Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im crackin up with WIN XP

Options
  • 06-05-2004 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

firstly im having major problems
    and this is the secont time im writing this whole post out again cos windows crashed last time and i lost it :(

1. every time (9 times out of 10) when i click into a folder or onto a webpage i get this black "dos" screen popup (i will attach an image of the screen) it stays up for about 5 seconds and goes away. dosent seem to do anything but im a bit worried about it cos im unsure what it is and it was neer there before...

2. emmm oh yea.. same kind of thing maybe 5 times out of 10 when i click into a folder the pc slowly freezes, but then i just see my Background, so all the icons and taskbar dissapear, and when it returns about 10 - 15 seconds later the folder dosent load and i get the send error report message for "windows explorer not responding"

3. Internet explorer.. 100% of the time it crashes is a pop try's to load from a website (popup ad scripts in any web pages) and also happens if i click on a link that is written to launch the page in a pop-up window (like on a forum board etc.. for pm's /u2u's)

i am 100% up to date with all patches updates etc from microsoft..
    and have run about 5 defrags in the last week, i also uninstalled a load of programs i dont need anymore but its still slow as hell....

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Macker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Black DOS screen......

and the send error screen.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

delete your temporary files and folders.
    go to mozilla.org and download firefox (about 7 - 9 megs) and never use internet explorer again, firefox is lovely and lets you perform tabbed browsing with ctrl + t.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Download Spybot - Search & Destroy, run a full scan an delete everything you find.

If you don't have Anti-Virus, download AVG anti-virus and do a full scan. If you do, update and scan.

With that error in IE - Click to get details about the error report, take a screenshot and post it up.

im using opera 7 now, and i like it
    but i have found that a lot of site are formatted for IE
    and look Cack on opera or netscape

thats why i wanted IE back (normally i dont want anything to do with microsoft)
    but some site look brutal on opera etc..

later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Do you have SP1 installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

These should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd be deleting that SURFAI~1.exe in your temp directory as shown in your Dos box pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Google came with with this.... a program called surfairy....

http://www.the-cauldron.net/viewtopic.php?t=618&view=next

cool, im running S&D now
    and after i'll update AVG and run a scan

after that ill delete that file from temp
    and try those 2 links DRE thanks

cheers lads ill do what i have so far and come back and let you know how i get on :)

• Advertisement

OK... i have run S&D spybot.. removed 40 odd threats...
    and i uninstalled that surfai~1 thing (some sort of program that replaces a unknown url with a search engine suggesting sites...)

and after that the pc is running a bit quicker.. it no longer gives me that DOS window upon loading folders and websites... it also opens folders nice and quick now without freezing..

so thats 2 of my 3 problems solved!!!

it just leaves the problem im having with opening links with pop-up scrips...
    it still freezes.(EG. i cant even open attachments on this board, cos they are launched in a new window).. and when i try to close IE i get send error report..
    i have copied the more info from the error and will attach it with this post..
    any suggestions greatly appreciated

i will update AVG and run a scan now

thanks for the help so far....

later
    Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah you just need to NEVER click yes to those stupid security things on some site , especially if its anything got to do with gain or adware.

Get a good virus scan and be careful in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

To be honest, the best thing you could do is a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

are you sure you've deleted all of IE's temporary internet files? that error message is referring to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

You should also get Ad-aware 6 and RegCleaner to check for spyware and things that should not be in your registry. What version of IE are you running? Have you installed all the latest patches for your particular version? A reinstall of IE might help but as Stephen said, make sure all the temp internet files have been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Try upgrading to a newer version of IE. I see you;re running version 6. Have you installed the service pack for it? If not, do so, If you have I'm afraid you may be out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

But there *are* no newer versions than 6. I know there's been a few slight updates, but nothing in the past year or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

there is service pack 1 and a few hotfixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

Use Spybot in addition to Adware as both of them together will catch 99% of the $hit out there, one of them on their own is not good enough. Also, I use Advant browser. Its an add-on to IE, so you get tabs + all sites work

Originally posted by ando
    Use Spybot in addition to Adware as both of them together will catch 99% of the $hit out there, one of them on their own is not good enough. Also, I use Advant browser. Its an add-on to IE, so you get tabs + all sites work

ANDO!! i was just lookin at yer homepage of the focus pic...
    is that in howth? i think i recognise the helicopter in the background...
    i thought that was mental the first time i saw it as i was drivin down from the summit!!

later
    macker

• Advertisement
Advertisement