Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking Price?

• 06-05-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting some decking out the back of my house,not the cheap stuff they do in Woodies but good Scandinavian decking.I had a chap give me the following quotes; 18x12 ft = €2100. 18x 16ft = €2600.Can anybody tell me is this the going rate or is this silly money for that size?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I know thgis won't be ,uch help but my mom sayed decking was expensive so at that price it may be whats expected.

Have you checked out the possibility of putting tiling down , its allot cheaper and can be done yourself.

sorry i can't be much help :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Originally posted by PWEI
    I'm thinking about getting some decking out the back of my house,not the cheap stuff they do in Woodies but good Scandinavian decking.I had a chap give me the following quotes; 18x12 ft = €2100. 18x 16ft = €2600.Can anybody tell me is this the going rate or is this silly money for that size?

Sounds about right. I got decking down about 2 yr ago about 12ftx15ft and it was about €2200. Also came with railing around the perimeter and a gate. It's the proper scandanavian wood, not that ribbed stuff. Get a few quotes but you won't find cheaper than that. I got mine done by Classic Decks in Naas. They will travel. see their site www.classicdecks.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds about the right price, but you wouldn't catch me spending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

I've been trying to get some decking sorted out for months. Finding a good balance of quality and cost is proving to be a nightmare.

I found one guy that was offering a very nice wood - Siberian Larch - and the price was good. However, when I questioned him on how he would lay it, he was going to nail down the boards. I'm also not convinced that the galavnised nails he was going to use would not cause "silvering" of the wood around them. The price for approx. 21.5 sq. yds. was €1750 (fitted). I've had a few other quotes in or around this price but for cheaper wood (e.g. pine or spruce).

There seems to be a next level up interms of price. I've had a couple of quotes of around €2,300 from people that I would trust to lay it properly. I'm finding that a bit pricey but not enough to make me jump for any of the cheap ones just yet.

Some of the things that I now ask...

- The wood they will use for the boards
    - The wood they will use for the sub-frame
    - The fixings (make sure they are screwing down the boards

I hope this helps but I fear I may be just dragging you into mire along with me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Yea its a big help,thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I had a guy give me a quote yesterday for the same size, 18x16 with a railing for
    €2000.The only difference was that they were nailed down instead of screwed. Does it make much difference I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nail isn't as good as screw - screws have better grip. If I was doing it, I'd screw it or bolt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

depends.....if they use ring shank nails, they will be as good as screws. Mine were all nailed in and haven't moved a mm in the last 3 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Does anybody have recommendations for a good/reputable decking company. I'm looking for a price for a 16x11 deck.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lemo wrote:

Some of the things that I now ask...

- The wood they will use for the boards
    - The wood they will use for the sub-frame
    - The fixings (make sure they are screwing down the boards

QUOTE]

You also need to ask,

Is a foundation being put down for the sole plate.
    Are the main bearer posts set into steel sockets, and are the sockets set into concrete foundation.
    Are the main bearer posts, just hammered into the ground.
    Are all cut surfaces to be treated after install.
    Do the installers intend to bolt into my existing building, for a support plate.
    Will bolts be used for constructing the main support section.
    Will the area under my decking be properly prepped before installation.
    Will the perimeter of my deck base be sealed to keep furry friends from moving in .
    Will all covered gullies have an access trap installed for me.

The steeper price may also indicate a better quality job offered by professionals, as there are an awful lot of decking business's that have just popped up overnight, offering what seems like a good deal, remember the old saying, " if it sounds too good to be true....it probably is"

kadman :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tabydub

If i were you i would check the price with brooks in sandyford or eastwall area they supply to the trade and public and see if your been charged a good rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brody-Girl

Hi,
    I got my garden decked last summer. My deck size is bigger than the sizes you have mentioned and was definitely cheaper. Mine wasn’t rectangle in shape and included steps. The guy was great, worked with me totally and was fairly quick and clean. I could get you his number if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Finally got the decking done. E1,950 for 17x14 spruce deck, railings and with little blue LED lights embeded through the deck ( really sets it off at night ). They even stained it for me.

Couldn't be happier with the company ( 2 carpenters really ) that put it down for me. It took them about 3 days to do it, but it was time will spent IMO.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

I just got decking and went through the usual dilemas.
    Here are the conclusions i came to.

Type of wood : Doesn't matter. Just the colour you like matters. You walk on it for gods sake.

Nails or Screws : Doesnt matter either. See above.

How long it lasts : You can pay twice as much for wood that would last twice as long. You have to treat it every so often anyway. Why bother, just get new decking the next time. If your tastes change you can change the style all for the same price.

Biggest conclusion: After watching the guys put down the deck i have come to the conclusion that i could easily do it myself the next time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

pollyantic wrote:
    Biggest conclusion: After watching the guys put down the deck i have come to the conclusion that i could easily do it myself the next time.

Yep, professionals always make it look easy to diyer's.
    And diyer's always make it look hilarious to professionals.He.he.

It depends on what category you fit into. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muttleys_girl

hi stimpy! i like the sound of the company you got! i'm looking for the same kinda thing....blue LEDs and all!!! just pm'd you there for further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madchef

no forget it 12by14 cost me e450 including posts and rails,in treated larch timber.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

45o euro!! for what!

Did you do it yourself, has anyone actually done it themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I put down a 3.6m x 2.4m deck at the back of a semi d. DIY job cost about 500 euro max. You MUST know how to use a spirit level properly to lay a deck

Using 9" cavity blocks (1.09 in B&Q, 1.56 in builders yard!!!) and bags of hardcore I laid a sleeper wall all around the perimiter and one row across the middle. Foundation for block about 3". Cost less than 50 euro.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    X X
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    X X
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fixed a 3x2 treated sole plate to each row using metal straps that went under the block to the hardcore. Using the same 3x2 treated laid it at 400 centres. The weight of the blocks (most people wouldn't lift two at a time) and the 400 centres gives a really solid subframe. Cost of timber ?? think 100 euro.

Then purchased deck boards 2.4 lengths and fixed using screws. Cost of boards 300 euro max.

Our idea is to use plants at the edge to stop the kids falling off. The rails while looking nice on large decks make the smaller ones closed in.

Advertisement