushed idiots.

If boybands would write their own songs i probably wouldnt have that big a problem with them but all of these bands either get their songs written for them or copy somebody else's songs. They given everything on a plate and just do exactly what the record company says.

Its so annoying seeing the likes of Westlife at the top of the charts. I mean people actually buy this stuff?? the whole industry is based on looks. Can you name any dog ugly boyband members?? no didnt think so.

Why dont people start buying real music written by real musicians who wana produce some good music. So thats what i wanna say.

What do youpeople think of boybands??are they making good music and are they worthy of their place at the top of the charts??

Are boybands making good music?? 46 votes

No they are just a bunch of tossers
    0% 0 votes
    yeah, i love me boybands
    100% 46 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's called the music industry for a reason. There are hordes of unsuccessful boy and girl bands out there too, stuggling to get by. If there wasn't a demand for that shyte (albeit stimulated by relentless and shameless marketing) it wouldn't sell and it wouldn't be on the radio. It's all about the money, don't fool yourself.

Great music is out there if you really want to find it. In the same way you'll pass by 100's of McD's BK's KFC's etc etc before you find a place that serves good food.

Supply and demand, that's just the way it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

yeah your right im just amazed there is a demand!! And it amazes me someone who looks sells more than someone who doesnt.as if that has ant bearing on the song what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I disagree strongly. My mate is in a semi successful boyband who I shamelessly plugged in another topic. Anyway, he is very musically talented and the band wrote 40% of their debut album and all but one of their B-Sides. They also wrote their debut single which went to number 4 in Ireland.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Wow, I might be the only one to vote for the boybands.

Thing you must realise is that there is a music industry and a pop industry.

FOr me they are separate entities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

oh bring out te medals they wrote 40%. nothing against you or your mate but shouldnt they be writing all of it?? or maybe do one cover thats ok. Plus these guys are just styled to sell records. I wonder if they were all gothic looking fat guys with beards would they get to number 4 with the same song. I seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Kingp35
    I absolutely detest all boybands for the reason that they are not real musicians and most of them are a bunch talentless air brushed idiots.

That's a strong statement. Replace "all" with "some" and I might agree with you.

Define "real musician".

Do you consider Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra to be real musicians? And if so, why?

Not the market they are going for though is it. Lots of little girls buy singles. Little girls dont like fat goths.

They wrote forty percent of their album which is a lot more than the average boyband. The other songs were written for them by professional songwriters.

In your opinion there should be no such thing as a songwriter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The music industry is a steaming superficial turd and the recent shenanigans with The Alarm (or The Poppyfield or whatever their alias was shows it).

There is good music, there is bad music. More often than not, money is found around bad music. If you wait for the radio or TV to bring new music to you, you will generally experience plenty of bad music, real bad music.

Do you consider Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra to be real musicians? And if so, why?

No they werent because they didnt write or play music but they were terrific performers who werent styled by somebody else for the sole basis of making money.They were in it to entertai and that they did better than anyone.
    They wrote forty percent of their album which is a lot more than the average boyband. The other songs were written for them by professional songwriters.

Your right it is more than your average boyband and fair play to them but its still only 40% of whats supposed to be "their" album. Songs are written for them which i dont think is right.
    In your opinion there should be no such thing as a songwriter?

Of course there should be a song writer but that song writer should be from within the band otherwise everything is just gonna be handed to them and all they do is sing. that doesnt make you a musician

they were terrific performers who werent styled by somebody else for the sole basis of making money.

Look up Sam Philips and Tom Parker in relation to Elvis Presley.

I disagree with you in a strong way. Look at The Band. They were superb musicians who never played their own songs until ten years into their career. Is it that you consider people who play instruments in a different light to singers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

how can some1 be a professional songwriter?? does he have amazing talented great inspiration 24/7 while sitting in a room with a pen and paper,

Draupnir you said it yourself 40% is more than the normal boyband, that was kings main point.. and they should write all of it, a real proper songwriter who writes for the love of music would sing/play it himself or maybe if he couldnt get some1 else to, but not 6 songs out of a 10 song album, thats why boyband suck dick..

Originally posted by cartman
    how can some1 be a professional songwriter?? does he have amazing talented great inspiration 24/7 while sitting in a room with a pen and paper,

Buy The Last Waltz and you'll find out all you need to know about how somebody can be a professional song writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Why dont people start buying real music written by real musicians who wana produce some good music. So thats what i wanna say.

What do youpeople think of boybands??are they making good music and are they worthy of their place at the top of the charts??
    Every time I hear one of these discussions I always think of the Monkees. Who had four good songs. And one good album after they stopped being a boyband boyband.

The Beatles did a bucketload of covers on their first few albums. If I remember rightly (I may not) the Stones did something similar

Diane Warren is obviously the spawn of the devil though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Most bands are semi-boyband these days.

Hardly anyone writes their own music anymore, and their image is very carefully constructed.

If Westlife looked dirty and sang songs about banging, no one would call them a boyband.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I think people are cufusing two different thnigs here.

Some music is written from the heart, other music is written to make money. The radio stations & charts play the money making kind because they're basically in it for the money themselves. If you want the other kind then life's a bit harder because the music is harder to find, but personnaly I think it's a hell of a lot more rewarding.

It's the differnece between a battery hen and a free range one. The mass produced money-comes-first type, or the carfully produced quality-comes-first type.

So although both types are lumped under the category "music" they're really seperate things & you shouldn't get too hot & bothered about the type you don't like.

Now back to hypnotising my chickens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Good point Kobie.

I think we should should stop using the term "boy band" and just say "commercial music".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Johnny Versace

If Westlife looked dirty

Ronan keating tried that and he looked ridiculous. Doesn't go too well with plastic surgery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

music, for most people, is entertainment. boybands entertain them, they dont have to think while listening. it was the same in elvis and sinatras day. sure i dont like it one bit, but you dont have to listen to the radio or watch tv. i do neither, so i never have to hear any of that stuff. i dont go out to places where it is likely to get played, and i wear my headphones when i walk around town. whats so hard about that? you cant "force" people to like what you like, unless you have a rigged singles chart thats based on 12 year olds spending their pocket money on stuff den tv tells them to buy... yes there is one of those, but its taken right now. sorry.

i think kobie has a very good point there but it is the money making music that annoys me. It seems strange to me that the bad music that is made sells better than the good music. aAnd i still fail to see how being good ooking should effect how many records you sell. It dosnt make you sound any better and its not the like person who buys the cd is going to get anything out of it just because the guy is good looking. I find that a bit wierd and this is another reason why i dont ike boybands so much.

As i said before if westlife were fat and ugly they wouldnt have sld a quarter of what they have sold. its not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally its not boy/girls bands I dislike so much as BAD boy/girl bands.

Incidentally Van Halen started out with cover song "Pretty Woman". Its not covers I object to if they are done well. But when they are worse than the original you have to ask what the heck is the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Personally its not boy/girls bands I dislike so much as BAD boy/girl bands.

Ditto.

I more detest the fact that they are considered bands ... As far as I'm concerned that are nothing but a choir, scrupulously manufactured by the music companies on the sole basis that they have a couple of years of a shelf life and make as much money as possible in that short space of time, to the detriment of the music industry!!

I'm sure if you ask most proper band members why thay make music, I doubt many of them will say it's to sell millions of records and to make music company fat cats fatter!!

i dont mind covers if you do the odd one and you change the song around a bit its if you only do covers that annoys me.

Well tbh i consider tham all bad. I would be hard pushed to pick a "good" boyband. Post it up if you can think of one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭andrew12g

The only good boy band ever were the Jackson Five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Originally posted by Kobie
    Some music is written from the heart, other music is written to make money. The radio stations & charts play the money making kind because they're basically in it for the money themselves. If you want the other kind then life's a bit harder because the music is harder to find, but personnaly I think it's a hell of a lot more rewarding.

i agree 100%. well said.

I feel that when a band/person plays a song that they wrote they play with much more feeling, opposed to when a songwriter comes up with a perhaps beautifully arranged piece and gives to anothers person to sing it. i think it looses something in this transition. As rob thomas said from matchbox 20- i can't stand my voice tbh, but im just too proud to let anyone else sing my songs. (something along those lines)

sure, boy bands/girl bands can be fun to listen to in the car with the windows rolled down while singing at the top of ur lungs..(not that i do that or anything) but if u want to get goosebumps or feel shivers down ur spine- then u'll have to look elsewhere.

just thinking outloud~beth

Advertisement